5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent
Published on 3 May 1999

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay book. Not to be confused with "Perl 5 By Example."
Published on 17 April 1998

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 May 1999
This review is from: Perl by Example (Paperback)
Before buying this book, I had the 'Learning Perl' book by O'Reilly, which I found not too useful to learn perl. This book, on the otherhand, is well-written, and has excellent examples. By page 100 (in a pretty lenghty 500 page book!) - and only a few hours (really!) - I had converted a korn-shell script to a perl script... I also ran a test agains the kornshell (processing a 50Mb text file) and what took 120 secs now takes 30! So, I am converted!
If you want to learn Perl, from scratch, then I would recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for those who learn best by actual, clear examples, 7 Jan 1998
This review is from: Perl by Example (Paperback)
As someone who learns best by seeing and doing rather than reading abstract theory and explanation, this book is a God-send! Each example is broken down line by line with clear explanations so you can understand exactly what each programming element does. It's the first book to really show me a tangible example of object-oriented Perl that isn't easier as a standard subroutine. This is not a cookbook, but clarifies many programming language features that the Camel book discusses on a "more elevated" plane. If you read advanced programming language code for fun and didn't get lost anywhere in the Camel book, this approach may bore you. But if you're wanting to fill in all the holes from kludging together all those scripts by Matt Wright, this is for you! Highly recommended!

3.0 out of 5 stars An okay book. Not to be confused with "Perl 5 By Example.", 17 April 1998
This review is from: Perl by Example (Paperback)
After picking up a copy of this book after having read glowing reviews of "Perl 5 By Example," I realized I'd purchased a completely different volume. After my initial anger at my carelessness that two books would share such similar titles, I started reading and found it's actually not so terrible. The biggest problem for Perl initiates will be the occasional referencing of features that aren't explained until later chapters. The author seems to assume User knowledge of UNIX commands, though that wasn't much of a hinderance. Overall, I think my good feelings about the experience are more related to Perl than about the book. Just be aware if someone recommends "Perl by Example" that they may be talking about "Perl 5 by Example." One of the publishers needs to change this in the next release.

5.0 out of 5 stars Better than O'Reilly's Books., 25 Sep 1998
This review is from: Perl by Example (Paperback)
I believe that this book is a wonderful reference for Perl programers of all levels. The Detailed Index in the back makes it easy to look up the exact subject. Many details not discussed in the O'Reilly books have examples here.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money, 21 Feb 1998
This review is from: Perl by Example (Paperback)
Oh, come on! It would've been better just typing $ man perl. This book is entirely filled with very condescending and useless examples, followed by incredibly tedious explanation, not to mention thousands of errors. After comparing it with camel book, I found I had wasted 40 bucks for garbage.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best PERL reference on the market, 7 Jan 1999
This review is from: Perl by Example (Paperback)
Having studied other perl books, I can confidently say that this is the most clear resource I've seen to date--especially with respect to perl functions. Most examples are good. One drawback is that there are no exercises or problems to solve.

1.0 out of 5 stars Concur with fella from Oregon - Sucks!, 20 Dec 1998
This review is from: Perl by Example (Paperback)
Please do not waste your money on Perl By Example. It is very referency and not as good as Perl POD. If you must by this style of book at least look at the similarly titled Perl 5 By Example written by the same writer. There are several other Perl books worth getting. If you do not have all the O'Reilly books then go get those. Then get Effective Perl.

Perl by Example (Prentice Hall PTR Open Source Technology Series)
19.08