4.0 out of 5 stars Savvy guide to social networks
Published on 1 Jun 2009 by Rolf Dobelli

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for
I was looking for a book on how to implement social networking for my website clients. This book tells excited stories about other people's experiences with lots of name dropping but I did not find the depth of understanding and analysis I was looking for. It is very American in its language and narrative, which is great if you are American, but I am not.
Published on 8 Mar 2011 by Forth

4.0 out of 5 stars Savvy guide to social networks, 1 Jun 2009
Rolf Dobelli "getAbstract" (Switzerland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: 33 Million People in the Room: How to Create, Influence, and Run a Successful Business with Social Networking (Hardcover)
If your idea of forming a social network is still working the crowd at a cocktail party, drink up and join the 21st century. As any digitally literate teenager can confirm, online social networks are today's worldwide meet-and-mingle zones. Will joining a social network help you professionally or personally? Could it hurt you in any way? Which networks should you join? How should you use them? Social network guru Juliette Powell answers these questions and some that are more sophisticated in her savvy new book. She discusses LinkedIn, which she cites as the best social network for business people. She closely examines Facebook and MySpace, the most popular personal social networks. She explains the pluses and minuses of joining social networks, and provides useful tips on their protocols and customs. If you aren't yet at home in the online world of social networks, getAbstract recommends Powell's book as an excellent basic travel guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars The penny drops, 11 Jun 2009
We've all heard about facebook fatigue, we've also heard about users of facebook having lower IQs etc. That's not the point. The point is social networking. It's here, its now, get involved and make the best of it, it is changing the fabric of our society. From Julliet Powell I learnt from her excellent & easily readable book what social networking is and how it changes everything, from how it helped fund a presidential campaign to how it made a broke dude a millionaire. Forget the media re-direction and attention grabbing headlines. Read this book, understand social networking, get linked in and hold on for the ride. I'm recommending it to my friends. Need say no more :-)

4.0 out of 5 stars A wake up call for major customer-facing organisations, 8 Nov 2009
Jonathan Kettleborough (Cheshire, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
In this book, Juliette walks us through a number of key issues associated with social media, from getting started with social networking to understanding the strength of Microcelebrity. This book also takes you on a very brief tour of the key social media sites such as LinkedIn, Facebook, MySpace and Twitter etc., explaining the key users and markets of each, thereby immediately giving you a starting place and potential `home' for your online social network.

Unlike many books on the shelves at the moment, 33 million people has a good number of real-life examples, and clearly demonstrates the power of social networks. It shows how the well-applied `small voice' can become an exceptionally large voice and in one case how the power of mass movement actually brought a company to its knees.

Whilst no-doubt aimed at people wanting to understand the social media space more effectively, the big message for me was that it allowed literally millions of people (customers) to articulate their feelings about products, services and corporate behaviour. I would hope that this power of social networking can be used to ensure that organisations are more aware of their customers and therefore less likely to abuse the custom they are given and often take for granted.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, 8 Mar 2011

4.0 out of 5 stars When you realise that you don't know what you 'don't know'!!, 26 Feb 2011
I found this book quite staggering! Without being blown away with loads of jargon I have finally been convinced that I have a lot of catching up to do.

I'd kept away from Social Media for years. Not because I was unsociable but because I didn't feel I needed the tools to be a good friend, colleague, neighbour, etc. The danger is being left behind because it't not just about your attitudes but also of those around you.

For anybody doubting just how far we have come, and are yet to go, with Social Media, they should read this excellently written book and take heed. The potential consequences are staggering.

5.0 out of 5 stars In what room do you want to be?, 24 Feb 2009
Kulmala Marko Insano Oy "Marko Kulmala" (Helsinki, Finland) - See all my reviews
Juliette Powell's 33M People in the Room makes sense. A lot of sense. It's straight forward brain fertilizer to make us understand what we have in our hands for the first time in the history of mankind.

Capitalizing social networks. Well, that's something many have done way before web. With great examples Juliette makes us see the difference. When it was before about who you happen to know, now it's about who knows you AND who you can contact and ask help, support, advice.

One of the benefits of the book is that it is not based on mystic jargon. It simply proves it's message.

4.0 out of 5 stars Social Media for large companies, 3 Sep 2011
This is a great book to find out how big organisations are using social media. I tend to read business books for small and medium sized enterprises. This does not fit that box in my view. It has some interesting case studies that could be related to businesses of all sizes, but I would have to say this is big business focused. That said, I found it quite an interesting read. If you want small business advice related to internet marketing, Internet Marketing: The Full Story is probably more suited. Reading them both together will provide a wider view of the subject. This book is very case study led, the other is the 'what to do' type.