on 22 September 2004
This is my favourite HCI book plainly because it lacks all the boring jargon most books like this seem to contain. It contains all the basics you need to know, in a way you can easily understand. I find it best as a quick reference book. It's so easy to read it's probably the only academic book that hasn't bored me senseless yet and I keep picking up now and then to refer to. I constantly recommend it to fellow HCI and usability enthusiasts. However do not buy this book if you want something that's really gonna plough into the great depths of HCI.
on 15 June 2013
I'm starting out on usability and this book is a great starter. It has a lot of stuff in there, like user capabilities, interface layout and more the development rather than the actual fancy design aspects of interfaces - which is what I wanted.

It covers the fundamentals of what I wanted.

The only fault would be the quite old screens which give it a bit dated feel to it, but it's hard to keep up with the fancy aspect of design.
on 14 January 2001
I thought that this book was a really useful guide, that gave specific names, dates and experiments to human interaction with computers.
Although dry at some point, over all I found this a good pickup-at-any-time kind of book.
I found the book really useful in my A level IT course when talking about designing an interface. What should it contain, how should it be laid out, where etc.