4.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wonderful

2.0 out of 5 stars Mermaids On The Golf Course
Published on 17 Dec. 2004

4.0 out of 5 stars Weird and wonderful, 5 Jan. 2013
G. Park (Benton, North Tyneside United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Mermaids on the Golf Course (Mass Market Paperback)
I love Patricia Highsmith. My favourite story in this collection is "The Stuff of Murder", in which she describes a dysfunctional relationship and a weak male central character, who you are somehow drawn to, perhaps because of his weakness, his irrationality. Common themes in Highsmith, along with the bizarre and horrific incidents which she narrates so deadpan its funny. This particular story was made into a TV episode of "Chillers" in 1990, starring Ian Holm.
Having recently read "Beautiful Shadow", Andrew Wilson's biography of Highsmith, I realise why her work is so convincing despite it's weirdness. Her god-daughter described her as "weird, dissolute and unkind". She was quite socially dysfunctional and yet was obsessed by people. She was rather bipolar, possibly a bit autistic. In short, she was genuinely weird, her writing was an honest expression of herself, and she was totally dedicated to it.
Not her best writing here, "The Talented Mr. Ripley" is surely that, but even her worst writing is compelling.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 15 Mar. 2015
OK

2.0 out of 5 stars Mermaids On The Golf Course, 17 Dec. 2004
By A Customer
I found this book on the bookshelf of my home, owned by my landlord, and was quite excited A) because I was attending a short story writing course at the time and B) Patricia wrote The Talented Mr Ripley. I was very dissapointed. None of the storys seen to have any endings, and even if her intent was to keep them somewhat vague - leaving the reader to guess themselves, she failed at that too. I can only imagine that she cashed in on her fame and released a book of short stories that were dull and rushed.

Mermaids on the Golf Course
Mermaids on the Golf Course by Patricia Highsmith (Mass Market Paperback - 25 Sept. 1986)
Used & New from: £0.01