5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic Novel
What a marvellous book.
On the face of it a simple coming of age story, that of a young man leaving home to walk around Spain. A very layman's view of it, as this however is written for the poet inside us. Wonderful language for a long lost age where you really could abandon yourself completely and travel in its purest sense.
Beware though as this book may make...
Published on 1 Mar 2004 by Ross Tulloch

3.0 out of 5 stars Spain before it all happened!
Laurie Lee belonged to a generation (those who were young in the 1930s)who both had it tough, but were fortunate enough to have been born at a time which demanded of them a sense of purpose. Their generation was at Europe's great crossroads, the decades in which communism, fascism, and liberal democracy met, and did not like the look of one another. All these political...
Published on 26 July 2009 by Strangerbird

‹ Previous | 16 7 814 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars xmas present, 16 Jan 2013
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
brought for my husband as i new he wanted to read this book as a chrismas present and he has now read it and was very pleased with it . it came very quickly and good condition .

4.0 out of 5 stars book, 30 Dec 2012
when I ordered the book I didn't realise it was illustrated and this is a bonus and will be glad to pass on to others to read !!

5.0 out of 5 stars Busy at work - read this and slow down...., 25 Nov 2012
Alan Jordan "Alanj" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
I keep buying this book then giving it away - a book for those who lead a very busy life, a book that allows you to lift the curtain a little, to glimpse what could be and to smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars A vivid journey through life and Spain., 4 Oct 2011
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
I have just read this book cover to cover in one day and have loved every step of the way. It is beautiful and captivating. A wonderfully descriptive book it carries you along through Laurie Lee's life and journey rolled into one.
Brilliant.

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, 3 Sep 2011
John Breeze "Breezy" (Spain) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
This book was bought originally for my wife as she felt that present day writers on the whole lacked the talent of yesteryears. I have since read the book and found it a pleasant change from the modern luke warm efforts and I am looking forward to reading some more of this author's books.

4.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, 30 Oct 2014
I enjoyed this book and learned a lot about the Spanish Civil War. The writing style is beautiful. The author's attempt to join the fighting and what actually happened is alternately sad and amusing.
I recommend to anyone interested in history or who has enjoyed Lee's other books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wanderer's tale, 1 Aug 2014
Meritreya (Camberley, UK) - See all my reviews
Just fabulous. How I love Laurie Lee. His writing is so evocative of Spain at the time just prior to its civil war, and yet the language is modern. There is no sense one is reading a book written so long ago. A poetic and realistic writer. Thoroughly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars recent history personalised., 6 Aug 2014
A beautifully descriptive account of of a personal experience which few of us would have the courage to undertake.
An historical people narrative during a period of festering unrest.
Very entertaining.

4.0 out of 5 stars full of wonderful imagery. I read "Cider With Rosie" at school ..., 13 Nov 2014
A lyrical and beguiling book, full of wonderful imagery. I read "Cider With Rosie" at school and hated it - my teacher's fault, I think - but after "As I walked out" I might revisit Rosie.

5.0 out of 5 stars Will have you packing your Ipad and heading out the front door for a walk!, 19 July 2014
N (Auchenblae, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Mid thirties Spain and the miserable state of the poor and disadvantaged are vividly brought to life. Full of interesting characters, the freedom of the road and the unfettered spirit of youth.

‹ Previous | 16 7 814 | Next ›

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning
As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee (Paperback - 31 May 1973)
Used & New from: £0.01