5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job
I revised this for a few hours a day for about 4 days and passed the theory and hazard perception easily, don't buy any of the other discs, this has exactly the same layout and questions as the real test.
Published on 18 Dec 2008 by L. Stott

3.0 out of 5 stars Hazard Perception Disc Inadequate
It was rather disapponting that there was a huge difference between the usefulness of the two discs.

Published on 12 Mar 2009 by Ms. S. Hurrell

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Hazard Perception Disc Inadequate, 12 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Official DSA Complete Theory Test Kit 2008/09 Edition (DVD-ROM)

The Theory Test CD-ROM did exactly what it said on the tin and really did cover every question that I was asked. The format is definitely conducive to learning and after seeing each question once or twice it is easy to achieve above the pass mark on the practice tests provided. Having used the disc I went on to pass this part of my theory test with full marks.

The Hazard Perception disc was, in contrast, severely lacking. There were only ten clips with which to practice - not enough to get a full idea of when to click and how to score the highest points. If I had only used this software before going into my theory test I would not have been so confident of a pass. Therefore I bought the Hazard Perception Driving Test Success DVD-ROM which I couldn't recommend highly enough if you are not fully sure of what to expect. Not only does it offer more clips (400 as opposed to 10!) it also reviews each clip demonstrating the boundary between scoring 1 and 5 on each clip. I went on to pass the Hazard Perception section with a score of 65/75.

If I had known the difference between the usefulness of the discs before my purchase I would have bought the DVLA Theory Test disc only (rather than the pack) along with the Driving Test Success Hazard Perception DVD-ROM.

5.0 out of 5 stars Does the job, 18 Dec 2008
L. Stott (London, England) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars 100% pass after 5 days, 26 Feb 2009
I took my Theory Test in early 2009, after having used this wonderful disc for only 5 days. I passed the very first time, achieving 100% for the multiple-choice questions and also passing the hazard perception test, though the latter was not 100%.

THE GOOD
There are about 12 sections in there, if I remember correctly. I only had to go through each section twice, reading all the additional notes the first time round and on the second round going through them quickly to see how many I could remember. You would be surprised just how easy this process is. At the end of my session for that day, I would do a mock test using the sections which I had completed (you will have the option to do this, including others) and this really boosts your confidence as you should be getting 100%!

THE BAD
I kept getting variable scores for the hazard perception bit, where small video clips are shown to you and you must click to identify potential hazards. Some of my scores were very low, suggesting that in the real test I would fail because of this. I still think it is important to try them just so as to know the layout of the hazard perception part of the test. However, I found a number of websites with free hazard perception tests, which I feel helped me out a lot more.

OVERALL
A great product! The hazard perception could be improved upon but the revision material is outstanding. I would suggest setting aside at least a week to get the most out of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic piece of revising kit - preparation for the theory test, 12 Feb 2009
Ms. Helen Wei Lin Cheung "H.Cheung" (Sheffield, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This is a fantastic piece of kit for the theory test because I passed first time today when I went in for the real theory test myself. the questions were really easy because I revised 7 hours a week and therefore the other reason was because they were the exact same questions as like to this preparation kit and because this product was set up by the DSA - the people who set the real test!

Even though I was poor on hazard Perception section of the test I still passed because of this fantastic piece of kit!

Don't hesitate to buy this product because as long as you revise for your theory test with this piece of kit it will be worth it in the long run!

2.0 out of 5 stars Good multiple choice, BAD hazard perception test, 7 July 2009
T. Taylor (UK) - See all my reviews
I thought that with this product being the 'Official DSA' version it would be the best product in this sector of the market. Oh how I was wrong.

The multiple choice disk is excellent and does replicate the real test, but the hazard perception disk is rather awful. You get 14 clips and that's it, not a huge bank of clips that are randomly selected each time you use it like on other products about, that also analyse the clips afterwards with you.

Overall very disappointed, there are other cheaper products such as the Driving Test Success range that are much better for preparing you for the test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Official product with questions in the test, 10 Feb 2009
Basically you get variants/same questions that you'll get in the theory test and the hazard perception videos.
Spent a couple of weeks revising an hour here and there by doing mock tests then spent the weekend going through all the question, about 700-800.
Got 50/50.
Hazard perception is not so obvious. a couple of videos were definitely in the test.
It really is the best product to revise for the test.

5.0 out of 5 stars Instructors view, 18 Jan 2009
Driveuk "ADI ,Review" (Cannock ,Staffordshire) - See all my reviews
The Official DSA Complete Learner Driver Pack 2008/09 Edition
There are two discs with this pack, no books, however there is a electronic highway code on the discs and most subjects are covered well, perfect for people doing a Intensive driving course.
The first disc is the theory test cd rom, which contains all of the latest questions asked currently (2008-2009) for the theory test
Revision mode, where you answer questions on topics and each question is marked and there is an explanation for each question as well. Revision mode can be used for one particular topic, or a mixture of other topics.
Realistic mock exams like the dsa ones, with performance analysis to show your weaker areas. Which you need to work on. So if you are doing a crash driving course you need this product.
The other disc is a hazard perception DVD which can be played on an DVD player and involves guidance on how to recognise and respond to hazards and video clips as a mock test just like the dsa test.
A great revision kit for the theory test and the hazard perception test so this is the complete package for some one having cheap driving lessons, a good value no nonsense buy, have a great driving week.

4.0 out of 5 stars VERY GOOD THEORY, 10 April 2009
Wasim Hussain (Birmingham, England) - See all my reviews
This product is very good in revisin for the Theory and has many questions, and also has a useful feature that you can see how well you done on each subject etc, so you know where to improve, also you can see all of your past marks and you can see how you are improving.

However, this product does NOT have the Hazard Perception on it, it only has a guide on telling you how to do it, and a few clips, not good for hazard.

Overall a good product but should have more clips on the hazard.

2.0 out of 5 stars great idea, lousy execution, 9 April 2009
This two-disc set is a really good idea. And if you can get it to work, and you revise well, you will ace your theory test.

*If you can get it to work.*

There are 2 CDs in the pack. The first CD contains the mock theory test software. It requires Windows, and it uses Securom. Not that it mentions Securom at all, until after you've installed it and you try to use it without the CD in the drive.

Neither is there any good reason for it to require Windows. Much of the contents of the CD is written in XML. They could have got it to run in a web browser if they'd wanted, and so supported Linux and Mac OS X as well. But they didn't.

The second CD contains the hazard perception test. The box claims that it works with Windows machines, or in a DVD player. That's a lie. It didn't work on my Windows machine. And it didn't work in my DVD player. I eventually got it working on my mother's five-year-old laptop.

There is really no excuse for this, not from a government organization like the DSA. Not only have they deliberately limited the operating systems that can use the software - the software doesn't even work properly on the systems it claims to.

Don't buy this. Borrow a friend's copy. This product is really overpriced for what you actually get.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good product, 11 Feb 2009
Lisa Wills - See all my reviews
Good product, arrived on time, and my son has just passed his theory test from using this practice disc.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›