on 29 October 1997
THE Book on Computer Networks. Covers almost anything you can imagine. I use it for teaching at the undergraduate level and the students really like it. It has some minor errors, but I've found out for myself that Andy Tanenbaum is a really accessible person (I sent him an email without expecting a reply, and he didn't only reply, but chatted with me about the subject). A friend of mine was borrowing it from me so much that I had to offer her to get one for her here at amazon.com. I never did because she bought it herself. Enough talk. Get the book. You won't be sorry.
on 17 July 1998
Many years ago when I needed a good general purpose reference on computer networking technology, I decided that Tanenbaum's Computer Networks was "the book." I have repeatedly told my students, "If you can only afford to buy one book, this is the book you want." That remains true today. From his 1st edition of Computer Networks in 1979, Tanenbaum has consistently excelled in presenting technical computer networking information in a lucid style that enables even the novice to become knowledgeable in a short time. This newest edition is not only updated to reflect the changes in emphasis of technology from the OSI architecture to the dominant TCP/IP model, but has also enabled the reader to see far enough forward so that design decisions made today do not preclude the adoption of emerging technologies as they mature. A bargain at twice the price!
on 10 July 1997
I really enjoyed reading Tanenbaums' books. He rally has a way to teach things. For the comment, this book is a starters book; To understand what is what in the networking world. I advise to people read this book before they sleep so that they will learn after a week, how interesting this Networking World is. For the intermediate readers this book could revive their lack of knowledge on some specific fields.. But as for the Advanced I do not recommend this book.
on 27 July 1996
First and foremost this book is focused toward the
very computer literate. If you don't know a good
deal about networks already, then this will be a
difficult read for you. There are tons of acronyms! Tanenbaum
also make up a few. If you already have an intermediate knowledge
of networks then this book will help fill in the gaps. I
really enjoyed reading this book from cover to cover (minus
the questions at the end of the chapters).

[...]
on 30 September 2003
I was very fascinated about this book and the way it brings a sometimes difficult to understand content to the reader in a funny and easy way. But I was angry about the problems in the book and that there weren't any solutions available.
So more or less accidentally I came to the booklet „Problem Solutions" of the fourth edition. Take a look at amazon.de and lothar_ast here you can buy the book+booklet for 54,90 Euro.
on 4 December 1997
Know little yet eager to be a professinal on network?Take a month,read and understand every word of it,and you're done.
Experienced in network yet encountered a confussion one day?Go back to it,you'll clear up your concept and be more experinced.
In fact I'd like to bear it in mind from cover to cover.Also I got comfort from it:see,there's humorous moments in technical studying and work.
on 4 June 1999
This book was the text for my college networking class, and it is one of the best textbooks i have had for a computer science class. Tanenbaum's writing style make the text easy to read. Although he is long winded and ancedotal at times, I found that his anecdotes provided useful insight into the reasons decisions were made.
on 14 August 1997
Tanenbaum has overhauled his second edition to take into account the massive shift to Internetworks and the IP protocol. As usual, he does an excellent job of elucidating the subtleties of the technology while maintaining his witty style.

The book's key strength is that it combines solid theoretical underpinnings and clear explanations with consideration of the non-technical aspects of networking. These include market acceptance (some wise words on why ISDN failed, for example), the politics of "standards" and day-to-day pragmatic "getting it done" issues.

Tanenbaum's broader consideration enables the book to avoid the trap of becoming an unworldly academic text. It gives "Computer Networks" its licence to function as an indispensable everyday working reference.

I work in the communications/networking industry and keep this book handy. I lend it to colleagues to photocopy the odd section, and they always end up buying their own copy. Enough said!

I gave this book a 9 for including some of the old and dying technologies that lack even instructional value, at the expense of newer technologies that are seeing wide deployment. Grist for the fourth edition, I guess :-)
on 16 December 1996
The defacto text book of computer networking. An all time
favourite of any networrking professional. Tanenbaum's
approach is the standard in teaching computer networking.
Contains all you want to know about networking and much
more..And it is easy to read.....

Sohail Munir (munir.1@osu.edu)
on 20 November 2003
After already having a fairly good basic understanding of computer networks, this book covers everything you will need to know about different types of network, from the history and things such as local telephone networks to the latest wireless technology. Very useful for academics and business use.