5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable analysis tools handbook with staying power, 28 Jun. 2007
This review is from: Strategic and Competitive Analysis: Methods and Techniques for Analyzing Business Competition (Pie) (Paperback)
I have owned this book for several years, and still use it on a regular basis. I had previously read another book by one of the authors and the other author is a well-known CI consultant from my home country. For those of you not already in the know, yes we have some world-class authors in addition to our world-class Aussie athletes.

As a consultant, I am always doing analytical work for my clients and have often had to search around for material to support the techniques that I frequently used. Well, my searching and scrounging days ended when I got this handy guide! I put this book to work in helping me shore up many of my projects. It has already returned the purchase price several times over in the amount of time it saved me from having to dig up information from a variety of sources about the included techniques.

The book does some things none of the other previous sources I used (mostly MBA textbooks in marketing and strategy and the like) did by providing both the strengths and weaknesses of these techniques as well as a detailed "how to" apply them step-by-step with actual examples. This is unique to my knowledge as the sources I have used nearly always give just a few paragraphs on the technique and little if any background as to their unique characteristics. Thank you to the two authors for doing us a favour on that aspect.

I also appreciate that the book includes coverage of 24 different techniques. I have used about ten of these over the last few years, and had heard of several of the other ones but hadn't yet applied them in my projects. The coverage of each technique is pretty thorough to be sure, but some like financial ratio and statement analysis, management profiling, and industry analysis will obviously get used more frequently than others like S-curve analysis. Also, the authors provide approaches that have been tested in the real-world, which is better to my mind than book-length theoretical treatises that sometimes accompany applications of these methods.

I have bought spare copies of this book to provide for my subs in several countries in which I have client work so that I can be sure they will have guidance for properly utilizing these techniques. I have also gotten a few for some of my clients so that they can tell I haven't conjured up my findings on their projects, but actually based them on rigorous techniques. I'm not terribly surprised to find this book already on the shelves of executives in many of the larger multinational firms I work for.

One thing I found interesting is that my volume is a soft-covered version. This is nice in that it likely saved me some money but I would have preferred a hard cover version. It is likely best used as a reference text that comes on and off the shelf frequently over the course of my projects. Last but not least, if you are a consultant, this book really needs to be on your shelf, at least briefly, when you are not actually using it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Summary Of MBA Models etcCourse, 14 Dec. 2002
For the MBA course I have been undertaking (and currently finishing off via dissertation) I have found this one book alone to be a perfect summary of all the models that were covered throughout the course. It was an excellent aid during my final exams. It has a good cross reference between models and is therefore particularly good when tackling questions involving an organisations strategy now and in the future. It also has an excellent bibliography.
I came across it towards the end of my course and I only wish I had it at the beginning! However whatever stage you're at I would thoroughly recommend it.

Used & New from: £68.10