5.0 out of 5 stars The best summary short of lots of peer-reviewed papers., 20 July 1999
This review is from: Texturing and Modeling: A Procedural Approach (Hardcover)
The first edition was outstanding for the sheer breadth of its coverage of ways of producing natural-appearing textures via computation. Coupled with an easy-to-read prose style and good examples and color plates, it'll make you think of ways of doing apparently unrelated things you'd never have thought of otherwise. I only got a glimpse of the second edition, but this has been a busy field the last five years, and I fully expect the second edition to be as useful and interesting as the first.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE procedural texturing book, 4 Jun 1999
This review is from: Texturing and Modeling: A Procedural Approach (Hardcover)
It doesn't get better than this. If you're doing more with graphics than drawing circles and boxes, you NEED this book. The writing style is academic yet conversational. A solid math background is recommended.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting read, didn't cover terrains enough., 30 Mar 2014
At least in the terrain chapter. Basically it told me vary the fractal dimension with height to get jagged peaks and smooth valleys.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing!, 21 April 2012
Michele (Bitonto, Italy) - See all my reviews
This book is a must for everyone who wants to understand how CG works and to create applications including textures and terrain generators, together with shaders for realtime and other.
I put 4 stars, even if I consider it a 5 stars, only because I had to read some chapters twice and together with other online materials just to understand better, but it's just me, I mean, I'm not a genius in math, but they use a very common language, especially the chapters of Dr. Musgrave.
So if you know the matters, better for you, otherwise put a lot of attention.
The book is very inspiring: I'm applying its theory with SideFX Houdini in my free time and I'm learning new things day after day.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for serious graphics developer and researcher, 6 July 1999
This review is from: Texturing and Modeling: A Procedural Approach (Hardcover)
I found this book in a rack in a local book shop where they had kept books about Photoshop and Illustrator. I asked the book seller, he said it's about making nice images so it is there. Any way absolutely must book for serious graphics researcher. I got introduced to genetic textures, I was unaware of them.
The book does not cover reaction diffusion textures.

Texturing and Modeling: A Procedural Approach
Texturing and Modeling: A Procedural Approach by D. S. Ebert (Hardcover - 19 Aug 1998)
Used & New from: £4.41