5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for junior software developers
Published 23 months ago by Gojko Adzic

3.0 out of 5 stars Do more, do better, do it now
I feel a bit intimated by this book. 20 hours a week self-study, regular stern programming exercises, rigorous test driven development. Do more, do better, do it now.

Published on 21 Oct 2011 by Crab Bucket

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Do more, do better, do it now, 21 Oct 2011
This review is from: The Clean Coder: A Code of Conduct for Professional Programmers (Robert C. Martin) (Paperback)

No-one can doubt that esteemed author Uncle Bob Martin does all this and more. But what about programming mortals? Should we aspire to join the programming Gods and follow the advice of this book or should we just run away and hide underneath a faded Metallica T-shirt?

The book is well written, engaging and food for thought. It's its hectoring quality I object to. Besides, if you want to know how to write better software read Rapid Development by Steve McConnell. Genuinely helpfully advice not just relentless polemic.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for junior software developers, 30 Nov 2012
Gojko Adzic (London) - See all my reviews
Uncle Bob Martin's eagerly awaited sequel to Clean Code, cleverly named The Clean Coder, is a powerful argument for professionalism in software development. People who'll benefit from this book the most are programmers at the start of their careers or those who are burned out and work with software and companies plagued by technical and organisational issues. The book has a lot of sound advice to offer, in particular around commitment, planning and estimation, personal ethics and collaboration, as well as an overview of techniques such as TDD, pair programming, and automated acceptance testing.

The gist of the book is, for me, captured in the following quotes:

- "You can't take pride and honor in something that you can't be held accountable for"
- "QA should find nothing"
- "The true professional knows that delivering function at the expense of structure is a fool's errand."
- "Woe to the software developer who entrusts his career to his employer."
- "Professionals speak truth to power. Professionals have the courage to say no to their managers."

Those who don't suffer that much from poor team or software will not benefit that much from The Clean Coder, but there are a few gems in for them as well. I found the argument against flow (or "The Zone") particularly interesting, as I've never looked at the topic in the way described in the book. References to probability based estimation were also interesting, as well as explanations of some more exotic time management strategies. Most importantly, through many interesting war stories, we as readers get to peek into Uncle Bob's experience and learn from his mistakes.

If I was picky and had to choose a few negative things to say, I'd probably point out the start of the book as unnecessarily off-putting and negative. It paints a picture with a clear adversarial relationship between programmers and management or clients, which doesn't really match my background or current situation. Sure there have been a few bad apples in my project basket, but the picture painted was a bit too negative for my taste. On the other hand, people who need to hear the message of this book will probably identify with that dark painting of their reality. I've also never been good at reading books with lots of invented dialogue, something in my reading circuits makes me skip invented conversations. This made it hard to follow the flow of thoughts in some parts of the book but it has more to do with my attention deficit and reading skills than the book itself.

So to conclude, this book is not going to replace the The Pragmatic Programmer as my favourite "you have to read this first" suggestion to new members of our profession, but it deserves to be on that list.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best book ever, 18 July 2011
There are some gems in this book, but stories from the authors life takes up too much space. And some of the really important things like testing is covered in very few pages. Also the "programming" chapter the author spends time ranting over things that does not work for him, but at the same time acknowledges that it is likely to be a highly personal thing. It seems like there is a lot of stuff thats just in the book to make a given page count..

All in all its an interesting read, but I don't think its a 5 star book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really great book I would suggest it, 14 Nov 2013
This is the first book that I've ever read by "Uncle Bob" Martin, and I wish I hadn't waited so long to pick one up. I've been an IT professional—or so I thought—for more than twenty-three years, but I learned from this book what it means to be a professional. Martin wraps forty years of programming experience into an easy-to-read, thought-provoking book. He covers such topics as professionalism, saying no, saying yes, practicing, mentoring, apprenticeship, and craftsmanship.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book for people starting out, 3 July 2014
This book provided a lot of inspiration for me as a young programmer. I realised that there are some things that are expected of a professional that I need to fulfill and meet.
It prompted me to look at the team that I am working on and work out how to work more proffessionally in that team.
I would recommend this to anyone else starting out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Professionalism, 20 Jun 2014
There are a couple of anecdotes in this book that have really stuck with me. One of the fundamental problems in software development is that it is not treated as a profession and this book explains how this can be changed. An important read for any aspiring software professional.

5.0 out of 5 stars Changed the way I approach my role..., 5 Jan 2014
When I bought this book I thought I was purchasing something that would help me clean my code, should probably read the intros!

Despite there not being a line of code in the book I'm really pleased I got it and can honestly say it's changed the way I think at work.

I've realised how unprofessional I have been at times and the book has actively changed that.

Following on from reading this I've gone back and bought "Uncle Bobs" Clean Code and Agile practices books.

If you are serious about being a professional software developer this is well worth a read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyed reading this book, 3 Aug 2013
Adil Hussain "adilson05uk" (London) - See all my reviews
Good book about what it means to be a professional software developer. It's not so much about "code" itself as it is about "the coder". Really enjoyed reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read for every developer, 7 Feb 2013
P. Apostolopoulos "papo2000" (Athens,Greece) - See all my reviews
Robert C Martin is a well respected guru on the software development scene. His experience and his views on modern software development are well respected and eventually very well written. A well written book, that aims to 'transfer' some core principles to every developer no matter the experience on how to properly write, test and maintain your professionalism

5.0 out of 5 stars A definite complement to Journeyman to Master in the track of the aspiring Software Craftsman, 30 Oct 2012
My first book in the track of professionalism was "The Pragmatic Programmer: From Journeyman to Master", I was recommended the book from an seasoned colleague who I regarded highly. I got the book, and devoured it in a couple o f days. The thing I remember while reading it - was that so much in it made so much sense! It all felt natural, every part of it struck home.

This book - is no different. Equally funny as thoughtful; the style is anecdotal but challenging. Given the few chances you get to receive such wisdom and depth from a true master, this is a must for anyone aspiring to become a true craftsman. I learnt a lot from this book - not only that you must not forget how others perceive you as a professional, but also that a true professional knows when to say no. This is one of the subjects I would say the book has a leaning emphasis on; how a professional ought to behave and act in hard times.

No chapter is boring as it is opened with a good story from the life of Robert C. Martin himself, as well as disclosing his past weaknesses for everyone to see - and rightfully so. We must never forget that the journey starts with a step, and lasts until the end of our life.

If you want a book filled to the brim with Wisdom and Laughs. This is the one.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›