on 11 January 2013
This is a great autobiography and I am not surprised that it reached a level of half a million of copies. It's been very popular in Australia. I have spent half of my professional life in PNG, visiting Australia many times a year. Perhaps that's the reason the genuine Aussie life is quite close to my heart.
Best wishes,
Dr Kris Korzeniowski (a distant relative of JOSEPH CONRAD KORZENIOWSKI)
on 10 October 2014
Once I started this book I couldn't put it down. Despite the bad start in life young Bert Facey worked hard to survive and enjoyed doing so. Whatever he did, he did well. What an amazing man, to bounce back from his misfortunes and become a well respected citizen and even had a street named after him. I loved the book and will read it again one day.
on 13 August 2010
All the way through this book I had to remind myself this was a true story. A tale of great strength and great love through what would now seem unendurable circumstances and sometimes inhuman treatment, especially from his mother.
A remarkable snapshot of a life that makes us truly appreciate the comforts of our modern world.
Read and pass it on, it's too good to sit on the shelf!
on 15 September 2013
it illustrates how tough life was in country Australia not so very long ago and the resilience of the Australians of that time and before. it is truly humbling that someone can suffer so much and yet remain positive. a lovely book and required reading for understanding Australia's development.
on 20 January 2016
Amazing (auto?)biography about an amazing man leading a fascinating life in--if I recall correctly--rural Australia as well as participating in one or both of the World Wars in Europe. I read this book several years ago and wouldn't mind re-reading it. I would certainly recommend this book.
on 26 March 2013
This is the story of one of the men who built Australia. A remarkable man in his generosity of spirit and endurance under the most difficult of circumstance. He is an example of what is the best in Australia and his simple way of writing his story is moving and evocative.
on 12 December 2012
I went to bed earlier than usual, just to read this book. - was sorry when I reached the last page. - My son took the book on holiday (he never reads books), even rang me from abroad to say that he was half wway through it, - I would recommend this book to any-one!.
on 9 October 2014
I bought this book as a christmas gift for a friend as I had enjoyed reading it. The book has been around for a long time and the pages are browned at the edges, I was disappointed but as it didnt cost very much, what did I expect, a great read anyway.
on 23 May 2013
I bought this book after 'loaning' my copy out to an acquaintance; of course I never got it back!! Had to get another copy one of the best books I have ever read. Book out of print for a number of years so where do you go Amazon !
on 2 February 2012
This book will astound any reader. An endearing story of life that will move anyone with a heart. Maybe will help you realise you don't need anything much in this modern world. Just some honesty and well meaning, and this book