Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 9 February 2008
I'm planning to build my first website. Content is King. I've done the due diligence bit, and decided that Joomla! is the one for me, but it seemed so complex.

Well that's no longer the case; Barrie Norman has produced an excellent guide to the brand new 1.5 version of Joomla! and having read it I feel entirely confident that I'll soon have a site up and running.

The book is very well produced, excellent quality, seems to cover all that you'll need to know and is well laid out. It's well written in that time-proven style; tell 'em what you're gonna tell 'em; tell them; tell them what you've told them. The order of the chapters is logical and it is easy to follow through.

One of the hardest concepts to grasp is that of Sections, Categories, and Articles, but the author leads you through this in an easy 'building knowledge as you go' style which results in you ultimately gaining a full understanding of all the constituent parts and how thay fit together.

The example sites for a school, restaurant and blog site make for really useful case studies.

The interviews with existing owners of a variety of sites explaining why they chose Joomla!, what they like about it, what extra add-ons they are using, and relating their user experiences are also really useful.

There are also a couple of sections on that oh so vital black-art of Search Engine Optimisation (SEO), and it's great to get the heads-up on all these important tips & tricks before creating your website. It'll be so much simpler to get it right first time, and there's no point in building a site that nobody can find!

I am entirely confident that a few hours reading this book will pay back many-fold when it comes to actually developing my site.

I would recommend that anybody embarking on a Joomla! site build buys this book and reads it first.
on 11 April 2010
I purchased this book on the recommendations given on various sites and have found the book invaluable. There are times where a good reference book is better than trying to get the answers from google on-line. This is the book to keep by your side when trying to produce websites using Joomla! The content is written in easy to understand language for the complete novice to read and digest.
on 16 February 2011
I was looking for a good book for joomla, I have read three of them but I have never been really satisfied, then I bought Barrie's User Guide, I found not only a great manual on Joomla but a real gold mine of tips on how to build a successful website.
To learn effective technics with Joomla and even more this is THE book !
on 25 October 2008
This book put me off Joolma! Reading up to 3/4 of the book I get the impression that North finds Joolma hard to work himself through his negative comments by way of knocking the Joomla GUI - e.g. this would have been better there, and that should have been called... and so on, ugh; so why bother? It's gathering dust. I created my own bespoke CMS in the end.
on 19 May 2008
I bought the book because I wanted to know how cms works. The book indeed had helped me understand cms via joomla. If you are going to get advanced in any ready made CMS then think twice. First Consider learning php, HTML, and CSS
Secondly consider living with joomla taking over apache (hijacks apache). in other word joomla becames the main source of instability in apache. going back to the book, this is one of the best books relate to CMS which I would rate it Five Stars if there were no minor errors. If you are going to get advanced in joomla might as well consider learning programming, html , and css. If you are a business minded person who has not got much rooms for computer skills and that you want off the shelf product then this book is the best source. Joomla models are ready made scripts for example login level in joomla has 9 levels. It will take long to produce if you are going to do that yourself and even though, it might be full of security halls. This product is a result of complex project that took lots of people to produce. I recommend joomla to anyone but those who want to learn web programming for the reason being you will be too dependent on it. however it is recommend for web developers and anyone who want to create websites quickly with minimum cost. If you tested joomla on linux and windows you should have noticed the difference specially when it comes to images.

Note
CMS makes development of a website easy, if you want to learn web programming then this portal(joomla) is going to slow you down. why? because it makes things easy for you. However if you want to learn how to create a website the hard way , then ready made cms is not your solution. Personally, I don't like off-the shelf cms because they are rigid, backward and not designed for programmers. put it this way, why learning joomla if learning php is better?. PHP is the language created joomla.