Format: Paperback|Change

on 25 August 2013
This is an excellent book which explains the history and ethics behind the Ubuntu project, and then explains how to set up the system from the enclosed disc. The book's remaining chapters explain how to use the many programs included for free with Ubuntu version 11.04 LTS. Ubuntu is just one of many "flavours" of the Linux operating system. I have been trying to get to grips with Linux for many years and I have found that this book has explained many previously puzzling aspects of Linux. The book describes one of the latest versions of the Ubuntu version of Linux. Ubuntu is probably the easiest version of Linux for a Windows user to get started with and this is the book that such a person needs. The best thing about this book is that you don't have to be a computer geek to understand it.
on 19 June 2013
'For a meaningful journey you have to know from where did you start, and where do you want to go. '

I chose this book after some time researching Ubuntu books. I liked the way the book started with the philosophy behind Ubuntu, how it grew from Debian, Linux, what it is today and what it may become tomorrow. The cover was attractive as was the format of the material. The chapters are easy to read and implement. Not all little hiccups are covered but the Ubuntu journey is like that. You make progress never the less. The photos of screens are of poor quality but i like the way the book is written. There are sections for the Beginner, intermediate and the advanced who are on the path to Ubuntu.

I would recommend it to my friends. I did not feel the need for another book. I rate it 4.75/ 5.00
on 3 January 2014
Informative and full of help for the new to Ubuntu. I could and will recommend it to anyone who wants to try out this fantastic OS
on 25 April 2013
Good place to start and fairly informative too.

I like it and the Operating System too but the OS needs a little work annoyingly, well work involving improvements that is, lol.

The book is of a nice size too its not overly huge and not built like a door stop the the Hulk's house like most computing books are?!

Would have like a little more in depth stuff about Linux but I bought another book for that.
on 27 March 2015
Good book, covers all aspects of Ubuntu and promptly delivered. Easy to read at all levels and dont need to be too technical to understand.
on 10 January 2016
Great book and service was excellent
on 10 June 2013
...Sadly it kind of put me off the operating system as there is a general theme of "Isn't Unity Great?". To be honest I don't like Unity and have moved away from Ubuntu altogether. The book is clear and concise, easy to read and unassuming, probably aimed more at the beginner than the seasoned pro.