5.0 out of 5 stars If you're thinking of taking up cycling, a _must_ read.
After many years of not cycling (at least 10) I recently decided to start commuting the few miles to and from work. Many posters to the uk cycling group highly recommended this book for all cyclists but I thought that as a born-again beginner it might be of particular use to me. How right I was!
Franklin is a recognised authority on cycle safety issues and in this...
Published on 28 Jan 2000

3.0 out of 5 stars good overall
While his roadcraft advice is excellent and he has done great service to the cause of cycling, he is completely wrong about cycle lanes. They need to be made better, not abolished. Being an expert cyclist is one thing, but being an excellent road engineer with scientific and sophisticated knowledge of vehicle mixes on the road and how to design it safely is completely...
Published on 21 Oct 2009 by Richard Budd

5.0 out of 5 stars If you're thinking of taking up cycling, a _must_ read., 28 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Cyclecraft: Skilled Cycling Techniques for Adults (Paperback)
Franklin is a recognised authority on cycle safety issues and in this book he presents some very sensible advice on how to ride your bike as safely as possible. Such things as road positioning in different traffic scenarios and the safe use of "cycle-friendly" facilities are all covered. He also discusses various safety measures such as reflective clothing and helmets in some detail.
Some of the conclusions reached by Franklin are controversial and even counter-intuitive (for instance, he's no great fan of cycle lanes). His opinions are clearly explained, with plenty of diagrams, and he certainly justified the conclusions he has reached to my satisfaction.
I'm positive that I am a much safer cyclist (and driver, and pedestrian) as a result of having read this book. Every cyclist should gain something from it. Anyone thinking of getting themselves (or their kids) a bicycle _must_ read it.
At less than a tenner it's the best insurance you'll ever buy!

5.0 out of 5 stars Turns positioning on its head, 22 April 2008
S. A. Fisher "towedhaul" (Liverpool UK) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent book. It explains in simple terms how to ride more safely in traffic. It's the source book for the National Standard for Cycle Training (and Bikeability).
If there's only one thing you take from it, it should be how to answer the question "Where do you position yourself when you ride on the road?". Most people start talking about kerbs & white lines. Franklin says these are often irrelevant. What we should be thinking about is where the other traffic is and then riding either in front of it or to the side of it.
Brilliant!

5.0 out of 5 stars How to get road-wise, 25 Sep 2007
Dermot Ryan - See all my reviews
As in previous editions, Cyclecraft provides very useful advice on road-sharing in general, and detailed advice on how to recognise and negotiate hazardous situations, cyclist-hostile road designs and pretty much all pitfalls and obstacles. Its scope is comprehensive and its style is admirably clear.

The advice to keep your bicycle well maintained is spot on, though you'll need a different book if you want to do such maintenance yourself; this book focuses almost exclusively on how to travel safely and enjoyably.

Since it's published in the UK, the text assumes you will be travelling on the left side of the road. The text is certainly broadly applicable to the Republic of Ireland as well, though, as another reviewer says, the law in the Republic of Ireland currently compels cyclists to use cycle tracks. Given that, the advice in this book on how to negotiate the poorer designs might actually be even more useful there.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for any budding cyclist or someone more experienced, 9 Aug 2008
Wendy Creed "Crazy Mother Duck going round th... (Wherever life takes me) - See all my reviews
As an instructor myself I had to read this before qualifying - despite having cycled since childhood this book still had a trick or two up it's sleeve - things which I had never encountered before but since moving back to the south west, have in buckets - things I'd simply never have thought about if I hadn't read the book and I find that total novices find it a great help too. If there is one book I will alway recommend to my clients at whatever stage they are, this has to be it., John Franklin is that committed that when we launched Bikeability down here, he actually postponed the start of his vacation to join us! And it shows in his book too.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read for all cyclists, 28 Mar 2008
C. Brady (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
Every cyclist should read this book - it is as simple as that. If you are thinking about taking up cycling again, or have been cycling for a while you owe it to yourself to read this book. Parents whose children ride should get their children this book and read it with them to make sure they and their children understand the advice given.

I had already started cycle commuting before I read this book and it has helped to make me a much safer cyclist and much more confident cyclist. I'm sure every cyclist will benefit from reading this book as well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Practical and readable guide, 8 Oct 2009
I found this a useful guide to cycling and road safety, although as a complete newcomer to cycling (I was learning from scratch whilst reading this book) I did sometimes find it frustrating how the author glosses over things like gaining sufficient balance to be able to indicate or to achieve sharp turns. On the whole, though, the advice within this book is refreshingly pragmatic and practical, rather than adhering slavishly to the theoretical (and often rather scant) requirements for cyclists contained within the Highway Code. I am likely to return to re-read some sections once my confidence and proficiency develop. I did find I was able to start tackling potentially tricky manoeuvres like single-lane roundabouts within a couple of weeks of learning to ride. The author is clearly no fan of cycle lanes/tracks or helmets. Whilst I can follow his logic here, I'm not sure it is right to be quite so dismissive. Likewise, he skips through off-road cycling/mountain biking in a few paragraphs, seemingly finding it incomprensible that anyone would choose to travel more slowly (but joyfully) on tracks when they could arrive much more speedily and "efficiently" by road. So whilst I wouldn't entirely agree that this is a "Complete Guide to Safe and Enjoyable Cycling", if what you are looking for is essentially a guide to good roadcraft, and how to stay safe on the roads, you won't do much better than this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The cyclists bible, 18 April 2009
Vincent Licence (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cyclecraft (Paperback)
John Franklin's book is well written, easy to read and never boring.
I have a full driving licence for most vehicles except a bus and over 30 years of driving experience, and still I found that there was something to learn on every page of this remarkable book. Cyclecraft should be a part of the National curriculum and read by everyone, pedestrian, cyclist and motorist. John Franklin should be appointed 'Minister for cycling'

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Reading, 15 Mar 2009
F. Henderson-Gough (London, UK) - See all my reviews
A few years ago I bought Roadcraft before doing my advanced driving test. Now, having moved to London and disposed of the car, I discovered the two-wheeled counterpart. I would highly recommend this to anyone venturing on to the busy streets for the first time under pedal power. Even if you have a fair dose of common sense and road experience, there are some very useful, potentially life saving nuggets of information in here. I find myself referring back to it as my riding experience increases. A definite must have.

5.0 out of 5 stars If you cycle regularly you MUST read this book., 21 Feb 2007
Informative ideas in an easy to read format which will make you safer on the road.

I used to think that the safest place to ride was in the gutter (within 50cm of the kerb) This book opened my eyes and explained that often the safest place to ride is in the path of cars simply because you are more visible to motorists. At first i didn't believe that it would be safer but having tried it (and some of the other ideas in the book) I would recommend it.

On a forum i post on, one of the other members wrote that the ideas in Cyclecraft could save your life. I agree. Have i convinced you yet?

5.0 out of 5 stars Top read for new cyclists, 19 April 2006
I could not agree more with the last reveiwer.

This is the Highway Code for cyclists.

Explains in detail how to be seen by car drivers in all normal scenarios. A must have.

Cyclecraft: Skilled Cycling Techniques for Adults
Cyclecraft: Skilled Cycling Techniques for Adults by John Franklin (Paperback - 1 Jun 1997)
Used & New from: 0.01