4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as other reviews might suggest
Published on 30 Aug 2008 by E. Rottner

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy alternative software instead!
I bought this DVD as part of the official DSA learner pack which also included the theory test CD-ROM and the Prepare for the Practical Test DVD.

Published on 12 Mar 2009 by Ms. S. Hurrell

1.0 out of 5 stars Buy alternative software instead!, 12 Mar 2009
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)

To be honest I was disappointed with the Hazard Perception DVD as it only had ten clips on which to practice (which was not enough to really get the hang of when to click to spot the hazard). Nor did it review the clips afterwards to show you where you would click to get the maximum points. I would not have been confident going into my theory test without additional software.

Instead I bought the Driving Test Success Hazard Perception which had 400 video clips (of which I probably used about 150 in my preparation) and properly reviewed each clip afterwards showing you where the boundary lay between getting a 5 and a 1.

I went on to pass the hazard perception part of the test with a score of 65/75 - one which not have been so high if I had only used the DVD above!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not for the experienced... or anyone else really, 18 May 2009
A. Clark - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
I was hoping for some practical advice for my up coming hazard perception test for my LGV licence, something that would let me know what to expect and some guidance on how/what is judged as a hazard. I was always told that anything on the road or near by was a potential hazard, you have to be ready for anything.

But maybe that's different now from when I learned to drive, because the hazards on this dvd are debatable to say the least, and all it has done has got me worried because unless you see the tape the same way as the person who designed it, then you won't get the same answers.

For instance apparently a farm building should be considered a hazard, because there might be farm traffic around. I'm sorry but as far as driving in the real world goes you might as well be clicking on the sky in case of the hazard of alien abduction.

The videos on the dvd only apply to the practical test, the practice videos are too few and don't have any guide as to why you are right or wrong. Basically you learn nothing, and in my case it just makes you feel worse.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as helpful as you might think, 1 July 2008
Damian Ryan "damian_ryan" (Cambridge, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
I took my test for a full car license several years ago, way before all these new fangled theory tests were brought in, but in the grip of my midlife crisis I decided to learn to ride a motorbike.

So I needed to brush up on the theory test for bikes and the hazard perception test. This was the only product I found dealing with the hazard perception part of the test.

Being unable to compare it with anything else makes objective comment a little difficult, but I didn't find the DVD much use at all.

That said, I'm not sure it's necessarily the DVD's fault - I think the hazard perception test itself is poorly presented and unclear in what exactly is being measured (I passed it first time, by the way, so this isn't sour grapes). Even after watching this DVD, taking the mock tests (which require you to click the OK button on your DVD remote when you spot a hazard) and then taking the real test, I'm still unclear what I could have done to ensure a perfect score.

That's really my gripe - I didn't feel sufficiently confident after running through this DVD that I knew exactly how I was going to be marked in the real test.

But maybe that's my problem, not this product's.

Final conclusion: worth getting because it won't do any harm and might do some good. And you get to watch Suzi Perry presenting the bits between the clips. I'd borrow this or buy it cheaper second hand if I were you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the money, 1 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
With only 1 hazard perception test on the disk and no explanations of where you went right or wrong on your clicks, this DVD really isn't worth the money. Once you've done the test once you know where all the 'hazards' are and it's then useless for you.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of money!, 10 July 2008
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
The dvd is in several parts:
1. A series of chapters, introducing the techniques you're expected to use when taking the test.
Since these are exactly what you do when driving/riding, this is unnecessary for anyone with any experience at all on the roads. Having said that, the information was well-presented. There are no tips on how to pass the HP test - the DSA are sticking to their story that all you need is to have good real life hazard perception skills. Excuse me while I die laughing.

2. The HP test simulator.
This is the part I bought this massively overpriced dvd for. The simulator mimics the test very well, and the walk-through after each clip is also good. It makes a big difference to be given your score after each clip, as you begin to get a feel of what would constitute a 3, for example. You only /begin/ to make progress however, since THERE ARE ONLY 10 CLIPS ON THIS DVD! This is nowhere near enough to really get to grips with the test. I would strongly advise against buying this full-price therefore - get it secondhand somehow or borrow a friend's, because you'll get about an hour's use out of it and that's it. I still don't feel prepared for the test. Very, very frustrating! Also, the flag that shows your response has been registered is noticeably slow to appear - which rather defeats the object of a timed response...

3. Some multiple-choice questions.
These are the kind of things you get in the first part of the theory test. However, there are only 20 or so (so next to useless for preparation for that part of the test) and the fact that you can't select more than one answer at a time on the multiple-answer questions is irritating.

Let me repeat - DO NOT BUY THIS DVD FULL-PRICE! For not even one full test's worth of clips and more of the same garbled and contradictory instructions you get when booking the test, it's a collosal waste of money.

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this it's a waste of money., 6 May 2009
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this DVD to practice the hazard perception, before booking my test with the DSA. I thought that this would be worthwhile as it comes from the DSA, I thought it would help me with my test. After watching all of the video clips, I took the mock test that comes with this DVD, and failed. I thought that it would give a detailed analysis of where I was going wrong, but no! The way that the DVD is set out is poor, it provides no support and advice at all for you with regards to feedback. The best it can offer is "discuss this with your instructor" completely useless advice. This DVD needs a feedback section to help you on the way with regards to when you should click with regards to the hazard developing. On this DVD there are very few clips, so once you have watched it once, you know where all the hazards are, so it gives you a false score after you have done the test once as you know where the hazards are and are expecting them. Also when it comes to the test, in the real exam there are 19 clips in this exam there are only 10.
My advice to anyone who is thinking of buying the DVD - DON'T GET THIS ONE. You should look at the DVD - "driving test success - hazard perception" this DVD is much better.
Finally for anyone sitting the actual test, my advice: buy the driving test success - hazard perception DVD, work through it with its detailed feedback and progress chart, and when you sit the test, click three times for the hazard, you will score better.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not as bad as other reviews might suggest, 30 Aug 2008
E. Rottner - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
I was fortunate enough to be lent this DVD and in conjunction with the Theory CD passed my theory test first time around. That said, I am learning to ride a motorcycle as an experienced driver. The DVD progressively explains Hazards with a gradual emphasis on differentiating static hazards from Developing ones (ie ones which absolutely force a driver/rider to change speed or direction). This much is fairly obvious. I think to fully grasp the material it is worthwhile viewing 3 or 4 times to pick up on the subtleties and in spite of the narrators explaining that there is no benefit in resitting the example tests, I think it all reinforces the learning process so I would disagree.

However the major failing is not so much the lack of explanation of what a Developing Hazard is, it is more the very few practise clips available. Equally I am not convinced that the tests always register the responses accurately which sometimes makes you think that you have performed badly when in actual fact if you made the same decisions in the real test you would have been successful.

I would recommend if you are serious about passing your test that you get you hands on a copy of this DVD. I sat the test without any additional lessons since passing my driving test 16 years ago and all I can say is that it worked for me.

I hope this helps.

2.0 out of 5 stars only useful in conjunction with other software, 5 Mar 2011
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
I got this because I thought the official DSA disc would be the most useful (as is the case with the theory test disc which is great) but its actually pretty useless on its own.

It is fine for explaining what a hazard is and the overview is ok. As a learning tool alongside my driving lessons it was handy as a total beginner.

But as a tool to prepare you for the Hazard perception test it is really counterproductive on its own. At no point does it tell you what they are actually looking for on the test, how its presented or most importantly what they are marking you on! It doesnt tell you that you are marked on the speed of your response to developing hazards.

It only gives ten practice clips (which is not even as many as in an actual test). It gives you a mark, but doesnt explain what it is marking you on, and the review of the clip shows a selection of potential hazards (not even all of them) that could have developed. It does show the developing hazard in red, but does not explain that you are marked on the speed of your reaction to this, and that the others are clues. You dont get marks for them at all.

Its fine to get this in a pack with the theory test and other materials as it doesn't then cost much. But dont buy it thinking its going to give you what you need to pass the test. It doesn't.

I was puzzling over it for ages, and putting off taking my test because the hazard perception part seemed so baffling. It was this confusing disc holding me back.

Eventually, I decided to buy a third party disc just to try for some practice, but found enough information and free tests online to get the hang of it very quickly, took the test within a week and passed first time. It really isn't as baffling as this product makes you think.

All it took was an explanation of what they were actually marking you on, and a chance to practice. Neither of which this product provides.

Its not totally useless when used with other products, or even with very basic free materials online.

But as a standalone thing to prepare you for test, its not enough.

2.0 out of 5 stars DSA hazard perception guide, 25 Dec 2008
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
I think this DVD is a waste of money as it has limited no of practice clips. At the end of the DVD you may not realise if you have learnt anything new.....infact I felt as confused about the HPT as I was before I bought this DVD. What is even more perplexing is that this is the official DSA DVD.....what more to say. Easy Money for the authorities.

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time and money, 26 Aug 2009
A. Parker - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] (DVD)
I bought this because it is the `official' DVD. What a waste of money! There are limited clips, a pointless `what happens at the test centre' introduction (the DVLA send you a free DVD explaining this when you book your test anyway) and it isn't even like the real test!
I did pass but only because a friend lent me a copy of her `driving test success' hazard perception DVD.

The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD]
The Official DSA Guide to Hazard Perception [DVD] by Driving Standards Agency (DVD - 1 Jan 2007)
Used & New from: £7.30