4.0 out of 5 stars Fore!!
Published on 20 Oct. 2007 by Ian Wood, Author of 'Here's 2 ...

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware Kindle version
Published on 18 Jan. 2011 by Hamsun Lad

4.0 out of 5 stars Fore!!, 20 Oct. 2007
Some years ago a friend of mine encouraged me to take up Golf so I could join him in a strange world of tournaments, competitions and social events that would otherwise be closed to me. He offered to take me out on a round to get me into the `swing' of things. Some five hours, one hundred and sixty strokes (a very liberal scoring procedure was employed) and five lost balls later both he and I were suffering some frustration. I went to a driving range but had to be smuggled out of the back door should the gentleman in the next booth regain consciousness whilst I was still on the premises. I booked an hour with a `Pro' who refunded my money after thirty five minutes. Not to be put off I had a second round with my friend who, on the sixth green, told me that if I didn't give up golf he would.

So I approached Wodehouse's collection of Golf stories `The Clicking of Cuthbert' with some trepidation. However I was mistaken to be suspicious, these stories mixing the trials and tribulations of golf with the golfer's attempts to succeed in love or other worthwhile pursuits really are a triumph.

The Oldest Member of the club sums up all aspects of golf in the most wonderful language , such as the following description of weekend golfers `Like all Saturday foursomes, it is in difficulties. One of the patients is zigzagging about the fairway like a liner pursued by submarines. Two others seem to be digging for buried treasure or killing snakes. The remaining cripple, who has just foozled a mashie-shot, is blaming his caddie.'

And so I have found a way to participate in the world of golf which was closed to a man of my sporting prowess. Whilst my peers go out for eighteen holes I hole up with the Oldest Member on the terrace of the Mavis Bay golf links and laugh at them. Like the Oldest Member I'm not averse to putting myself on the outside of a cup of Tea and a slice of Cake.

5.0 out of 5 stars Usual brilliance, 25 Feb. 2013
When you buy Wodehouse you know what to expect. Lots of upper class simpletons, quiet, but understated geniuses, and a host of domineering maiden aunts. If, like me, you are a golfer, the thought of Lenin playing was brilliant, but I won't spoil the story for anyone yet to read it. The book starts wonderfully with Cuthbert's tale, and the whole collection encompasses many individuals that portray the same characteristics seen in modern day club memberships. I came late in life to Wodehouse, but realised very quickly, through the Jeeves books, that it's a world I am infinitely grateful to have found, something my wife has been telling me yor years. Despite the fact that she's absolutely right (and I had to admit it several times), I still wholeheartedly recommend this to anyone, and defy you to read it without a smile on your face.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Master at his Best, 9 Dec. 2010
Lawrence Blackmore "LJB" (Monaco) - See all my reviews
Wodehouse is without doubt one of the greatests writers of comic prose in the English Language. Most are familiar with Jeeves and Blandings, but his golf stories are less well-known. In these he combines his clear worship of the game with his writing talent and understanding of human nature to produce a collection of wonderfully funny short stories, narrated by "the oldest member" who shares with us his wisdom, experience and personal prejudicies.

Set of course much earlier in the 20th century, some of the terms and particularly club names are different to ours of today, but these are easily picked-up and indeed the historical aspects of the book are in themselves of interest. If you are a golfer you will relate very closely to the frustrations and joy of the ups-and-downs of the game as told here. But even if you do not play you will get great pleasure from this gem.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Clicking of Cuthbert, 7 Jan. 2013
Not laugh out loud, but plenty of smiles and chuckles
Found myself reading it well into the night. Great stuff.

4.0 out of 5 stars A woman is only a woman, but a hefty drive is a slosh, 6 Dec. 2003
This review is from: The Clicking of Cuthbert and Other Golf Stories (Paperback)
Probably most famous for his Jeeves and Wooster books, P.G. Wodehouse was an avid golfer. 'The Clicking of Cuthbert' was originally published in 1922 and is the first of two books Wodehouse wrote about golf (the other being 'The Heart of a Goof'). It's also one of the first books by Wodehouse that I read, back in the days when I did play the game myself. However while I have, just like the Oldest Member, long since retired it's still a book I can pick up and enjoy.
Rather than a straightforward novel, the book is a collection of ten short stories. With the exception of the tenth, each story is 'told' by the club's Oldest Member. There is a common theme throughout the stories the Oldest Member tells - how golf is vital to success in every aspect of life. The last story, however, is my favourite one in the book. It's a historical tale, telling of the coming of a strange new religion called Gowf to the country of Oom.
I think that this book would appeal more to the golfing community than to the uninitiated. There are certain terms and phrases specific to the game, which mightn't make much sense to a non-golfer and could possibly break the flow of the story a little. Furthermore, some of the terminology associated with the game has changed since the book was written. Clubs are referred to in the book as baffies, niblicks and mashies while, at the time Wodehouse wrote the book, the word bogey meant par. On the other hand, it's still a book written by P.G. Wodehouse - he does have a very distinctive style of writing and certainly appears to have a hugely loyal fanbase. If you've read other books by him and enjoyed them, odds are you'll enjoy this, regardless of your expertise on the golf course. If you haven't read any Wodehouse before, I'd probably suggest starting with a Blandings or a Jeeves novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just a really good read......, 9 Oct. 2013
It was a perfect holiday read........and even though I'm not a golf fan, I love the images that Wodehouse portrays!

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware Kindle version, 18 Jan. 2011
As a devoted Plum fanatic I made this my first Kindle download. Dissapointed with the result. It has no active table of contents so you can't skip to particular chapters which is very annoying. Also on kindle front cover does not seem to exist.On the same page in which chapter one ends chapter two begins thus not separated as in a real book which is also disconcerting.The same thing occurs in each chapter. It seems this is just laziness on the part of the digital publisher and you can do nothing about it.Expect to find problems like this on other downloads especially if they're free.Certainly not replicating a book reading experience if you ask me! Having said all this I think the Kindle is a brilliant piece of kit.

5.0 out of 5 stars The First Volume of Oldest Member Golf Stories, 23 Dec. 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Can anyone find new sources of humor in golf? Certainly, it takes a great humorist to do so. P.G. Wodehouse pulled off this feat by combining an obvious love for the game with sense of irony about the humiliations that golfers experience for their sport, a subtle mix of love and how golf can complicate that emotion, and a hilariously overbearing narrator who is obviously the biggest windbag in the golf club.
Be sure to read the book's foreword in which P.G. Wodehouse describes how he was taken by golf.
As the Clicking of Cuthbert opens, a young man is about to give away his clubs and quit golf. The Oldest Member relates to the young man The Clicking of Cuthbert in which an earnest young golfer in love finds the way to his beloved's heart through a most circuitous detour through the drawing room to discuss literature.
A Woman Is Only a Woman explores how falling for the wrong woman (one who doesn't care for golf) can blight life and friendship.
A Mixed Threesome shows how the judicious man is careful to whom he introduces his fiancée . . . while looking at the pleasures of golf compared to the pleasures of marriage. It's very funny.
In Sundered Hearts, a misunderstanding about golf leads to a marriage and a marital mishap.
In The Salvation of George Mackintosh, Wodehouse looks at the awful pest . . . the non-stop-talking golfer.
In Ordeal by Golf, that old tradition of doing business on the course takes a predictable turn as two men fight it out for advancement by playing with the boss.
The Long Hole looks at both the potential for cross-country golf to be an adventure and the trickiness of the rules.
The Heel of Achilles looks at the role of confidence in building up the golfer.
The Rough Stuff returns to an old theme of Wodehouse's, the need to let your emotions go to make contact with the heart of the one you love.
The Coming of Gowf is a writer's fantasy about creating a fanciful golf story. Anyone who has ever struggled with an editor will be laughing for days.
Fore!!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Cousin Recommended this, 28 Feb. 2013
As I'm learning golf I have been told that I really will enjoy this book. I haven't started it yet, but I look forward very much to reading it as it's been very highly recommended by a cousin who is also interested in the wonderful game of golf!

5.0 out of 5 stars One of PG Wodehouse's best, 28 Jan. 2013
I have read this before, and it always makes me smile. Having it on kindle makes it so much easier to re-read

The Clicking of Cuthbert and Other Golf Stories
The Clicking of Cuthbert and Other Golf Stories by P. G. Wodehouse (Paperback - 27 May 1999)
Used & New from: £0.01