Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 May 2006
This is a great book, I would give it 6 stars if I was allowed to. It seems to have 2 things which all other books lack: it teaches from 'the beginning' and it is packed with useful exercises. The author expains the concepts of object oriented programming (in java but the concepts are useful for many other languages!) very well, he doesn't introduce inheritance until half way through the book and by the time he does, you are really ready for it due to the excellent teaching structure of the book. The author seems to have a great way of making you do exercises and getting you to ask yourself questions like 'wouldn't it be handy if there was something like subclassing?', and then surprise surprise!, the next section is on subclassing!

As I said, many other books seem to introduce loads of theory without giving yu any practice. This book gets you practicing and then thinking of the theory youself.

This book works for a range of people. It is great for beginners (although I highly recommend that you do every exercise), but I am sure that many experienced programmers would find it very useful too, at least for brushing up on certain concepts....
on 12 August 2012
Difficult book to review I guess as I have mixed feelings concerning the exercises. When I first got this book for my computer science course I found it to be almost useless. When I got stuck on an exercise then that was it until I could speak to a lecturer or post on the forums.

I have no patience for this type of approach as it wastes my time and other people's time. At this point I would have given it one star for sheer frustration.
Then I found the lecturers solutions and decided to - System.println("Borrow"); them.

WOW I wanted to punch the person who decided to leave these out of the book!
I worked my way through all the chapters and was actually enjoying myself a lot learning how to program java. I learned a lot about programming in a short space of time. I finished the module with a high grade.

I would recommend this book to everyone who is starting to learn programming from the very start but only if you can get your hands on the solutions. I don't care who says they are only for lecturers as there are reviews on here that share my initial frustration.

I will dish out the first 4 chapter solutions to anyone who leaves an e-mail address as a comment.
66 comments|3 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 14 December 2005
Had my first taste of BlueJ as a college student at Bell College Hamilton, my Java skills have increased tremendously mainly due to the principles and concepts learned from BlueJ.
This book stands miles above all Beginner java book's on the market today. The book comes with its own IDE "BlueJ". The book focuses early on Classes, Objects and clearly explains the concepts with little regard to code. The book then invites the reader to open up example projects with the BlueJ IDE and gets the user to create objects from the classes then examine the methods, again paying little attention to coding (There is plenty of coding and exercises in this book, but kept to minimum at this stage as it’s vital to understand the concepts related with classes and objects and methods). This then enables the user to better visualize abstract concepts and object behavior.
The book uses an iterative approach and user finds that principles taught in the book are used throughout the book. The book teaches you to code practical programs such as a Database to contain CD and Video objects; most importantly it stimulates your mind and imagination. This enables the user to find other ways to apply the concepts to other problems. The book gets you to into the habit of thinking of items as objects. Plain and simple BlueJ gives you the right amount of Java knowledge without going into unnecessary details and allows the user to see the big picture and enable them to successfully start understanding more advanced Java material.
When I got to university the Students who used BlueJ at college were miles ahead in understanding Java language than those who had not. Most students who did not use BlueJ before university had a habit of writing procedural style programs with the Java
language.
Recommended !
on 28 November 2004
This book is great for really learning OOP deeply, and not just some superficial Java syntax. It takes you step by step through interesting projects - explaining every step, and gettign you to build more and more interesting applications.
There are good exercises to try and apply the concepts that you learned yourself, and at the end you feel you have really learned the concepts, and not just where to put the semicolons.
Fantastic book!
VINE VOICEon 20 December 2003
This book is intended to be a course text book for an introductory course in Java and Object Oriented Programming. The authors have made a conscious decision to cover the material in a different order to almost all other books on the subject. You won't find an initial chapter on classpaths, compilation and the main method, there's no pseudo-procedural "hello, world" example. The book leaps straight in to creating objects from classes, examining values and calling methods.
There is a trick to all this, of course. The book is based on a kind of Java development environment optimised for teaching called "BlueJ". BlueJ is a free download, and a copy is included on a CD with the book, along with all the source code examples. I've had a play with BlueJ, and it certainly makes important things like the distinction between a class and an object, and the inheritance structure of the code, much clearer than traditional IDEs.
If you are planning to teach a course on Java or OO, you should certainly take a look at this book. Even if you don't run the course exactly as presented, the approach is fascinating. If you are trying to pick up these tricky ideas on your own, this book might also be very useful. Even if none of those cases apply, the BlueJ software is still a really neat tool for prototyping.
The idea behind this book is that although it uses Java as a way to teach object oriented programming, it's not focussed on the "Java" aspect, but the "OOOP". This means it provides a clear understanding of the underlying OOP principles, then uses Java programming to give examples - and there's many, many examples.

I particularly liked the fact the book provides a project - giving the reader something to do, then at the end gives a few other tasks. That way if you're really dedicated (or merely curious) you can take it a bit further.

As with the other reviewers I found it easy to follow (without being patronising or simplistic), and whereas I found many other books great on theory or syntax, this was pure practical stuff.

The fact that it also comes with a very simple Development Tool hides much of the initial nonsense you'd have to get to grips with Java - and again visually demonstrates what other books merely tell you about.

If you're leaning Java for the first time - read this first.
on 3 May 2006
I have looked at BlueJ for some time now, but wasn't quite sure just how to integrate it with course I am teaching.

Then last week I received a copy of "Objects First With Java". It just so happens that I am pulling a class of students through polymorphism using Java for the first time. It is really, really painful.

Then yesterday I received a copy of the BlueJ text. I whizzed through chapter 1 and peeked ahead through the rest of the text. My first impression is that this may be the best pedagically developed environment for learning programming that I have ever seen. It is so very, very ... simple!! I feel like I've been swimming in a lake of murky water and entangling weeds for years in teaching OOP with Borland's Object Pascal, then Borland and CodeWarrior C++, and most recently JCreator's Java IDE.

BlueJ has turned my murky lake of OOP into a fun, refreshing dip.

We currently use the same text that we have used for years, because we know just where to use the text and where to supplement and how. But now I just know that we must reconsider. The BlueJ text may triple the number of students that goes in into our advanced streams.

Sorry, but every now and then in life something is so incredibly better than anything in that particular arena that it is immediately obvious that a new standard has emerged. I am absolutely convinced that BlueJ together with the Barnes and Kolling text does that for introducing OOP particularly and Java generally. That much really is obvious.
on 30 March 2004
I was instructed to buy this book for a second year computer science module in Object-Oriented programming and Java.
The book fits the bill perfectly, it keeps everything dead simple and gets you thinking about objects and doing things with objects right from the off.
If you're new to O-O programming or Java then this is the book you want. This is the best book I have bought while at university by a long way.
on 4 September 2006
This book is an introduction to the concept of Object Oriented programming using the Java language. It is not a complete course in Java and by avoiding getting too involved in the specifics of the Java language, allows the skills you will learn to be applied to writing code in any object oriented language.

The book is fantastically laid out with full colour-coded syntax for all code examples making it much easier to read than most programming books.

This is a tutorial rather than a reference book.
on 12 August 2008
This book is a really good 'hands on' way of teaching the Java programming language. Whilst other texts may start introducing concepts they often do so in a very bland fashion with chunks of paragraphs often tailored to the academic study of Java. This book however introduces and teaches the reader how to program in java, explaining the important concepts clearly and concisely and offers numerous practical exercises.