This book is a fantastic introduction to computer programming!

OK, let me qualify that statement a little.
Published on 22 Feb 2008 by Neil Wallace

Published 10 months ago by E. M. Barratt

5.0 out of 5 stars The Programming book I've been looking for for years - shame about the exhaustingly long and confusing title!, 22 Feb 2008
Neil Wallace (Inverness, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Rapid GUI Programming with Python and QT: The Definitive Guide to PyQt Programming (Prentice Hall Open Source Software Development) (Hardcover)
This book is a fantastic introduction to computer programming!

OK, let me qualify that statement a little.
I am a hobby computer programmer. I now consider myself to be a relatively competent exponent of the art, but it has been a very painful journey to get to this point. I made so many errors along the way. I have chosen the wrong operating system, the wrong programming languages, spent WAY too much money to produce 3rd rate looking applications . I own heaven knows how many computer books, have installed lots of programming bloatware, but have now found my comfort zone using the tools which are the subject matter of this book. Sadly only now have I found this book!

So here's my take on this. If you want to learn to program, and want to create fantastic, native looking graphical user interfaces, the tools you need are
1. Python
2. A text editor
3. Qt4
4. Sip and PyQt4
5. A computer (be it linux, mac or windoze)
6. This book.

I'm going to assume you have a computer (you're reading this on Amazon, after all..).
So all you need to buy is this book. Everything else is available FREE (welcome to the beautiful world of open-source)

This book is beautifully thought out. It works through the basic Python syntax, then introduces the Qt tools, and explains how to overlay an interface to your code (yep... that's the way to do it... I found out to my detriment that m$ visual studio tends to encourage the opposite approach!)

Buy it.
It really is the only book you need to get started on your programming journey.

Cheers
Neil.

5.0 out of 5 stars My best return on investment this year!!!!, 3 Aug 2008
Mr. Michael S. Lumsden (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Well before reading this book, i was a competent self taught php web developer who had not done any gui development at all.

The opportunity arose from one of my clients to re-develop there epos / erp system to bring it into the 21 century with a networked gui application which seamlessly connected with there website via web services(they had this old legacy system coded in fortran)

Know i took this challenge not knowing how i was going to do it but was given some ley way on time as i was charging half the amount another software company had quoted.

I knew python for speed of development was the way to go but what toolkit to go with it? i looked at qt and wxpython but decided on the more advanced features in qt.

So i got my commercial license of qt and pyqt as well as a copy of Wing IDE and i was ready to go. I just need a strong tutorial for both qt and python as I've never used them before.

I must admit this book was one of the reasons why i went down this path as a friend already had it and was using it in his own projects, so it was already highly recommend to me, and as soon as i got it i was not disappointed. In my first few hours i already had my first application of a calculator up and running. In a week I'm now working on the application for my client which i have to say is going at a blistering pace. if you really want to make quality applications rapidly fast then you will not go far wrong with this book.

Its clear, concise and comprehensive. If you have done a bit of web programing in any language before then yo will easily transfer those skills to this framework and this book gives you the confidence to do it quickly.

PyQt is for pragmatic programmers who truly want to create great every day applications fast. If you do this for a living then this book really is a manual to "Get Rich Quick" as it shows you just how to achieve that by creating quality application you could sell that companies and individuals need.

5.0 out of 5 stars This was a lot of Fun!, 18 Oct 2013
This book is great. It has a very nice Python tutorial at the start (1st three chapters.) It covers PyQt really well and at the author's website you can get the book's source code for both Python 2 or 3. I had a lot of fun with this book. It is very detailed and covers a lot of ground. It also provide very well thought out examples that will teach you a lot more than just gui programming. You will be very comfortable with PyQt after you read this. I must add, it has been great to read the author's code. I'm still new to programming but i believe the author writes really great code. I have learnt a lot from that alone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Qt4 and Python, a perfect match., 8 Dec 2009
C. L. P. Cooper (England) - See all my reviews
I own quite a few programming books and this book (Rapid GUI Programming with Python and Qt) may have a rather long name but do not let that fool you. This is one of the best programming books I have read (actually I am over half way through it as I write).
Mark Summerfield really gets it right, sensible applications to write without the tiresome comments about Monty Python.
The applications you create are fully fledged applications.

I have no trouble recommending this book for anyone looking to create fast professional applications with Python & Qt4.

5.0 out of 5 stars A crucial tool for GUI programming, 4 Feb 2011
What would I have done without this book?

Although Python, PyQt4 and Qt all have fairly good online documentation an plenty of helpful info on the web, I found this book incredibly useful in adding better, more useful code to my programs. The examples given are very thorough, well-explained and demonstrate a very broad coverage of what can be done with PyQt4. From threading your programs to adding server support and database handling to basic windows and dialogs, there are examples, insights and guidance. This is improved by downloading the code demonstrating from the website (for free), so that you can see how the code all comes together.

Absolutely fantastic!

3.0 out of 5 stars Got everything you need, but not suited as a beginners tutorial., 1 Nov 2013
E. M. Barratt (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
There are two types of programming instruction books. There are the reference books which tell you the details of different techniques and modules in a succinct and efficient manner, but are not very useful for beginners taking their first steps, and there are tutorial style books which demonstrate and explain how to build up from simple one line programs to more complex software. This book is a tutorial based book, but doesn't ever introduce the simple beginner steps.

For example, chapter 6; 'Creating a Main Window' takes the form of a thorough explanation of a relatively complex image viewing programme. Readers are invited to download the programme from the book's website, and can follow along as each block of code is explained in order. It is not, in my opinion, a good way to demonstrate how to build a simple programme of your own. A better tutorial would have begun with a simple 10 line programme demonstrating the creation of a single empty window, then step by step could have shown how to add items to the window, how to build file and edit menus, how to add toolbars; all the while having a working programme of increasing complexity.

So I'm not sure who will find this book useful. It is not organized in a why which would be efficient for use as a reference guide, but nor is it organized for use as a tutorial. It's more like an extended documentation for the example programs. I imagine readers who already know the basics would find the book teaches them different ways of doing things they have already figured out, but beginners will face an uphill battle trying to build their own applications from the examples included.

5.0 out of 5 stars Clear, concise, understandable - just what is needed, 23 July 2010
Roland Rat (Sussex, England) - See all my reviews
A friend lent me a copy when I was looking for a quick start in Qt and Python. I read the first two chapters and was completely hooked, knowing that this was the book for me. If you are looking at building UI apps with Python this has to be the best start. Don't try piecing it together from different websites, just buy this book.

Mark is very active in the Python and QT communities and needs encouraging to keep this book up to date (afterall, new versions of QT and Python keep on emerging). The best way to encourage that is if more people buy the book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Good learning path, 28 May 2013
I bought this with other books and it is an invaluable companion to the other learning. Well presented and informative. Great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Learn PyQt quickly, 5 April 2013
This is a really good book for those who want to start using PyQt lib/framework. It also provides all the necessary examples (located online).

5.0 out of 5 stars serious, clear and direct, 5 April 2013
Im very happy with this book, im not expert in python, but I could learn and work.with Qt without big problems. HAPPY