on 26 July 2010
The Complete Learner Revision Pack provided by DSA is not so different from other similar electronic revision aids for learner and post test drivers alike; it features three disks covering each hurdle you will have to overcome in order to secure that lifetime pass of pure freedom. These consist of: A hazard perception kit, theory test practice and advice and guidance for the practical test. I will cover each of these in turn and attempt to convince you that this all in one set is actually worth the slightly heftier price tag given, as for me having just passed both my tests I have found it an indispensible tool right the way through the suprisingly short process.

I - The Theory Test Disk

The theory test disk covers as you would expect; the complete question set specified by DSA, an invaluable tool combined with the use of the new case-style questions for convenience. This is relatively unique compared to other software available which too often just displays the preset questions, although useful doesn't in my view guarantee success in the theory. The ability to take the multiple choice test as many times as you like is another common feature, yet in this version your results are analysed in greater scrutiny providing a consistent and coherent methodological process to aid and secure your expanding knowledge. On the night before my test I did a solid run through of the mock's provided on the disk, after about ten repeats (with different questions) securing 45/50 as the worst I convinced myself I was set, it worked! On my actual theory test I scored 49/50 in the theory, purely from this disk.

II - The Hazard Perception Disk

The second part of this triple pack concerns the other half of the theory, and provides a step by step process to identifying, anticipating, recognising and responding to various hazards narrated by Suzi Perry. Apart from her nice physique, the videos are very satisfying to watch, and in a way help you to articulate your thoughts through the mouse clicks. There are over 15 video's to watch and you can opt to pause and look at information and advice provided by the creators of the test about when to click. In addition the software provides you with regular feedback, and importantly for me a guide to the day of your test. On the night before to ease your nerves it has a video guide to the theory test included as an extra to ensure there are no nasty surprises awaiting you. It runs smoothly and efficiently; although in my opinion they could have included more videos and allowed more interaction in the actual guide, it does get the job done; and definately helped me to secure my pass of 65/75 in the hazard. Oh, and it includes the most up to date highway code.

III - Preparation for Practical Test

In my view the most useful as it covers a range of areas relating to the practical test including; advice, how to practice, recommended skills and time needed, spot test questions that an examiner may ask and most importantly of all, a mock driving test in action. As usual the disks run smoothly and is easy to navigate, advice is displayed clearly and really helps bring to life whats expected and required on the big day. As it is produced by the actual guys who set the driving tests it gives it extra weight and re-affirms that you are not wasting your time.

Overview:-

Overall a great three disk set, covers EVERYTHING you need to know and goes above and beyond other software by giving you additional links, advice to stay calm and revise, detailed analysis of how you cope to the various tests thrown at you and further reinforced by the knowledge that it was produced officially by the people who wrote the tests. Alongside loads of extra's like constant updates, the highway code, FAQ's and case study questions and THE ONLY software to give you full official explanations and guidance its well worth the extra few bucks. Of course it has its down sides in that it is much longer then other disks and of course more expensive, ultimately you can always ebay or of course (amazon) it, to get some money back, but there is really no need as you can keep it for the near future when you first set out on your own giving you complete confidence, as it has done for me!

A solid 10/10
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 12 March 2007
Step 1 - consign the DVD to the bin (it's tedious in the extreme). Then get on with revising for your driving test. Both the Hazard Perception and Theory test revision CDs are excellent. They follow the test closely and the questions are the actual ones that you will encounter so if you practice enough the likelihood that you will fail is very low. In particular the hazard perception test seems to catch people out. In practice it's clear that they aren't tryig to trick anyone. Running the videos quickly shows that the DSA is expecting you to spot rudimentary things such as cars braking, pedestrians walking in the middle of the road, cars reversing across the road, oncoming traffic, etc. Essentially all those things that would cause you to brake or stop. Having seen it I think that I wouldn't want anyone on the road who could not spot the things they are testing for. The theory test CD has a voiceover for anyone who has difficulty reading. All in all an excellent purchase.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 5 December 2006
I bought this set in October for my wife to revise for her theory test, she sat her test last week and gained 100%. I would recommed this set to anybody who is attempting to learn to drive, or wishing to brush up on their highway code, even I re-learnt a few things!!
on 4 May 2007
It doesn't work on mac OS X as it claims. I am so frustrated having to go through the whole process of searching, buying and waiting to recieve-only to find out it's not for mac. You will only know this after reciving it because if you look at the top of this page, it clearly says, it's mac compatible but in real it's not. my first hick up in amazon sadly. i hope, i can return it.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 6 December 2008
The Official DSA Complete Learner Driver Pack 2008/09 EditionThe complete learner driver pack does exactly what it says on the tin so to speak, Three books packed with lots of information on how to pass your theory and practical tests and ideal for people on a intensive driving course, and ADIs teaching people to drive, giving intensive driving lessons or a intensive driving course.

The theory test book gives every question that you might be asked and gives each with an answer and explanation located on the other side of the page. Practice elsewhere is needed to pass the hazard perception test, the full Highway Code is also provided. Which is a must for any one having driving lessons London or else where.

The other two books are part of the DSA series on teaching people how to drive. The first presents itself as a logbook helping you to get up to the standard required to pass the practical test. Which includes automatic driving lessons, in auto cars, This is good if you are being taught by a parent, as it will answer questions that they do not know and outline the standard you need to reach. Cheap driving lessons will still get you to test standard quicker, The third book provides more details of each part of driving with examples, used throughout to keep it interesting, so it will not be a driving crash course a great buy. Have a good driving week.
on 20 December 2013
I bought this for my son who was not interested in motoring and was reluctant to take driving lessons. The clear and concise way that this pack is put together helped me persuade him to take the plunge and after a course of professional tuition is now a qualified driver,
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Excellent and near-complete set of resources. The only missing piece is the Hazard Perception DVD - would love it if Amazon included it in the pack.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 21 May 2011
I bought this primarily for the Hazard perception DVD - thinking that I could pick up everything else I needed from the DSA book I had bought.

But, If you buy this set - you do not need anything else! I only referred to the book whilst being driven to the test centre on test day.

The theory DVD is a fantastic way to learn - and it helped me learn over a week of evenings, going from someone without a clue to a full pass - it enabled me to achieve a 100% pass on the test! I would not of been able to do this had it not been for this DVD.

The Hazard DVD part of the set could be better - but the quality of the videos are not much different to that of the test centre. Be warned - the DVD only has 10 video clips - whereas the test center tests you on 14. So your scores on the DVD will not be representative of your final scores at the test center! In my opinion it seemed easier at the test center too.

I would also suggest using the HAZARD DVD on a proper DVD player, when I used it on a computer - the quality was not so good.

At the end of the test, the test centre computer asks you if you would like to try out some questions that they intend to use the following year - these are not marked as part of your test result, but just help the DSA plan ahead for next year. I did this - and noticed that the questions they asked where also part of the theory DVD I had been revising on!

I have not yet used the practical DVD that comes in this set - so I cannot comment, but if the rest is something to go by, then I know it will be invaluable.

Good luck everyone!
on 25 February 2011
The driving theory test currently comprises of two parts: a multiple choice test on knowledge of the Highway Code, and a hazard perception test. This pack dedicates a disc for each of these aspects, plus an extra which relates to the practical test.

Disc 1 - the Theory Test CDROM
The best thing about this is that you get to revise all possible questions you could be asked. Sure there are hundreds, but there's no doubt having exposure to the real questions is a significant advantage. Put it this way, after owning this pack for a month I recently passed my theory test with 100% in the multiple choice section. I'm not sure I'd had achieved such a good result without the materials included. And the way the questions appear is more or less identical to the real test when at the test centre, apart from the fact that you'll use a touch screen rather than mouse.

It's worth noting that Theory Test CDROM does in fact contain a digital version of the Highway Code, but I preferred using a physical copy of the book, considering it's not an expensive purchase (The Official Highway Code)

A note about operating system support - the information is on the box but doesn't seem to be on the Amazon product description. It's Windows only. Officially it supports Windows 2000, XP and Vista, but I installed it on Windows 7 and it ran without a glitch. It has special copy protection so you can only use the product when the disc is loaded into the machine, which can sometimes be frustrating.

Disc 2 - Hazard perception DVD
This is a DVD and so can be viewed on your PC or in your living room if you wished. Everyone I spoke to recommended getting practice on this area, and I now I see why. I think people would definitely find the Hazard Perception test difficult without some practice. Again, it's reassuring to view clips and receive guidance from the official source, so you quickly pick up what you need to look out for. The DVD actually comes with about 60mins of tuition about hazards before you can actually proceed and practice the interactive tests.

My main gripe with this is that the video quality was pretty low in my opinion. Given that you have to be looking out for signs and indicators in the distance, the picture quality didn't lend itself to picking out these details terribly well. And I wasn't that impressed with the navigation of the interactive tests. The responsiveness of this section is not as good as it is when at the test centre which uses a proper piece of software rather than trying to emulate via DVD buttons. Still, it was invaluable nonetheless and I passed with a respectable 85%.

Disc 3 - Practical test DVD
To be honest I can't assess this as I have not yet loaded it. Be sure I'll give it my full attention once I start my driving lessons. It seemed better value to buy this pack, rather than just the Theory Pack and then buy this disc at a later date.

Overall a very useful product and I would recommend it to anyone revising for their driving theory test.
on 29 June 2011
I'm so glad I bought this triple CD/DVD pack. It really helped me with my theory test. The test scores really helped determine what you need to practice more of and what you are doing well at. I got 50/50 in my theory test and I put it down to the theory CD! I knew nothing about it before and in the 5 months I was learning it, I became an expert. Everything you need to know is included in the theory pack and it will garaunteed give you a pass in your theory if you revise often enough because it is so easy to know where you are going wrong! The only bad point I will say is the Hazard Perception DVD only has 20 clips on it, and after you've practiced them all once, you can't really do it again because you will have seen the clips twice, your result won't be a true perspective of how well you've acheived. My instructor leant me a very good hazard perception dvd with over 300 clips on it which helped me a lot. I havent yet had my practical test so havent really been through the whole practical test DVD, but I've watched the beginning and it seems to give some goods tips.
Overall, very impressed. Especially with the theory CD!