5.0 out of 5 stars Short, clipped, brilliant
Published on 28 Nov. 2010 by Sarcosuchus

3.0 out of 5 stars Four stories
Short stories are inherently less satisfying than novels and so it proves, even with a writer as great as Raymond Chandler.

Published on 22 April 2012 by T. Bently

5.0 out of 5 stars Short, clipped, brilliant, 28 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
Four short novellas featuring everyone's favourite jaded shamus, Philip Marlowe. The stories were originally published with the protagonist's name as John Dalmas - Chandler hadn't yet found the right name for his most famous creation - but that's been rectified here. Quite right too, because Dalmas was Marlowe in all but name, with the same office, same car, and same sardonic wit, independent code of ethics and way with the dames.

Chandler's prose is superb, as you might expect, and his dry wit and way with similes made me laugh out loud more than once. Here are just some gems:

"The voice that answered was fat. It wheezed softly, like the voice of a man who had just won a pie-eating contest."

"I moved around slowly, like a cat in a strange house."

And, maybe best of all, "Did anyone invent this on purpose?" (whilst drinking Tequila).

Chandler's also too good to let all of this teeter into self parody - there's plenty of darkness to contrast Marlowe's wisecracks. In short, perfect "entry-level" Chandler for newcomers, and something to savour for established fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost without peer, 10 Dec. 2009
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
Having only got around to reading the novels after many years of watching the films, these books are an absolute treat. The words and thoughts on the page just have more impact than when they are spoken. I found myself re-reading sentences over and over.
The language is just brilliant and I can only think of Elmore Leonard who is even in the same class when it comes to crime fiction. Despite being set 50+ years ago they seem very contemporary and not all all past their time.
I would recommend all this series and to read them in order.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Chandler, 26 Jan. 2014
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
I love the way Chandler writes, and these stories (particularly the first) have the wonderful similies and turns of phrases that are such a joy in some of his novels. Some reviewers knock this book because it's 4 short stories, but I don't agree at all - I enjoy short stories, and think it's a shame that there aren't more collections and anthologies available.

4.0 out of 5 stars Chandler back in business, 30 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
Where Philip Marlowe goes, trouble and mordant wit pursue. So it is with this vintage collection. Oh, that some of our more modern crime writers had half the master's expertise! Oh, that they would buy a copy and find out how it's done!

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book., 9 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
Raymond Chandler is such a great story-teller, his tales are packed with detail, nuance and dry humour. Gripping, satisfying read.

3.0 out of 5 stars Four stories, 22 April 2012
T. Bently "tbently" (Berkshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)

I enjoyed the humour of the title story, as Marlowe is enlisted by an elderly miser to shield his son from a gold-digger ('I need a man good-looking enough to pick up a dame who has a sense of class but he's got to be tough enough to swap punches with a power shovel'). However, the remaining three tales failed to enthrall me. They seemed like husks, lacking the beating heart of the novels.

Die-hard fans may appreciate seeing how the thriller maestro's mature work developed from this, his journeyman days of writing for magazines. More general readers may prefer to stick with the novels.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's Ray Chandler! What can I say?, 8 Jan. 2014
Westham (Brussels, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
Sorry, you can't trust me on this. At least, I don't think you can. You see, there are those of us who see the three central pillars of English (and American) literature as Shakespeare, Milton and . . . Raymond Chandler. Of course, we could be wrong (particularly about Milton).

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmm., 8 Sept. 2010
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
A selection of short stories, each about 70 pages. To be honest, I'd recommend you stick to Chandler's main novels: Farewell, My Lovely; The High Window; The Lady in the Lake; The Little Sister; The Long Goodbye; Playback.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic Chandler, 27 April 2012
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
Four excellent Philip Marlowe novellas. If you like Chandler's novels, you like this. Evocative descriptions and snappy wise-guy dialogue. Most enjoyable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Present, 16 April 2009
C. Knott (Weston, Cheshire United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Trouble is My Business (Paperback)
Bought for my father, he's into Chandler at the moment. He thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Completes his collection

Trouble is My Business
Trouble is My Business by Raymond Chandler (Paperback - 26 Jan. 1989)
Used & New from: £0.01