5.0 out of 5 stars "The" linux book
This book is simply huge.

It's very in depth and covers just about all you need to know for sysadmin. It does take some basic knowledge of linux to make sense, so isn't a newbie book or a dummies guide but if you run linux at home already, you can't fault the content.

Published on 27 Nov 2010 by digitallyghosted

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING about the KINDLE VERSION
Firstly this is the best book written on UNIX administration (I have previous editions) however I had to return the kindle version as the sections of code in the book were unreadable, The code sections are not kindle text and are fixed size and blurry rendering the kindle version totally useless.
Published on 10 Feb 2012 by J Mcweener

1.0 out of 5 stars WARNING about the KINDLE VERSION, 10 Feb 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars "The" linux book, 27 Nov 2010
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
This book is simply huge.

As a trainee sysadmin this should give a great head-start on the competition and is inexpensive compared with 3 day training courses.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another great edition, 23 Oct 2010
J. Cooper - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
My third update of this book and it still remains one of the best sys admin books you can buy. Not only up to date, well written and a great resource but will also make you laugh too.

5.0 out of 5 stars An essential complete reference for Linux (especially for the Ops in DevOps!), 27 April 2013
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
In a nutshell: If you're administrating Linux/Unix on a daily basis then this book is indispensable. It describes all core concepts, skills and commands a Sysadmin will need for his/her daily duties, and it will also be a great complete reference for the emerging DevOps people. Trust me, if you're new to sysadmin work then please buy this book (along with my other recommendations below) - I can almost guarantee that it will be worn out and dog-eared by the end of your first year in your new chosen profession!

I buy a lot of computing books, and with complex topics like Operating Systems and programming languages I typically find there are three primary categories of books - the quick reference (pocket guide, essentials etc), the introductory or focused guide (think 'In Action' or 'Cookbook'), and the 'weighty tome' reference ('complete guide to', 'bible of' etc). This book lands firmly in the latter category for Linux administration. It's not a book you'll read over a weekend, but the sheer quantity and range of material contained within it means that you will keep coming back to this book time and time again. This book doesn't 'hand-hold' too much, and although this may be disconcerting for a complete sysadmin novice, I believe it's pitched perfectly at the average IT professional/geek (like myself) with a few years experience under their belt. If you do want a gentler introduction to Linux Adminstration then I would recommend the Pro Linux System Administration (Expert's Voice in Open Source)

My recommendation on how to initially use this book is to skim the first few sections of each chapter over the first weeks of ownership (e.g. shell-scripting, access-control, file system, network etc). This will give you a great grounding in sysadmin duties and skills, and more importantly when you're out in the real world and find yourself up against a tricky problem, even if you don't know how to solve it, you'll know where to look. It's often fun to deep-dive into a chapter if you're up against a specific problem, and soon you'll realise that over the past few months you've actually digested a large percentage of the book.

I would also recommend Linux Pocket Guide, which fits firmly into the quick reference category mentioned above (and I find myself using this book on a daily basis), and Pro Linux System Administration (Expert's Voice in Open Source), which although arguably not as detailed as the book being reviewed, is an easier read for someone new to the world of Linux sysadmin work.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very nice book for admins, 14 Jan 2011
Mr. S. Trivedi (Hants, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
V nice n informative books for people developing career in Linux administration. I use this book as reference almost very week for troubleshooting n understanding concepts. Heavy book though ;(

5.0 out of 5 stars Good summary of all concepts required for system administration, 19 Aug 2013
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
I'm a "part time" system administrator. I write software but have to maintain a lot of production systems and development systems as a secondary role. This is the perfect book for bridging any gaps in my knowledge quickly and efficiently. Covers literally every topic and even acts as a good perl and shell refresher at the same time.

Comparing it to massive tomes of information from Wrox or Apress on a single subject, none of which is correct or useful, this book is an oasis in a desert of dung.

Definitely worth the money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have for all Sys Admin, 2 Mar 2013
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
Covers a big range of tops , irrespective of your level this book is quite helpful.

Specially if you are new to the field , get hold of this .

Give references for more than one OS , including most popular ones and overall concepts are generic .

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bible I need, 24 Sep 2012
bioShark (Germany, Romania) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
I can definitely not make a 100% review of this book, due to the the fact that I have recently started it, and haven't finished it yet. I am a Software Engineer, development oriented, but with some sysadmin activities in the past and other maintenance work I do on a regular basis.

The reason I searched for a comprehensive book/compendium on Unix/GNU Linux was to clarify some of the questions I constantly have regarding trivial to complex operations I do on the systems I work on. I needed a manual which explains in detail what and why thing happen as they happen in the X world. Sure, I could find all the command I needed on Google, or by simply reading the man pages, but what I was lacking was inner understanding of the system as a whole.

And this book, the ULSAH4, didn't disappoint. I like the structure, the explanations and the examples. I definitely have a lot to learn from this gem, and I hope I will be able to go through it all, and make all the exercises they challenge you with.

I will update this review as I continue to read through the book.

3.0 out of 5 stars NOT TOO BAD, 13 May 2014
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
Yes this is okay. A little bit pricey but is not too bad. I would not replace this book if I lost it. I am not a big linux fan but did use it to pass a linux module for my BEng.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 12 Jan 2014
This review is from: Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook (Paperback)
I bought the physical book instead of the kindle to help brush up on some of the basic's which I take for granted yet needed a better understanding of.
I have to say it's brilliant very well written and covers a great range of systems
I'd buy it again. It's one I'll be keeping it on the shelf for reference

Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook
Unix and Linux System Administration Handbook by Ben Whaley (Paperback - 14 July 2010)
37.59