5.0 out of 5 stars Bottom line - Toatally glad I bought it.
I bought this book even after reading a mixture of negative and a few positive reviews, and am so glad I did. I had many questions about PHP and correct syntax that the online manual simply did not answer - this book does answer them, and a lot more.
Published on 15 July 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars Good book for beginners
If you are new to C like programming languages and you'd like to use PHP, this book is a good reference.
Someone who's more than a beginner will surelly find out more in the PHP mailing lists and discussion forums.
Poor examples without output printout.
Published on 9 Jun 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Bottom line - Toatally glad I bought it., 15 July 1999
By A Customer
Without this book I would have spent a lot of time submitting questions to mailing lists and waiting for answers. For example, if; elseif; else; is explained and an example is provided that makes it so easy to understand, the first time I used it it worked perfectly first time. This is a fairly basic example, but the book contains so many useful examples and real- useable ones too. The important thing is, I had never used if,elseif,else before to build a dynamic web page, and after reading the example in this book, it worked FIRST TIME!
As a result of this book being on my desk for a week I have transformed one site from a mass of pages to an application with a smaller number of actual pages that respond to users' clicks appropriately - thanks to a better understanding of PHP.
Tie in the examples in this book with the stability of the UNIX server, mySQL and PHP3 and you're on to a winner.
If you even think you need this book, I would say buy it! But then, the choice is yours.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, good, good, 14 Dec 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Core PHP Programming (Paperback)
Very well written book. Detailed, well organised good for rookies and for pros. My only concern (that's why one missing star) is about the not totally complete coverage of PHP programming issues (some topics missing). Anyway a very good book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get up to speed fast with this exciting language, 4 Nov 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Core PHP Programming (Paperback)
If your looking to get up to speed with PHP and are reasonably comfortable with C or C++ then this is your answer. From getting the distribution of PHP compiled (on Linux) or just installed (Windows) you will be admiring your first working scripts within the hour.
Somehow Mr Atkinson weaves straight, comprehensive information directly into an interesting prose. The reference sections have been thorough enough for me to get my work done without questions going unanswered.
With comprehensive coverage of the major database management systems available you will be able to confidently put together your DBMS powered Web Site in no time.
My only suggestion for the third edition would be a more comprehensive index to the function reference sections as you sometimes have to guess how a function would be classified before you can identify it.
Altogether a very good package from Leon Atkinson, who is a active contributor to the PHP movement.
Note to the Author: What we need now is a cook book!

5.0 out of 5 stars A good book!, 26 Mar 2000
I like this book a lot. The acutal text isn't that good, but I really like the list of commands, and the examples it gives. This book is very good.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Ideal book for someone coming at PHP for the first time, 3 Mar 2000
It was database administrator friend of mine told who first told me about PHP and everything it was cappable of. Convinced, I resolved to find myself a book that would teach me everything I needed to know about the language, explain some of the underlying ideas that went into its development and which would get me up to speed with it in a reasonable period of time such that I could be using it in conjunction with a MySQL database. In Core PHP programming, I found just such a book.
It's not arid in the way that many programming books seem to be and it doesn't patronise you either in the way many American texts seem to want to do. If you're a complete newbie to the language as I once was and you're looking to buy one book and one book alone on PHP, buy this one.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for beginners, 1 Mar 2000
By A Customer
I've read this book and it is very complicated, the author used a lot of words that I could not understand.
Also a lot of the examples mentioned didn't work on my computer.

2.0 out of 5 stars Not much more than the online documentation, 30 Jan 2000
Dr. J. Moores (London) - See all my reviews
This book doesn't really give you anything you can't get from the online documentation. There are very few examples longer than a couple of lines. The author tries to put some stuff in about software engineering, but it fails to convince - particularly the assertion that HTML output from PHP scripts should be contained in echo/print statements. The whole point of PHP is that you can freely mix code and HTML!

2.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginners - not enough for Advanced Users though, 10 Jan 2000
I started coding in PHP a week ago, and picked it up quick enough. I found the PHP Mailing List very useful, and I also had a Web Server to try out code on. I felt confident I could code OK, so I was given a Job to do which involved a lot of PHP coding. So I bought this book last week from Amazon, and waited for it to arrive, which it did today. I have to say it's far too basic for a reference guide. You're better off consulting the PHP Mailing List where you can have a reply in minutes (usually with code to help you understand.) I'm at "intermediate" stage in PHP, and this book just doesn't cut it for me.
If it had a better chapter on MySql then I'd keep it. But I'm afraid it's going back.
This is however *ideal* for the beginner who has never used PHP.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book with lots of careless typos, 23 Aug 1999
By A Customer
Since this is the only book about PHP available in English, it's pretty much what there is. The book is very helpful and got us up and running with PHP applications. My only complaint is the many careless typos in the example code. When I was first starting, I had trouble telling if it was me or the example. Still, it was worth the money to me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Reference!, 13 Aug 1999
By A Customer
This book gets to the point!. If you already program and just need a good reference manual with simple (that's good) examples THIS IS THE BOOK!. It may not be the one for those looking to learn PHP without prior programming knowldege but if you are already proficent in a "C like" syntax, this is your book.

Core PHP Programming
Core PHP Programming by Leon Atkinson (Paperback - 3 Aug 2000)
Used & New from: 0.01