4.0 out of 5 stars Practical based approach to Unix Systems
This is a solid book on Unix based systems (inc Solaris, OS X, Linux ), with particular emphasis on practical programming. I used the first edition when I did my HNC in Computing at college. I had the first edition out on loan from the college library and had no hesitation to buy the 2nd edition when it come out.
A few things to note, having some C skills is...
Published on 1 Jan 2005 by jdpearsonkirk

2.0 out of 5 stars very bad organization
IT IS A VERY BAD ORGANIZED BOOK ON OPERATION SYSEM. SOMETIME, JUST CAN'T FOLLOW.
Published on 20 April 1998

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical based approach to Unix Systems, 1 Jan 2005
A few things to note, having some C skills is essential, and having a some Unix skills would also help. The book takes a very practical approach, which is a joy. I've read a few dry OS books and trying to remember a couple of pages of text is a challenge. But here the authors introduce a concept, then create a small program to demonstrate what they are talking about. Then some additional theory is added and more code etc, building up a bigger picture. The contents are extensive (check out the table of contents above) covering processes, signals, events etc.
The authors have a good website which you can download the code from. I have run the programs so far with no problems on my Linux machine (2.4 Kernel), but examples should work on most Unix variants including OS X, Solaris etc.
I have not yet finished the book but so far so good.

4.0 out of 5 stars A much needed update for Unix, Linux and Posix, 19 Mar 2007
Looking through the available litterature covering Unix, they are mostly at least 10 years old, and thus not reflecting the changes in Unix, Linux and POSIX. Some of those books are OK, but we need reference material that is up to date. Within the first two hours of study we had answers to 2 or 3 problems that we could not find in the old litterature or in the online available GNU ditto.

Plenty of code examples, downloadable, ready to use!

So a much needed update is now available, and recommended.

One problem - it is designed for a college class, not to be a quick reference. I don't have the time to do the exercises, and as always with this type of book I am left with a feeling that not everything is revealed in the text, because the writer cannot reveal the answers to the exercises too easily. Otherwise he cannot sell the book to the college teachers!

2.0 out of 5 stars very bad organization, 20 April 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: Practical UNIX Programming: A Guide to Concurrency, Communication, and Multithreading for UNIX Programmers (Hardcover)