on 16 January 2013
WOW, chock-a-block with all the information you will need for a course on Computer Architecture - plus more! Gives examples of modern processors (i7, etc) which is a nice change from hearing passages in older books like "the lastest Pentium III has...".

The appendix is an amazing section - it will bring you up to speed on everything you need to tackle the real meat of the book - the first time an appendix has been a REAL help and not just there for occasional use.

My Director of Studies recommended this book to me, very glad he did, 5 star!
on 10 May 2014
I'm a third year undergraduate and the textbook is both challenging and comprehensible enough to read and understand. However, don't buy this if you're not doing a course/or two on architecture or if you're not into low-level stuff(say you're a php/python/ruby hacker who has never touched C/C++) since it's quite big and it does require you to know things. If you want an introduction buy "Computer Design: The software-hardware interface" by the same authors since it introduces the topics in this book in a way suitable for beginners(I have that book as well so I'm speaking from personal experience with the subject).
on 12 August 2014
This book is well written and nicely "modular", by which I mean that you can pick and choose the chapters you want to read. The lengthy appendixes are also good. I found it useful to read through these first before the main meat of the book. Whilst I found I had to reread a few bits to understand them properly, by and large I found things understandable without having to actually pay to much attention to or learn bits as I go along.

I enjoyed reading this very much and it improved my knowledge of computer architecture.

As a suggested starting point for anyone casually interested as I am, if you understand everything on Wikipedia you should be able to understand this.
on 18 December 2014
Excellent book for post graduates as well as technology enthusiasts. Just make sure to turn on your coffee machine (you are going to need it).
on 18 October 2013
It is a really good book Including the basic theory and the most advanced theory as well.
Execllent.
Very helpful
on 18 March 2013
I keep on promising myself I wont buy the latest edition ..... but always do ... the word 'standard' is just not sufficient
on 23 October 2014
A fantastic up to date resource on modern architecture. As a beginner, I was able to follow the material easily enough.
on 14 December 2012
Excellent book on Computer Architecture. It is a must have for anyone who wants to know how a computer work internally.
on 11 January 2016
The book of Computer Architecture. There is no other !
on 22 October 2012
Great Book. Fast Shippment. But it was little scratched and the sealing was a bit opened. But the book was quite fine