5.0 out of 5 stars A sensible and user friendly guide to statistical analysis
I am currently using this book as I am studying psychological research methods at MSc level. I am relieved to have found this particular text as I am in the position of returning to postgraduate study, with virtually no memory of, and even less understanding regarding statistical tests, left over from my undergraduate psychology degree. The authors of this book appear to...
Published on 29 Oct 2001 by marieholmes2001@cs.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Got the basics, but some inaccuracies
A good introductory book to statistics, which enables the reader to understand the basic statistical analyses covering most tests taught on an undergraduate statistics course in psychology. However, some tests are not covered to the depth needed to understand the results. For example, the interpretation of the two-way chi-square is very difficult following the...
Published on 25 Jan 2011 by H. Hogh

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful, 24 Nov 2011
The book explains statistics in a straightforward way that enables understanding. I was disappointed that it did not have any of the stat. test formulae in it (even if they had been included as an appendix, rather than not at all). However, I am overall pleased with the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Psychology students must buy!, 24 Oct 2011
Hard to find the right book for spss! well this will give you a good direction into which way to tackle the dreadful stats!! Colourful, pictures and very useful points rather than reading pages on pages!
5* product and a defo must buy for the first yr psychology students or any year in fact as im sure going to be using it for the next 5yrs!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 11 May 2011
Laura Mckernan (Scotland) - See all my reviews
As a psychology PhD student I have never felt the need to spend money on a statistics book up until now. I've sat in on an authors seminar and loved the teaching style. This book is clearly written, explaining the theory and application behind statistics, as well as providing a step by step tutorial to applying this knowledge using SPSS. I cannot recommend this book highly enough, it covers all the basics for statistics used in psychology and prepares the student for any future and more complex reading required. Buy it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is invaluable for anyone who wants and needs to refresh their understanding of inferential statistics, 4 Jan 2011
I recommend this for 'continuous professional development' of many in the medical and behavioural science fields whose appreciation of statistics (on which their opinions often depend) is rusty or worse. Great value

5.0 out of 5 stars Ingeniously, 9 Nov 2010
Mrs. M. L. Zelazna (UK) - See all my reviews
Everything right and on time. Thank you.
(SPSS - hardest thing ever for me anyway )

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for university studies, 7 Sep 2014
Very good book if you struggle with SPSS. I would have failed and never got my statistics done if it wasn't for this book. Highly recommended to me by a statistics lecturer. Easy to follow and makes the job simple.

4.0 out of 5 stars Right up there with, "Pancake Mix Without Batter" and "Economics Without Debt", 22 Feb 2012
Having recently set myself a task to learn 20 new things badly in 20 days, I picked up this little beauty. I had hoped to teach myself how to do something well enough to convince people at dinner parties that I was worldly and knowledgeable. I've always found adding up and subtracting a challenge, and so this seemed like the perfect start.

From the first page, 98% of readers will see an immediate improvement in just how much of this book they have read! As the book makes a promise of not using "any confusing formula" normally associated with statistics, you really can be a bit of a dummy and still make progress. Arguably, that's actually a benefit, as it means you won't notice that you're skipping over any of the pesky 'actual' understanding that so often gets in the way of a good story.

In this Fourth Edition, John and Christine really pull no punches in correcting the misapprehension that you should understand the basics of something before pretending to be an expert in it, which is great for all of us who have too little time but need to get to grips with complex topics quickly.

This book also plays to classic archetypes, shoring up the belief that social science research requires nothing more than a quirky pair of glasses, a notepad and access to a thinking machine (or research assistants with a maths background).

Having now been to several dinner parties (and coming second in the Hull episode of Come Dine With Me!), I am considering taking the knowledge gleaned from this epic to start my career in journalism. Within days of contacting both the Guardian and the Daily Mail, they were so impressed with my limited grasp of statistics that I've had two letters published!

After this triumph, I've got 'Learn French by Talking Loudly in English' and, 'Microwave Ready Meals in 7 days' lined up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for anti-maths types., 18 Jan 2002
I have not as yet completed the book because it is after all a text book for understanding statistics.. and this inevitably takes time. However I would never have had the time to have conquered the mathematics that were once a prerequisite of understanding fully the concepts.
In short of its kind superb.

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it, 9 Sep 2014
This review is from: Statistics without Maths for Psychology (Paperback)
Good condition.

1.0 out of 5 stars unhelpful, 14 Jun 2005
This review is from: Statistics without Maths for Psychology (Paperback)
Uhelpful to those with little prior knowledge of stats, regardless of what the authors believe. Lots & lots of waffle, followed by 'but you don't need to know this'.

Statistics without Maths for Psychology
Statistics without Maths for Psychology by John Reidy (Paperback - 28 July 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01