5.0 out of 5 stars Thin on characters, but great plot
Published on 5 Jun. 2011 by Mr. Philip Clift

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't really use it...
Published 20 months ago by Matthew Dunn

5.0 out of 5 stars Thin on characters, but great plot, 5 Jun. 2011
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
This was a reluctant purchase; having committed a heinous crime, (38 in a 30 limit) and wishing to avoid three points, I was sentenced to four hours of "Death By PowerPoint," sometimes called a "Speed Awareness Course." I could argue that I was well aware of what speed was beforehand - awareness wasn't the problem, it was sheer carelessness, but we'll let that pass. However, as part of the punishment, I had to fork out for an up-to-date copy of this excellent book. (You might think that as the accompanying fine - sorry, "fee" - was £80, they'd include it, but no.)

Although the course referred only three times, and very briefly, to this great work of English literature, I found I was immediately hooked and absorbed, not so much by the characters, but certainly by the plot. The characters seem somewhat two-dimensional, although the author places them with some skill into a variety of different, and in some cases jolly dangerous, scenarios!

I won't spoil things for you by revealing the plot, but be assured it has so many twists and turns, you'll be left as stunned as I was at the plotmaster's ingenuity. Sometimes, you'll feel as if the characters are heading up a one-way street, then perhaps into a cul-de-sac or over a hump-back bridge, but somehow they manoeuvre their way out and merge back into the mainstream with little more than a glance over the shoulder, a look in the mirror, and a smooth prod of the "loud" pedal... sometimes in a roundabout way, (giving way to other characters approaching from the right) but often more directly, too.

Definitely a book for those sleepless nights or long plan journeys; thrilling, edge-of-seat stuff that I recommend highly. My deep thanks to Amazon for inviting me to offer my review of "The Highway Code."

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading if you have a driving license, or intend getting one, 3 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
I have to admit its more than 30 years since I did my basic test, and 25 since I did an advanced test with the IAM. At that point I knew the highway code thoroughly. But things have changed: trams, mobile phones, sat navs, highway agency, active traffic management and adverse weather - It was always sunny in the old days.

I have just started working towards doing another advanced test (this time with ROSPA) and want to be fully acquainted with rules of the road - hence the purchase.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must for all drivers, 24 Feb. 2012
A very informative booklet,

A lot of drivers could do with buying and re-reading this booklet

Warning once read may lead to improved and courteous driving at islands and junctions

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful wee book, 21 Feb. 2009
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
Great wee book I bought for my Granddaughter as she is now taking driving lessons. Previously bought her the cd but this is far more useful. Great delivery.

5.0 out of 5 stars Serious value for money, 24 Jun. 2008
T. Manwaring "beyond driving" (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
As has been mentioned - all drivers should have a copy of this book as it lays out very simply exactly what you should and shouldn't do in most situations on the road.
So many of us drive, ride or use the roads and we need to understand the ground rules - for less than the price of a pint, you can use it to dazzle your team-mates in pub quizzes, or settle those perennial arguements (what is the speed limit for a van on a dual carraigeway anyway?).
It's an absolute bargain - so if you find yourself frustrated by modern road designs and signs, or get confused by how to deal with some of the strange new junctions - get a copy.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential if you use a vehicleoin Mainland UK, 10 Aug. 2013
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
Note there are slight differences between the mainland and Northern Island as well as other protectorate Islands such as the Channel Islands.

I purchased my last copy in 2008 and had used it for my motorcycle test and Rospa Advanced Riding test. (The latter test in conjunction with "Roadcraft:The Police Riders Handbook to Better Motorcycling".) I had mislaid my original copy of "The highway Code" and decided to purchase a copy published in December 2012. (I know that you can download it and view on-line but I like to have a copy in my hand.) This had been updated to some degree with slight differences in phrasing for some items and also in the rear updated information mainly dealing with learners and the power of bike that bikers can learn to ride on depending on their age which has recently changed.

I, like most vehicle operators, had only browsed the HC occasionally and had not owned a copy for decades. That is until I decide to train for my motorbike test. Though I knew some of the items, particularly road signs, had changed over the years, (There are still plenty of the old style signs around though I haven't seen a double bend sign for years.) The HC was an eye opener to how things had changed as was my motorcycle (DAS) test training. Things that I would have to do when I passed the test if not fail, where now the opposite way round. It also brought me up to speed, especially with new or revised signs, on what signs, etc. meant and not what I thought they meant.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for ALL DRIVERS!!!, 29 Oct. 2007
Mr. Mark Lake "The Photographer" (UK, London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
It is evident that most drivers on the road either have lost the ability to read, or they're completely ignorant and simply cannot be bothered to be knowledgeable of the current rules and laws of the roads and road safety. Just for learners indeed! RUBBISH! If drivers simply took the time to have a look through this simple guide, people would be aware of the simple things such as when you can and cannot use a bus lane, and which lane you are supposed to be in when using a roundabout, and the list goes on.

I simply believe that ALL drivers should have a copy of The Highway Code and be up to date with road safety and the laws. Then some of these pretty pictures on grey poles on the sides of roads may actually make sense to the dim witted behind the wheel, and no longer wonder why they get nasty looks and unsociable hand signals from other drivers.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just not enough to pass theory test, 27 Mar. 2010
K. Amirineni "Hope" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
If you are looking to take theory test then this Highway code book alone is not enough. It has all the information, but you have to buy a CD/DVD to better practice in question format. Specially hazard perception need a lot of pratice on computer. Driving test Success DVD is highly recommended. Just took the theory test and passed first time.

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompt delivery, 13 Dec. 2013
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
Bought this as extra help for my son who was going to take his theory test, it was a great help and has since passed.

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't really use it..., 24 July 2013
This review is from: The Official Highway Code (Paperback)
Just Sat my theory test, but mainly i used the Big book to revise and the DVD with everything on. I would recommend buying the DVD it helped me alot, just put it into your computer, install, and just do practice sessions, and then just set mock tests after mock tests, you'll get used to the questions and the answers that go with them, and this will help you because 99% of the 1000's of questions you could be asked will be on the system for your actual theory test, so chances are you will have seen all the questions from the mock tests on your actual test.. as i say i just passed mine, and i only didn't recognise maybe 3 questions out of 50. I did leave it a bit late for revision, but doing a couple mock tests a night helped me, and aswell let me know my highway code, so tbh, don't bother buying this, but the Driving Test DVD on amazon, and the offical DSA theory test book.

The Official Highway Code
The Official Highway Code by Driving Standards Agency (Paperback - 28 Sept. 2007)