4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, a little difficult going.
A brilliant book for anyone studying a related course. The only negative thing i'd say is that some sections are a little bit tough-going for those not so familiar with all the terms, but don't by any means judge the book content on this: I'm not a real scientist yet!
Published on 12 Jan. 2011 by Ellie

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay textbook
Published on 18 Jan. 2011 by Sarah

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay textbook, 18 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Vertebrate Life (Paperback)
Bought this to go with my Vertebrates module at university (I'm studying zoology) and it has been useful as the lecturers used it as the main source for their slides. However I found it quite difficult to read, the pages are extremly thin and disgrams have no color (which i think does make a difference!). I haven't used it as much as I thought I would but saying that I will no doubt come to it again in the future. The major downfall for me was the price, if it cost say £15 less I would have been a lot happier, but I have bought more informative textbooks twice the size for less. One other book I would recommend if you also study Ecology is Ecology from Individuals to Ecosytems (Michael Begon, Colin R Townsend and John L Harper), I have found it extremly helpful for my Ecology module. :)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, a little difficult going., 12 Jan. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars A BOOK, 12 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Vertebrate Life (Paperback)
This book is very booky.
It has pictures of Tigers. I like Tigers. Tigers work well in this book because they are vertebrates. It also has pictures of other vertebrates. This is good in a vertebrates textbook.
It also tells you some Latin and Greek words. Me no speak these things so I can learn.
It also has a glossary. This is a common feature of many books.
The book is green.
I like this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent guide for zoologists., 2 Mar. 2005
By A Customer
This review is from: Vertebrate Life (Hardcover)
Perhaps the previous reviewer didn't do zoology, as this book is an absolute must for that subject - one word 'awesome'.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book problem, 22 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Vertebrate Life (Hardcover)
Received the book in a time frame as described, however the 'New' book i had paid for was used. Within a short time and following a couple of e-mails refund given in keeping with its used status. The book itself is excellent for my studies in marine biology. Clearly set out, brilliant content and clear illustrations.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a patch on J.Z. Young, 9 May 2002
By A Customer
This review is from: Vertebrate Life (Hardcover)
Since J.Z. Young's 'The Life of Vertebrates' has gone out of print there has been a gap in the market for a replacement. This book does not fill it. The cladograms are cluttered and not student-friendly. It's sections on evolution are poor and out of date with current thinking.
Bring back J.Z. Young!

5.0 out of 5 stars 1st class text, 21 April 2006
Mr. Will Walker (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Vertebrate Life (Hardcover)
This textbook covers all aspects of vertebrate biology thoroughly. A must for Zoology students.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vertebrate Life, 31 July 2010
This review is from: Vertebrate Life (Paperback)
Looks brand new - excellent condition even though sold as used. Wanted for year 2 of uni course so fingers crossed !

Vertebrate Life
Vertebrate Life by John B. Heiser (Paperback - 1 July 2004)
Used & New from: £11.79