on 24 June 2006
I taught using the first half of this textbook. I found it well written with just the right amount of depth and information: a very good framework to build on later in a degree program. Boxes and empirical examples worked well.

The text also gives an appendix at the end of the book on major figures in contemporary economics and the different schools of thought. This demonstrates to me that the book really intends to convey some genuine understanding about economics outside of basic theory.

I spotted a few typos that the editorial team should have ironed out by now, but nothing major.
on 5 November 2008
Although this is a good book, I find it too light in some topics.

Moreover, it lacks an in depth explanation of the dynamics of inflation and
the Mundell-Fleming model.

My recommendation for macroeconomics' students is "Macroeconomics in the Global Economy" by Jefrey Sachs.
on 14 June 2006
The set text for Intermediate Macroeconomics at University of York.

As a combined arts student, I often struggle with economics. But the pace of this book is very challenging but at the same time comfortable.

Emphasis is placed on fiscal and monetary policy decisions and their implications. Perhaps the best feature of this book from the perspective of a weak mathematician, is that all proofs and derived equations are fully explained. Blanchard achieves this better than many other authors as he manages to maintain a good pace in his explanation and gives comprehensive explanation without patronising the reader.

After taking this course and using this book I now have both a technical and intuitive understanding of macroeconomics.

The only minor problem is it is written with respect to the US economy i.e. all examples in $.

Overall recommended
on 8 February 2003
Blanchard's book provides a keenly structured and different perspective to macroeconomics. The clarity in analyisis and use of models makes it a must read for all undergraduates. A highly recommended textbook!
on 2 May 2013
This book gives an amazing insight in to the world of Macroeconomics. I used it in my freshman year at Uni.
on 3 November 2015