5.0 out of 5 stars A sensible and user friendly guide to statistical analysis
Published on 29 Oct 2001 by marieholmes2001@cs.com

3.0 out of 5 stars Got the basics, but some inaccuracies
Published on 25 Jan 2011 by H. Hogh

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A sensible and user friendly guide to statistical analysis, 29 Oct 2001
I am currently using this book as I am studying psychological research methods at MSc level. I am relieved to have found this particular text as I am in the position of returning to postgraduate study, with virtually no memory of, and even less understanding regarding statistical tests, left over from my undergraduate psychology degree. The authors of this book appear to recognise the need for clearly outlining the concepts of statistical analysis, illustrating them through simple, every day examples, and guiding the reader through the practical application of analysis (using SPSS for Windows version 10). This clear, consise, step by step approach, without a mathematical formula in sight really does replace the familiar feelings of dread and intimidation, with confidence and motivation to use and understand statistical tests. You are also encouraged to test your knowledge with multiple choice questions and mini assesments at the end of each chapter, which are extremely useful ways of keeping track of your understanding. Also, the authors have highlighted the debate surrounding hypothesis testing, encouraging the reader to understand, and make use of confidence intervals and effect size rather than simply focusing on probability values. There is also an accompanying web site which contains all the example data sets used in the book.
I would most definitely encourage tutors to place this book on the reading list of every psychology undergraduate and postgraduate degree course, and I'm sure that it would be a welcome and valuable guide to anyone carrying out psychological research.

3.0 out of 5 stars Got the basics, but some inaccuracies, 25 Jan 2011
H. Hogh "sci-fi fan" (Guildford, UK) - See all my reviews
A good introductory book to statistics, which enables the reader to understand the basic statistical analyses covering most tests taught on an undergraduate statistics course in psychology. However, some tests are not covered to the depth needed to understand the results. For example, the interpretation of the two-way chi-square is very difficult following the instructions in this book and understanding why this is a test of association is glossed over. I would recommend the book to a student struggling with understanding basic statistical concepts, but there are other and better books of basic statistics available at a similar price.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very helpful book! Statistics without the headache for the 'non-statistically' minded, 12 April 2007
Ac Marzotti "Annalisa C. M." (UK, Nottingham) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Statistics without Maths for Psychology (Paperback)
I am currently studying psychology with the OU so this book came to me with the course reading material. I was initially worried about the level of mathematical knowledge expected of me, particularly since statistics was not the course I chose! I found this book illuminating, however, and actually, a very enjoyable, well-written one too. I was very happy with the ease with which I grasped essential statistical concepts and was then able to incorporate them into my OU studies. It is true that this book presents only the essentials but it does this with a clear understanding that the reader does not need or wish to become an expert in the field (as another reader emphasised, it is statistics without the maths after all!). I particularly found the "examples from literature" (use of statistical techniques in published, or non-, psychological studies), activities and support provided with SPSS very beneficial. Without this book, I think I would have struggled. Even aside from the course I am doing, it feels great to gain some clear (if restricted) understanding into this complex discipline. For now, it's good to know, this is all I need for my course. Who knows, I may eventually look for a book on statistics WITH the maths ...

5.0 out of 5 stars The greatest book combining statistics with SPSS, 29 Oct 1999
By A Customer
This book is the greatest one i have never ever seen before in this field.It is easily understandable in terms of the statistical concepts (that i couldn't understand them through many popular statistical books). The other important thing is displaying SPSS in every chapter.Additionally, examples of literature are included. Although these examples are from the psychology literature (as my course is in business), they were helpful to enable me to understand the mechanism of the statistical techniques and how to interpret the results. I wish this book was supported by examples from the business or marketing literature. However,as i think, it is very useful for all research students regardless of their topics of study.
One comment, not for the authors, but to amazon.co.uk : the number of pages of this book is 535 and not 352 as apears in the internet.
I would like to ask the ask the authors of this book: How many years you spend for preparing this greatly excellent work?

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, 6 Feb 2006
This review is from: Statistics without Maths for Psychology (Paperback)
I have no understanding of stats whatsover, and this book has been really helpful. It goes through using SPSS step by step, and shows you exactly how your computer screen should be looking, which is really reassuring. It's a set book on the DSE212 OU psychology course I'm taking, and it really has come into it's own. Brilliant book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Analysis made easy, 2 April 2010
I'm a 2nd yr psychology student and have found Dancy and Reidy's book invaluable. It explains difficult statistical procedures in easy to understand language and takes the reader through SPSS analysis screen by screen. I use it in conjunction with Coolican's Research Methods [ASIN:0340983442 Research Methods and Statistics in Psychology]] - another great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous as an introduction and update., 4 Nov 2008
Ellen Goudsmit "Ellen" (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
It's been over ten years since I completed my PhD. (I used SPSS version 3 for DOS). Having returned to research, I required an updated version with the latest tests, and a relevant introductory guide.

The tutorial gave me a basic impression. The textbook which I bought left me baffled and slightly phobic. Then someone sent me this. From page 1, I understood the basic principles, was reminded of things I'd forgotten, and I could deal with the few equations in the text. It was also interesting, reduced my phobia and indeed, allowed me to go back and understand my first text.

In short, this is a terrific introduction to some very complicated concepts.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good, reassuring book, 26 Mar 2007
S. Jones (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Statistics without Maths for Psychology (Paperback)
This book does exactly what it claims to, namely 'Statistics without Maths for Psychology'. The book is pitched at the level of undergraduate students who aren't too confident with mathematical principles, but who need to understand the basic concepts of statistical methods as they apply to psychology. Another reviewer has criticised this book for not containing any mathematical formulae, but what else should one expect, given the book's title! There are plenty of statistics books that cater for the mathematically minded, but Dancey & Reidy's book seems to suit most undergraduate psychology students, who neither need, nor wish, to have to struggle with the underlying mathematical concepts and complicated equations.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, very useful for beginners in statistics., 9 July 2014
Good book, very useful for beginners in statistics.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 31 Jan 2014
Has all the information to which the Exam was based on, the book was not damaged and was in great quality.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Statistics without Maths for Psychology
Statistics without Maths for Psychology by John Reidy (Paperback - 28 July 2004)
Used & New from: 0.01