5.0 out of 5 stars AHEAD OF ITS TIME
Most Data Warehouses I have come across are still somewhere between 1.0 and 1.99 and are in maintenace phases. I would really recoomend that companies re-evaluate their whole DW/BI strategy and make the (quantum) leap to 2.0.
Published 6 months ago by Randolph

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, but not operational
Published on 29 Jun 2009 by Morten Lintrup

5.0 out of 5 stars AHEAD OF ITS TIME, 31 Jan 2014
This review is from: DW 2.0: The Architecture for the Next Generation of Data Warehousing (Morgan Kaufman Series in Data Management Systems) (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth reading, 26 Jan 2013
After working on more than a half a dozen of DW projects using Kimball methodology I started to see repeating challenges which lead to decisions or thoughts that I wouldn't classify as Kimball approach. I thought it is the right thing to do but I didn't feel comfortable with that so I thought it is time to check Inmon point of view.

Inmon tries to create a definition of DW 2.0 and I was positively surprised that many examples match my experience and decisions that I didn't feel comfortable with are actually important part of DW 2.0.

Probably the most interesting part for me was that I agree with many aspects (not all) of DW 2.0 but actually my experience is only Kimball which shows quite a significant overlap. The book doesn't go into design details where more distinct differences could be made.

If I compare it to Kimball I would say DW 2.0 is most applicable to large DW which is also what Inmon focuses on in his examples. What I learnt indirectly about Kimball is that it focuses on design and does not try to go into details of other important aspects of building a DW which are outside of the design; Inmon on the other hand does talk about it which I found very useful.

Am I going to use Inmon now? I might use some concepts like interactive area for real time DW (which is rather a pain) and be more flexible with design for instance include exploration area and use Inmon Data Mart approach for Power Users needs but I will most likely stick to Kimball with his Data Mart definition for core DW development but that is largely due to projects I do. For large implementations where people are not at a stage of learning what is a data warehouse I will most likely consider Inmon approach...maybe not all of it but large part that was presented in this book.

Take care
Emil

3.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, but not operational, 29 Jun 2009
Morten Lintrup "morlin" (Frederikssund, Denmark) - See all my reviews
The lettering and layout with lots of original figures and vignettes is a delight. Also, the content and ideas are certainly inspirational but the somewhat contemptuous attitude towards alternative approaches with a well proven track record is not befitting. The presented ideas does not seem to present a fully coherent and complete methodology, but that does not matter, really, when so much is original and not just a reiteration of other texts and previous work. - Pretty advanced, not for newcomers to DW/BI.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too High level..., 6 Aug 2010
Mr. P. Karp "PK" (London) - See all my reviews
I'm afraid I found this book too high level, too academic...perhaps I should have been looking for a technical implementation document from one of the major vendors.