4.7 out of 5 stars1,366

on 19 March 2010
This is a must for learner drivers and experienced drivers alike. As it is the latest edition it is up to date with all the new signs and rules. I brought this in preparation for my theory driving test and it is really useful. It goes through the rules of the road one by one and then has a section where it goes through lights and people with the authority to direct/stop you in a vehicle. The sections on signs and road/kerb markings are really helpful, and there is general information at the back. An essential read when preparing for the theory test, or just wanting to know the latest rules of the road.
on 24 February 2012
A very informative booklet,

A lot of drivers could do with buying and re-reading this booklet

Warning once read may lead to improved and courteous driving at islands and junctions
on 10 January 2016
I purchased this whilst I was learning my theory, for my upcoming theory test. I found the highway code a very helpful tool to learn from, accompanied by the official DVSA apps, you can't go wrong. I passed my theory first time using just the highway code and the apps on my phone.

Fantastic little book to help you pass your theory test.
on 3 September 2013
I have to admit its more than 30 years since I did my basic test, and 25 since I did an advanced test with the IAM. At that point I knew the highway code thoroughly. But things have changed: trams, mobile phones, sat navs, highway agency, active traffic management and adverse weather - It was always sunny in the old days.

I have just started working towards doing another advanced test (this time with ROSPA) and want to be fully acquainted with rules of the road - hence the purchase.
on 5 June 2011
This was a reluctant purchase; having committed a heinous crime, (38 in a 30 limit) and wishing to avoid three points, I was sentenced to four hours of "Death By PowerPoint," sometimes called a "Speed Awareness Course." I could argue that I was well aware of what speed was beforehand - awareness wasn't the problem, it was sheer carelessness, but we'll let that pass. However, as part of the punishment, I had to fork out for an up-to-date copy of this excellent book. (You might think that as the accompanying fine - sorry, "fee" - was £80, they'd include it, but no.)

Although the course referred only three times, and very briefly, to this great work of English literature, I found I was immediately hooked and absorbed, not so much by the characters, but certainly by the plot. The characters seem somewhat two-dimensional, although the author places them with some skill into a variety of different, and in some cases jolly dangerous, scenarios!

I won't spoil things for you by revealing the plot, but be assured it has so many twists and turns, you'll be left as stunned as I was at the plotmaster's ingenuity. Sometimes, you'll feel as if the characters are heading up a one-way street, then perhaps into a cul-de-sac or over a hump-back bridge, but somehow they manoeuvre their way out and merge back into the mainstream with little more than a glance over the shoulder, a look in the mirror, and a smooth prod of the "loud" pedal... sometimes in a roundabout way, (giving way to other characters approaching from the right) but often more directly, too.

Definitely a book for those sleepless nights or long plan journeys; thrilling, edge-of-seat stuff that I recommend highly. My deep thanks to Amazon for inviting me to offer my review of "The Highway Code."
5050 comments|675 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 24 June 2008
As has been mentioned - all drivers should have a copy of this book as it lays out very simply exactly what you should and shouldn't do in most situations on the road.
So many of us drive, ride or use the roads and we need to understand the ground rules - for less than the price of a pint, you can use it to dazzle your team-mates in pub quizzes, or settle those perennial arguements (what is the speed limit for a van on a dual carraigeway anyway?).
It's an absolute bargain - so if you find yourself frustrated by modern road designs and signs, or get confused by how to deal with some of the strange new junctions - get a copy.
on 21 February 2009
Great wee book I bought for my Granddaughter as she is now taking driving lessons. Previously bought her the cd but this is far more useful. Great delivery.
I got this for my son who has been using it alongside an app to prepare for his theory test.

It contains all the rules and knowledge needed for the test and is a vital part of the preparation.

As he has been studying I've also been looking at it and found it very useful refreshing my own knowledge on various changes since I passed. I know we are legally required to keep our knowledge current so it's been very useful.

Overall a vital resource for drivers and very fairly priced.
on 13 December 2013
Bought this as extra help for my son who was going to take his theory test, it was a great help and has since passed.
on 29 October 2007
It is evident that most drivers on the road either have lost the ability to read, or they're completely ignorant and simply cannot be bothered to be knowledgeable of the current rules and laws of the roads and road safety. Just for learners indeed! RUBBISH! If drivers simply took the time to have a look through this simple guide, people would be aware of the simple things such as when you can and cannot use a bus lane, and which lane you are supposed to be in when using a roundabout, and the list goes on.

I simply believe that ALL drivers should have a copy of The Highway Code and be up to date with road safety and the laws. Then some of these pretty pictures on grey poles on the sides of roads may actually make sense to the dim witted behind the wheel, and no longer wonder why they get nasty looks and unsociable hand signals from other drivers.