5.0 out of 5 stars New, productive method of debate, 28 Aug 2008
This review is from: Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking (Paperback)
Reading is more than a hobby to me, I am addicted to it. However, my previous method was to read, read and read more about the subject before deciding which book is better than which. Asking the right questions taught me how to do that after reading the book directly without the need to research the subject before making my mind.

The profound effect of the book is more than helping me to decide the intellectual value of other materials I read, but everything that I encounter. As soon as I finished the book (I read it in a day and a half) I left my room and went and sat with my family in the living room, they were watching a TV show that I don't even recall the subject of and they were all astonished by the "facts" the speaker was giving, "wow" everyone was saying. After ten minutes exactly I was able to list quite an interesting number of mistakes, inaccuracies and distortions in his "facts" and explained that most of them were actually "opinions" and "claims", this made me more surprised than anyone else as my previous attitude would have been "ok, sounds good, now we have to check what the opposing point of view says".

Asking the right questions teaches exactly that, what you should be asking, and what you should avoid concentrating on because in reality it is irrelevant to the subject at hand. It shows in a very easy and straightforward way how to focus on evaluating what you hear, and distinguishing the useful form the rubbish and the padding. You most probably won't be able to win the high school debate team right after you finish it, but it opens your eyes to new productive methods of debate rather than the more common reactive ones.

I recommend it to anyone that is studying in the college level and above and to anyone that reads more than romantic novels, joke books and cook books.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book I have ever read, 12 Jan 2010
Lance M. Raeper "Lance" (Essex, UK) - See all my reviews
After taking a class in critical thinking, I realized how useful some of the lessons could be to my learning. I wanted more than just the class material, which barely touched the surface of this subject. So I bought this book, as it had received (and continues to)good reviews.

It put critical thinking goggles on my head. And I will never be able to see the world in the same way. (goggles, to wade through all of the utter crap that you will realize is there)

Developing good critical thinking is an immense aid to the learning process.

I recommend taking this book slowly, least you forget its contents. I studied a chapter a week.

5.0 out of 5 stars Being an 8th edition speaks volumes..., 8 May 2009
Satisfied at Last (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
How many books make it to a second edition, let alone an 8th edition. Being an 8th edition speaks volumes - it implies that this book is very high quality, and I will second that.

So what's it all about? One or two days in, you start to see the changes.
How come? You see "persuasive" speeches, and the lack of any meaning or substance in them.

I had formal letters arrive, that after mulling over, I could see what the author didn't want to reveal. They were dodging the issue.

Some call this book life changing, and I'll agree.

You'll gain respect for your "brainpower" and rational thinking.

I think every school pupil should be issued this book, and not wait till you arrive at University to discover it.

If I gain a First Degree, I'll place it firmly on the basis of having discovered "Critical Thinking".

Don't miss out on this book, or it might cost you 1 or 2 grades in University. This book is what you need to get a First Degree.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good book, 3 Oct 2013
Still reading it, but I really like this book. The language in this book is simple and easy to understand. Worth buying.

4.0 out of 5 stars Arrived early and in good condition, 11 Aug 2013
Arrived in good time in excellent condition - well done. The book itself is a little ""American" for my taste but it has so much good information I can over look it

5.0 out of 5 stars From an application view, 13 Sep 2009
Barry Evans (Scotland) - See all my reviews
A very helpful approach to an increasing problem - given the demands placed on people to be clear and concise in their responses. The book is well laid out and easy to read. It incorporates langauge which is both informative and easy to follow.

In terms of the subject matter it is very well handled and strucutred for readers of Higher/A Level and above. Not only of value to people in acedemic study but alos in their vocational life. I recently used the book assisitng a sandwich place student working with me and completing their final write up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Asking the Right Questions Leads to the Right Answers!, 24 July 2008
Asking the right questions challenges the reader to ask the tough questions. I enjoyed many of the thought provoking questions such as: How many ways can words or phrases be interpreted? What questions can be asked to clarify a subject? What are the pitfalls that stop you from asking the right questions...and how can you avoid them?

To become a powerful critical thinker we must look under the covers at what others are communicating and why! This book and books like it are needed more than ever today!

The Re-Discovery of Common Sense: A Guide To: The Lost Art of Critical Thinking

ARRAY(0xb42db4ec)

Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking
Asking the Right Questions: A Guide to Critical Thinking by Stuart M. Keeley (Paperback - 31 Jan 2006)
Used & New from: 0.32