5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent C++ book
I found this book informative and accessible. I do have a background in Java, but never programmed in C++ before. I was able to lift this book, and after a little reading write C++ programs.
Published on 3 May 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars IMHO, this text is over-rated.
I own or have read many of the Deitel & Deitel: How to program series (C++, C, E-Business, The Internet, C/C++ Cyber Classroom, & XML). The Deitels are indeed very profficient and prolific with intro programming texts. However, the C++ text is, IMHO (in my humble opinion) highly over-rated. Some of the reasons I will discuss below:
The size is unjustly (but...
Published on 30 Aug 2002 by A Good Read

2.0 out of 5 stars IMHO, this text is over-rated., 30 Aug 2002
This review is from: C++: How to Program (Paperback)
The size is unjustly (but significantly) inflated due to its repetition of all the hints, tips, observations, etc. that are presented within each of the chapters and re-iterated at the end of each chapter.
The sections on pointers were not the best I've seen -- and this is such a critical part of C/C++.
The formatting of the book (and indeed nearly the whole Deitel and Deitel "How To..." Series) is simply bad. All the programming hints, Software Engineering obsevations, portability tips, common programming errors, etc. are colour coded so that the text looks like a wall-paper sample book. It reminds me of some poor web-sites that use every colour and flashing item possible. Worse, these are (randomly?) spread throughout each chapter in the middle of the text so that it interrupts every groove you get into. (reading texts is not a quick process with the best of texts...so I don't appreciate being interrupted every 60 seconds.)
The result is that the text takes much longer to get through, since you are constantly being interrupted. Most other texts would use separate sections, or text boxes or something. Putting all these superfluous comments interspersed makes the reading hard-going.
Another thing that is starting to bother me about this and other D&D books is the repetition. As I've said, I've bought lots of their texts, and I feel I've paid several times over for similar content. (For example the C text contains a couple of chapters on C++, many of the books have similar introductory chapters...)
My biggest gripe perhaps is the introduction of object-oriented S/W development. Sorry guys but the Elevator example (which is addressed ad infinitum) is poor. It is discontinuous. There is little flow. I would have preferred something that was more clear with respect to the S/W development process for O-O...sadly missing.
Finally, I found many of the programming examples disappointing. Although they may have demonstrated individual concepts well, I did not get the sense of how it all fits together. I would have preferred the examples to be cumulative. By this I mean that the readers should be developing systems from the examples...not just simple programs. This would give a much better view as to how everything fits together from methodologies through to functionality to syntax. (it also would have been nice if there was an additional section on the MFC (Microsoft foundation classes).

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent C++ book, 3 May 2002
This review is from: C++: How to Program (Paperback)
There are plenty of code samples, and good explainations of this code. Any questions I have had, the answers have been in this book. I would highly recommend this book to anyone who wanted to learn C++.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Book!, 13 Jan 2001
This review is from: C++: How to Program (Paperback)
Clear, thorough, very interesting and an engaging way to learn C++. I have been off work ill and took to learning C++ to pass the hours, this book has enabled me to get to grips with a very challenging topic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent boo kfor C++ university course, 9 Oct 2000
This review is from: C++: How to Program (Paperback)
I have used this book for my degree course and it is excellent. The book proceeds in a methodical manner and the code listings are v useful. There is also a VC++ CD to create your own programs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes bits click into place that other books cannot reach, 2 Jan 2000
By A Customer
I havbe several books on C/C++ programming. I have only started Classes and it already has started putting the other books info into place. I would recommend this book especially if you have other books that don't quite tell you the nth degree: for me it has found the part of my brain to link all the other books together. If, like me, things don't fall into place with other books, at least try this one and see what you think!

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite a good book but not recommended for beginners, 5 April 2000
By A Customer
This is quite good it has lots of examples and is quite well explained. The book claims it is suitable for beginners however this is not true as it teaches in a matter that is suitable for people who do not know C++ but have previous programming experience. I would recommend this book if you know a bit about C++ and would like to learn more but begginers should look elsewhere!

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent! full of examples and exersises, 3 Jan 2000
This book is full of examples for every single element which it introduces. It starts from the ground up, so its good for beginners, and it has many exersises at the end of every chapter, another excellent book by this father and son pair.

5.0 out of 5 stars an investment, 11 Feb 2001
This review is from: C++: How to Program (Paperback)
I purchased the 2nd edition and its a really good book well worth investing in. I've even found myself wanting to buy edition 3, its that good. The book demonstrates some complex techniques in an easy to understand structure.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, Brilliant and Informative, 6 Mar 2001
This review is from: C++: How to Program (Paperback)
This book is just fab. A must have for all beginners and professionals alike. Clearly written and easy to understand. This book is made for everyone. Get it and you'll be mesmerized!!Highly recommended!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply outstanding introductory text (about first edition), 14 Mar 2001
Norberto Amaral (Aveiro, Portugal) - See all my reviews
This review is from: C++: How to Program (Paperback)
I bought the first edition of this book in University in 95 and I still use it sometimes as a reference book.
It is an absolutely outstanding introduction to C++, with very wide and relatively deep coverage of the core language. The code examples are illustrate the points very well and there is minimal clutter
Those who don't have C programming skills will find that isn't a problem, as the book puts you right there in the middle of C++. It's only a shame that some of the C functions (such as streams, files, etc) are not given any space. In real situations (such as legacy systems) C functions are sometimes found insterspersed in C++ code and this book won't help you with that, so beware!

C++: How to Program
C++: How to Program by Paul J. Deitel (Paperback - 3 Aug 2000)
Used & New from: £0.01