4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preparation

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good Enough As No Hazard Mock Test Which is Vital
Published on 19 April 2012 by Anthony

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent preparation, 25 Mar. 2012
Andy O'Boogie (Widnes, Cheshire, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Official DSA Complete Theory Test Kit - 2012 (PC/Mac) (CD-ROM)
Easy to load, easy to set up and very easy to use. Loads of info to help you get through the theory test. All the questions are probably on here. Be aware that from January 2012 the DSA are not issuing the official questions to anybody so don't learn these by rote. Get a copy of the highway code as well. The hazard perception is a bit of a problem with the small screen. It is not like that on the actual test where the 14 clips are full screen and hazards are easier to see. Having said all that this is a very good way to practice for the hazard. Oh by the way, when you go for the test DON'T FORGET TO TAKE BOTH PARTS OF YOUR LICENCE that is the photo ID AND the paper counterpart. They won't test you if you leave one at home (no exceptions) and that is £31 down the drain.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not Good Enough As No Hazard Mock Test Which is Vital, 19 April 2012
Please Read This Review. I hope it will help. I bought the Driving Test Success All Tests DVD. Passed every mock. Went into the actual Test and Failed the Hazard Perception by getting 39/75. The problem was the Driving Tests Success mocks are very different to the actual test and lull you into a false sense of security and you fail. My Driving Instructor lent me this DVD. The video descriptions are fantastic. And show you exactly how and what you need to pass. The video examples are exactly how they are on the actual test too. (the Driving Test Success videos feel different to the actual Test).

So you are probably wondering why I gave this one star. Because there are no mock tests on this for the Hazard perception which is totally stupid as you do not know if you have the knack down or not.

My only advice is you need to buy this and the Driving Test Success DVD to properly prepare for the Hazard part of the Theory Test as you need to practice mock tests. But you also need to see how the proper test is marked and what the videos are truly like and feel like which this video only truly shows.

With regards to the Theory Test Multi Choice Questions. My strong advice is use the AA Theory Questions book. Product 0749534451 on Amazon. (search for it in the search box). That book is old as it looks like it was made in 2002. A Relative gave it to me as she passed her test using it. As every single theory question bar one or two was in that book. And I took the 2012 harder theory test (twice). That book single handedly got me to pass my Theory Multi Choice part of the test as the layout is great and the questions are grouped and have so many in there to quickly glance over and lean them. Buy that book, seriously, You are doing yourself a disservice if you don't, but it!

In my first theory I got 47/50. My second today I got 49/50. And it was largely due to that AA book as I know I would have failed without it as the questions came up that I learned from there. With regards to the Hazard. First test 39/75. Second 68/75. (7pts off perfect second time). As some tips to do well. The biggest one is. Three of the videos had the hazard in the first two to three seconds of the very start. So be prepared to click from the very offset of the vid starting. I think that is a bit cheeky of them to do as none of the Driving Test Success mocks had the hazard that early and plus you do not expect the hazard to come so soon and then drive about for another full minute of nothing occurring. Three videos of the fourteen in both of my tests had this occur! (I think this is why I failed first time) Plus second advice look out for road signs. As that 9/10 will be the hazard. So if you see a staggered junction warning sign. A car will race out of that staggered junction and be the hazard. So click as soon as you see that car on the side of the screen and keep clicking when it pulls out. You see a children about warning sign. It will be a kid running out to the street.

On Country roads ones. You see anything and I mean anything ahead, either side of the road. Start clicking ASAP as that will be the hazard. Also country roads a high chance the hazard will be immediately after a corner so be ready to click as soon as you get round that corner. My advice click even if you don't see something after you get round a corner. As it will most likely be straight after that corner and you will be clicking in the yellow zone or in the green but you have not saw it yet. I promise you.

Nighttime videos, both times for me in that video type the hazard was an emergency vehicle (Ambulance and Fire Engine). So keep an eye out for cars acting strange like an emergency vehicle is about and start clicking.

For the Multi choice test. Learn the Braking Distance and Stopping Distance from 20,30,40,50,60 and 70MPH The Braking Distance is different to the Stopping distance and they can ask for either and usually one of the questions is on this this. So learn both. And pay attention to which of the two they are asking you for as I slipped up on mocks for that.

Finally make sure to take your Green Counterfoil paper!! Everyone forgets it first time as the instructions are not clear. They wont let you take the test without it and keep your £31

3.0 out of 5 stars Sorely lacking with the hazard perception, 14 Jun. 2012
N. Reeves - See all my reviews
I passed my theory test on Tuesday and used this as my learning tool. I passed first time (47/50 on questions and 60/75 for hazard perception).

The multiple choice questions are fantastic, you can study sections, then test yourself on those sections then do mock tests. i took 14 mock tests and passed 13 of them so the format really lets the information stick. I would say 80-90% of the questions i studied in the mock tests appeared exactly as they did on the real test. so this portion gets 5/5

The hazard perception is a joke. It doesnt give you a mock test, it doesnt tell you pass marks. The DVD sections are terrible dated (i swear i saw one car at least with a manual choke!) and it all needs a bit of modernising really. I couldnt understand when i was getting 0/5 on one video clip after getting 5/5 the previous attempt at it as it doesnt explain what you did wrong, just what you should have been spotting. What the DVD doesnt explain is how you are expected to click, luckily this all gets explained clearly in the actual test. So i would advise using this section to get a general idea of what the hazard perception test is like, but you cant use it to try and try again like you can with the multiple choice. This portion only gets 1/5

My advice would be to get just the theory test CD-Rom on its own (if possible) and then research other ways of practicing your hazard perception.

1.0 out of 5 stars Failed to work., 11 July 2012
Maybe this is a great learning aid, I wouldn't know as after installing it refused to recognise that the disk was in my computer. It seems that quite a few other people have had the same problem. Would recommend avoiding unless you want to risk getting absolutely nothing for your money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Theory disc didnt work, 23 Mar. 2012
I used the hazard dvd, which was what you would expect and quite useful. However the theory cd didnt work on all 3 of the different computers I tried it on... i had checked that this would work on the computer I have, and it says it does but unfortunately not. so im afraid it was a waste of money

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy, 24 Oct. 2012
Doesn't work with Mac OS X I've tried everything! Waste of time and money should be taken off the shelves until they fix this problem!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 21 Jan. 2012
Mrs. M. Lungu "itgirlno1" (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Was told to get this by my driving instructor since the DSA are changing the way they do theory tests in Feb 2012. I have no clue what they are changing, but this kit is brilliant. You can read the highway code, practice tests and do mocks. The CD is the multiple choice and the DVD is the hazard perception so you can test yourself on the tv with your remote. It's quite fun actually!!! And I hate revising...

2.0 out of 5 stars problems, 29 Feb. 2012
The hazard perception DVD was very usefull however the theory part did not work. When I tried to use it i got an error message. dont know if this was because i was using winows 7 operating system or if the DVD was damaged but i might as well have bought the hazard perception on its own and sazed some money.

2.0 out of 5 stars disc 1 brill, disc 2 awful!, 5 Mar. 2012
The factual/theory test part is great; you could use this to revise by reading through each section & only have to dip into the Highway Code for traffic signs, speeds & road markings, however that's a bit of a short-cut & I'm not sure how I feel about that. Going through the multiple choice questions is great, although the questions themselves seem no different to older question banks. I bought this hoping to see if there were any newer questions I needed to know about, particularly the case studies. However there are only a very small number of case studies on the disk. The hazard perception disk is abysmal. I've had other makes in the past which give a lot more control when it comes to reviewing them, however with these I can't for the life of me work out how to select which ones to do, the only option seems to be sit through all 42 of them, each one repeated afterwards, in one long sitting (very long!), not what I had in mind at all and a waste of my very scarce time. I really don't think this kit is necessary to passing the theory test (I've passed it twice before with v.high marks & only now got the chance to seriously have practical lessons); if you can buy the first disk on its own go for it but if you value your sanity don't even think about using this one for hazard perception!

5.0 out of 5 stars This made me pass my test!, 12 Mar. 2012
The multiple choice part of this disk is really good. Lots of different ways to revise and realistic mock tests. I've used this a lot and there are still new questions I haven't seen yet all the time.

The hazard perception part is pretty disappointing though. There's only a few different videos to look at and once you've done them you don't get fresh ones. The fact that you've seen the videos before and know when the hazards are coming makes your result unreliable. And so I'm not confident about sitting this part of my test at all as I don't know where my ability really stands. This section really needs looking at by the developers!

However even though the hazard part was repetitive it gave you an idea of what to expect which was enough for me to pass with above 90% mark on both parts of the theory test. I tried a number of older products but this is the only one that is close to the real test, do NOT buy cheaper alternatives! I used a number of different products and kept failing, this made me PASS, which is why I'm giving it 5 STARS rather than 4.

The Official DSA Complete Theory Test Kit - 2012 (PC/Mac)
The Official DSA Complete Theory Test Kit - 2012 (PC/Mac) by TSO (Mac OS X, Windows 7 / Vista / XP)