5.0 out of 5 stars Sun Net Admin book a review
What can I say? I read it and sailed through the exam:-))
I'd attended the Sun course a year ago but forgotten most of the detail as my daily work is very specific.
I read this book, worked throught the multiple choice questions
and sailed throught he exam!!
The Key learning points also focused well on what I needed for the exam. Nice one Richard.
Published on 25 Jun 2002 by Barry Herbert

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider carefully - riddled with errors
I bought this book on the strength of its endorsement by Sun. Unfortunately however, I found it to be riddled with errors - the DHCP chapter in particular is a complete mess and propagates mis-spelt command names throughout. When I emailed Prentice Hall with some errata, they didn't even have the courtesy to send me an automated acknowledgement.
Some of the chapters...
Published on 28 Feb 2004 by GRAHAM CROWDER

5.0 out of 5 stars Sun Net Admin book a review, 25 Jun 2002
Barry Herbert (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Sun Certified Network Administrator for Solaris 8 Study Guide (Sun Microsystems Press) (Paperback)
What can I say? I read it and sailed through the exam:-))
I read this book, worked throught the multiple choice questions
and sailed throught he exam!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Network admin study guide., 27 Aug 2003
By A Customer
Well, I work with Solaris every day and I found this dead handy.
Its not just an "exam cram" that fills you with facts and figures for the day of the exam, it draws you into thinking about how things work and how to diagnose them.
Seems to cover how to's as well as the sylabus, I'm not configuring a DHCP server every week for example but it explains how it works with simple intro's into DHCP macros etc etc.
Guess I'll be heading here first when I need a particular area.
Not the world's deepest book but hey, there's a whole seperate set of O'Reilly's if I really needed to know in-depth DNS setup for example.
How much can they cover for Unix networking in one book ??
Good for me and yes, I passed the exam.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sun Network Admin Study Guide Review., 3 Jun 2003
I attended the course and thought I would struggle to pass the exam 1st time around, with this study guide I managed to pass the exam no problem, the book covers all the topics in the exam very well and very clearly.
Mega thanx to Rick Bushnell for producing the study guide, which helped me, get through the exam :)
I would recommend this study guide to anyone who plans on taking the exam and to Network Administrators as a reference guide.

2.0 out of 5 stars Consider carefully - riddled with errors, 28 Feb 2004
Some of the chapters in here are very good, but because of the variable quality and poor attention to detail during proofreading, I would only recommend this guide to people who have access to Sun systems and are able to try things out. I passed my SCNA with a high score, but only because I have the luxury of access to test equipment. If you don't have this, and are relying solely on this book, you may struggle. If you are a borderline case where every exam question counts, I'd hate to see a failure because you have referenced incorrect information from this supposedly official source.
This is a wide-ranging and complex topic to cover, and nobody is perfect, but accuracy is critical and I'm afraid this book may let you down.
Sorry Prentice Hall, but you really must try harder.