Published on 18 May 2006 by Andrew Cooke

2.0 out of 5 stars I would avoid as there are better books out there!
I am a university graduate, graduating in computer science with a 2.1 with honours.

Our course relied heavily on programming and Java was the language of choice.

Objects First with BlueJ was an essential read and the use of the BlueJ IDE was expected from all students.

Now after graduating I have read additional books on Java as to me some...
Published on 4 May 2011 by bs3ac

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book on both java and on object oriented programming!, 18 May 2006
Andrew Cooke (Sweden) - See all my reviews
This is a great book, I would give it 6 stars if I was allowed to. It seems to have 2 things which all other books lack: it teaches from 'the beginning' and it is packed with useful exercises. The author expains the concepts of object oriented programming (in java but the concepts are useful for many other languages!) very well, he doesn't introduce inheritance until half way through the book and by the time he does, you are really ready for it due to the excellent teaching structure of the book. The author seems to have a great way of making you do exercises and getting you to ask yourself questions like 'wouldn't it be handy if there was something like subclassing?', and then surprise surprise!, the next section is on subclassing!

As I said, many other books seem to introduce loads of theory without giving yu any practice. This book gets you practicing and then thinking of the theory youself.

This book works for a range of people. It is great for beginners (although I highly recommend that you do every exercise), but I am sure that many experienced programmers would find it very useful too, at least for brushing up on certain concepts....

5.0 out of 5 stars The Beginners Holy Grail to learning Java 5 Stars ++, 14 Dec 2005
Jj Weir "Bookie Wookie" (Glasgow) - See all my reviews
Had my first taste of BlueJ as a college student at Bell College Hamilton, my Java skills have increased tremendously mainly due to the principles and concepts learned from BlueJ.
This book stands miles above all Beginner java book's on the market today. The book comes with its own IDE "BlueJ". The book focuses early on Classes, Objects and clearly explains the concepts with little regard to code. The book then invites the reader to open up example projects with the BlueJ IDE and gets the user to create objects from the classes then examine the methods, again paying little attention to coding (There is plenty of coding and exercises in this book, but kept to minimum at this stage as it’s vital to understand the concepts related with classes and objects and methods). This then enables the user to better visualize abstract concepts and object behavior.
The book uses an iterative approach and user finds that principles taught in the book are used throughout the book. The book teaches you to code practical programs such as a Database to contain CD and Video objects; most importantly it stimulates your mind and imagination. This enables the user to find other ways to apply the concepts to other problems. The book gets you to into the habit of thinking of items as objects. Plain and simple BlueJ gives you the right amount of Java knowledge without going into unnecessary details and allows the user to see the big picture and enable them to successfully start understanding more advanced Java material.
When I got to university the Students who used BlueJ at college were miles ahead in understanding Java language than those who had not. Most students who did not use BlueJ before university had a habit of writing procedural style programs with the Java
language.
Recommended !

5.0 out of 5 stars The best place to start, 4 Sep 2006
This book is an introduction to the concept of Object Oriented programming using the Java language. It is not a complete course in Java and by avoiding getting too involved in the specifics of the Java language, allows the skills you will learn to be applied to writing code in any object oriented language.

The book is fantastically laid out with full colour-coded syntax for all code examples making it much easier to read than most programming books.

This is a tutorial rather than a reference book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Get this book, 3 May 2006
I have looked at BlueJ for some time now, but wasn't quite sure just how to integrate it with course I am teaching.

Then last week I received a copy of "Objects First With Java". It just so happens that I am pulling a class of students through polymorphism using Java for the first time. It is really, really painful.

Then yesterday I received a copy of the BlueJ text. I whizzed through chapter 1 and peeked ahead through the rest of the text. My first impression is that this may be the best pedagically developed environment for learning programming that I have ever seen. It is so very, very ... simple!! I feel like I've been swimming in a lake of murky water and entangling weeds for years in teaching OOP with Borland's Object Pascal, then Borland and CodeWarrior C++, and most recently JCreator's Java IDE.

BlueJ has turned my murky lake of OOP into a fun, refreshing dip.

We currently use the same text that we have used for years, because we know just where to use the text and where to supplement and how. But now I just know that we must reconsider. The BlueJ text may triple the number of students that goes in into our advanced streams.

Sorry, but every now and then in life something is so incredibly better than anything in that particular arena that it is immediately obvious that a new standard has emerged. I am absolutely convinced that BlueJ together with the Barnes and Kolling text does that for introducing OOP particularly and Java generally. That much really is obvious.

2.0 out of 5 stars I would avoid as there are better books out there!, 4 May 2011

Our course relied heavily on programming and Java was the language of choice.

Now after graduating I have read additional books on Java as to me some concepts remained unclear and so I wished to brush up on them.

Only after reading 'Head First Java' did I realise how poorly written 'Objects First' (using BlueJ) actually is. I found the book to be a very dry read and easy to forget in comparision to the layout and structure of that in the Heads First range.

Programming should be fun (if it is not then it may not be for you). It was through using Head First Java that I was able to understand complex concepts of programming while not getting bored of page after page of text.

I wll say however I found the BlueJ IDE a good learning tool to understand class relations and how objects act within a program.

If you are new to programming I would give you this advice (which I wish someone would have told me before I started my course).

Make sure you have a good understanding on the foundations of programming before attempting more complex areas. What I mean by this is truly understand objects and classes and how objects initiante an instance of a class and how those objects can be used with other objects of different classes to carry our tasks. It is through having a good understanding of the concepts of programming (in how OO works) that you can build greater knowledge on programming and it also makes the use of concepts like RMI and I/O using Sockets far easier to understand.

My second tip is to make sure you PROGRAM! It is all well and good to read but it is equally (if not more) important to write code and see how the code works. It is through experiencing problems that I would say I learnt the most.

My third and final tip is to make sure you test yourself. I know university is demanding in terms of multiple modules being taught at the same time but it is through time managment and using your free time wisely that will help you in the later stages of your course. During summer you have lots of free time so use that time in writting a program (maybe a veteneriam program or somthing similar) to gain knowledge in GUI's, Collections, Inheritance etc.

If I was you and being asked to buy this Objects First book I would also fork out and buy Heads First Java also. I used the BlueJ IDE with the Heads First book and found that the IDE gave a good visual on the inner workings of my code where as the Head First book gave a better understanding on the concepts of programming.

Hope this review was of some help and best of luck in your learning.

BTW: my next port of call would be to learn design patterns after grasping the ideas of Java. I have finished my Java book and am now looking into design patterns which give great ideas in how to write your code correctly and efficiently. The book I am reading describes the non-use of design patterns similar to reinventing the wheel. Programmers out there have already spent time in working out complex design issues and it is through these design patterns that you can learn how to overcome issues with your code (for example programs evolve in time).

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding!, 28 Nov 2004
This book is great for really learning OOP deeply, and not just some superficial Java syntax. It takes you step by step through interesting projects - explaining every step, and gettign you to build more and more interesting applications.
There are good exercises to try and apply the concepts that you learned yourself, and at the end you feel you have really learned the concepts, and not just where to put the semicolons.
Fantastic book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A fascinating and clever approach to teaching Java, 20 Dec 2003
Frank Carver - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This book is intended to be a course text book for an introductory course in Java and Object Oriented Programming. The authors have made a conscious decision to cover the material in a different order to almost all other books on the subject. You won't find an initial chapter on classpaths, compilation and the main method, there's no pseudo-procedural "hello, world" example. The book leaps straight in to creating objects from classes, examining values and calling methods.
There is a trick to all this, of course. The book is based on a kind of Java development environment optimised for teaching called "BlueJ". BlueJ is a free download, and a copy is included on a CD with the book, along with all the source code examples. I've had a play with BlueJ, and it certainly makes important things like the distinction between a class and an object, and the inheritance structure of the code, much clearer than traditional IDEs.
If you are planning to teach a course on Java or OO, you should certainly take a look at this book. Even if you don't run the course exactly as presented, the approach is fascinating. If you are trying to pick up these tricky ideas on your own, this book might also be very useful. Even if none of those cases apply, the BlueJ software is still a really neat tool for prototyping.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another satisfied customer - an Excellent Book, 7 Sep 2006
The idea behind this book is that although it uses Java as a way to teach object oriented programming, it's not focussed on the "Java" aspect, but the "OOOP". This means it provides a clear understanding of the underlying OOP principles, then uses Java programming to give examples - and there's many, many examples.

I particularly liked the fact the book provides a project - giving the reader something to do, then at the end gives a few other tasks. That way if you're really dedicated (or merely curious) you can take it a bit further.

As with the other reviewers I found it easy to follow (without being patronising or simplistic), and whereas I found many other books great on theory or syntax, this was pure practical stuff.

The fact that it also comes with a very simple Development Tool hides much of the initial nonsense you'd have to get to grips with Java - and again visually demonstrates what other books merely tell you about.

If you're leaning Java for the first time - read this first.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best introductory Java book you will surely find, 30 Mar 2004
D. Owen "Spoodle Powered" (Great Britain) - See all my reviews
I was instructed to buy this book for a second year computer science module in Object-Oriented programming and Java.
The book fits the bill perfectly, it keeps everything dead simple and gets you thinking about objects and doing things with objects right from the off.
If you're new to O-O programming or Java then this is the book you want. This is the best book I have bought while at university by a long way.

1.0 out of 5 stars absolutelly useless, 14 Jun 2013
S. Music (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ (Paperback)
firstly there is no real-life java code in here! secondly, as many have said, there are no answers to exercises, and the author shamelessly tells you to source your answers from other books... why on earth did i waste so much money on this book then?! the author assumes that wanna-be-programmers are idiots who cannot possible understand oop in less than a lifetime, unless it is with the use of this dumbed down book. so he tries to bring objects closer to an average student, by hiding the real code from them and therefore robbing them of a having their own code ever succesfully compiled by anything other than bluej.

Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ
Objects First with Java: A Practical Introduction Using BlueJ by Michael Kölling (Paperback - 30 Sep 2011)