5.0 out of 5 stars Romantic Novel
What a marvellous book.
On the face of it a simple coming of age story, that of a young man leaving home to walk around Spain. A very layman's view of it, as this however is written for the poet inside us. Wonderful language for a long lost age where you really could abandon yourself completely and travel in its purest sense.
Beware though as this book may make...
Published on 1 Mar 2004 by Ross Tulloch

3.0 out of 5 stars Spain before it all happened!
Published on 26 July 2009 by Strangerbird

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Spain before it all happened!, 26 July 2009
Strangerbird (United Kingdom.) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
Laurie Lee belonged to a generation (those who were young in the 1930s)who both had it tough, but were fortunate enough to have been born at a time which demanded of them a sense of purpose. Their generation was at Europe's great crossroads, the decades in which communism, fascism, and liberal democracy met, and did not like the look of one another. All these political notions became embroiled in the Spanish Civil War, a prototype to the great conflict which was to follow. Laurie Lee's highly readable account of his remarkable walk across Spain is a valuable primary source to a better appreciation, in the Anglo mind, of the canvas on which the Civil War would be fought.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Laurie Lee!, 15 Dec 2010
George Gray "old bookie" (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
Read Cider with Rosie first, and I was hooked!This guy can write! I'm now on A Moment of War, the next in the series.Cannot recommend this man's work too highly

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspiring read that will make you want to pack up and go..., 29 Jan 2010
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
I absolutely love this book and have read it several times, in fact I'm currently reading it again in preparation for my up-and-coming trip across Spain, which is what inspired me to write this review.

For me it is the beauty of the language and the innocence of his tale that capture me. You can't get any more basic than a young man heading out with a knapsack to travel and find freedom. Freedom of the road, freedom of the soul... it is as relevant today as any day, if not more so.

I also adore the fact that this book highlights that the world of travel need not be far-flung, it need not always be exotic... beauty and difference can be found in the simplest of scenes, you just have to look with fresh eyes.

5.0 out of 5 stars You won't be disappointed, 3 Nov 2008
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
This book paints an incredible picture of Spain in the 1930s; poor, under- developed and on the brink of civil war. A genuine, reflective, thoughtful tale, what an incredible adventure it must have been.

I wish I'd done it...

5.0 out of 5 stars LAURIE LEE As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning, 3 Sep 2008
Blue Yates (Staffordshire UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
Widely regarded as one of the greatest examples of travel writing ever made, 'As I walked out one midsummer morning' is a massively engaging book.
At once visceral, heartfelt, honest, bursting with humanity and in some part disturbing, this account of a young man's walk through the Spain of the 1930s is a vicarious experience that transports the reader into an unforgettable but lost world.
There are occasions when Lee seems to have arrived at truly momentous turning points. After crossing the Guadarrama peaks he first sees Madrid in the plain of La Mancha and his knowledge of Spain is to become transformed by his experience of the capital. And then later, when he meets a Spanish sailor who portentiously warns "I don't know who you are, but if you want to see blood, stick around -you're going to see plenty."
Lee's politics are not overtly expressed, but his love of the people and their way of life is clear. Written later and first published in 1969, a lesser writer would have a built in nostalgia for a lost ideal, but not so here. His record of the Spanish rural way of life is far from idealistic.
This is a book that I would recommend to all readers, young and old alike, and is one of the best books that I have ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars wonderfully read, 25 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This audio book is absolutely fantastic.Kenneth Branagh uses the range of his voice perfectly and it is really great to listen to,again and again and again...

5.0 out of 5 stars Glowing lyricism, 20 April 2006
G. P. Tanner (Nr Bridgwater, Somerset United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
Outstanding. Beautiful and evocative prose describing Lee's walk from Slad to London, where he worked on a pre-war building site for several months, and on to Spain where he wandered, busking until his violin fell apart because of the heat. Rich in the wonder and freedom that only the adolescent can truly feel.

4.0 out of 5 stars Oh that we could do this now, 14 April 2014
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
I read this after watching Cider with Rosie on the TV and found the same vibrancy in this book that drew me to the TV programme. Sadly it would be no longer possible to experience the joys that Lee found in Spain and I feel that we have lost something that most of us will never experience except through works like this.

I would recommend this to all the young of the current generation who are experiencing unemployment and lack of hope in the knowledge that they would appreciate just how little their situation has changed and that the opportunities Lee expected are not materialising for them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thoroughly enjoyed this book., 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
I found this book very different to those I normally read. It is not a romance or dectective novel but simply the story of a young man who left his home in the Cotswolds in 1934 and walked to London and then through Spain. He earned his living by playing his violin. What most absorbed me were the descriptions of the scenery he walked through, the cities he lived in and the people he met.

5.0 out of 5 stars Book, 25 Mar 2014
This review is from: As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning (Paperback)
Really enjoyed reading this book, it made me feel like getting up and going out travelling myself. Spain is one of my favourite places so I guess it meant so much more to me.

‹ Previous | 1 2 37 | Next ›

As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning
As I Walked Out One Midsummer Morning by Laurie Lee (Paperback - 31 May 1973)
Used & New from: 0.72