1 Review

4.0 out of 5 stars A Good Linux reference, 6 May 2008
Andrew Powell "AP" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming (Paperback)
I bought this book so that I could understand general Linux commands and structuring, and it has shown me a good and useful range. This book can be used as a Linux reference or admin book, but it is missing certain sections that would be rather useful.

The first problem that arises is how to add a new user on a Linux machine. This book tells you nothing on it and just leaves you wondering. I was also interested in the ssl connection configuration specifics so that we use secure connections when talking to remote Linux machine. This too was mentioned, but nothing more.

Luckily I also bought the Osborne Linux Complete Reference 6th Edition, which told me how to do the above commands.

But in general this is a well laid out book to teach you the fundamentals and higher levels of shell script, you might need a book like the Osborne one to accompany it, for more of a technical view.

Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming
Practical Guide to Linux Commands, Editors, and Shell Programming by Mark G. Sobell (Paperback - 1 July 2005)
Used & New from: £5.32