5.0 out of 5 stars the police call it 'the bible'
Published on 5 Mar 2004 by marty mcfly

2.0 out of 5 stars really REALLY used
OK so the book is great "content-wise" however i bought it used because it was advertised as being in very good condition.
unfortunately someone has gone through it with a highlighter pen and added their own notes and also a training schedule to the inside cover. there is used like new and there is USED like used to death, this is the latter and had i known...
Published 2 months ago by ElloryP

5.0 out of 5 stars the police call it 'the bible', 5 Mar 2004
marty mcfly - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling (Paperback)
having done some limited training with the metropolitan police riders, i started to appreciate just how much better than me a class 1 trained police rider really is. throwing my bike into a series of tight lefts and rights on public roads i never once managed to shake the PC behind me - i was on a supersports with over 100bhp and he was 30yrs older than me on a BMW tourer. my respect was upped enormously.
the same PC told me to read roadcraft and i can truly attest that this book will not only make you safer, it will make you both a faster and safer rider and the combination will put a smile on your face all day long. the content is a bit dry, but for anyone that loves their bike and loves feeling like the king of the road, then the effort should prove extremely rewarding.
save your life and brighten up your weekend all at once, read this manual.

5.0 out of 5 stars Power is nothing without Control, 10 Jun 2005
I bought this bike off a motorcycle cop. I had just completed a day's Bikesafe training organised by my local force. As I handed over the cash the officer looked me in the eye and said " All you will ever need to know about road riding craft is in here". He was right. It has all the easy dialogue and feel of a tax return, but its concise and clear presentation help ram the message home: Power is nothing without control. This is especially true as road bikes are replicating the performance and handling of their racing counterparts more and more.
A good way of staving off boredom and keeping yourself sharp is described in the book. Using observation to anticipate upcoming hazards keeps you sharp and makes sure you're looking in the right direction when someone pulls out unexpectedly in front of you .
This book has really made me aware that however good a rider I think I am, I could be much better. It has encouraged me to look at riding as an ongoing training experience. Every motorcyclist should own a copy. Buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Vital reading, 28 Sep 2000
The techniques learnt from this book have saved my life several times.
You've heard the "it's not you, it's the other bloke" warnings?
This book is all about how to be somewhere else when "the other bloke" makes his mistake.

5.0 out of 5 stars bikers safety, 10 Jan 2010
G. J. North (Worthing UK) - See all my reviews
This book is so well written and so important to serious bikers who want to improve their riding abilities.
It has taught me so much I had no problems passing the Advanced Driving Test and I am 74years old and been riding bikes since 1964. I thought I knew all there was to know about biking how wrong I was.
Read this book slowly and digest the contents it will give you a lot more pleasure with your riding.

5.0 out of 5 stars The most useful book for safe motorcycling you can buy., 5 Sep 2000
The book was recommended by a local police motorcyclist who was giving advice as part of Bikesafe Scotland 2000.
Having read it thoroughly, I was able to more fully understand the information on offer in Bikesafe. This has led to my being aware of my own bad habits when on the road, and being able to correct them. Also, the book gives an insight into how to control your machine better and be prepared for the antics of other road users.
For anyone who is already or is considering becoming a motorcyclist, Roadcraft is a must.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the bests riding manual availiable, 30 Jun 2008
If you are considering which motorcycle riding manual to get, get this one this is by far the best. It is useful at lower and higher levels for all riders, if evey rider read this book deaths in motorcycle accidents would be far less common.

Its easy to understand, its very informative. It covers all aspects of riding a motorcycle safley. Compared with many of the other manuals out there this is the most comprehensive, practical and easy to follow. It can be useful for new learner bikers and experienced bikers.

I recommend this to anyone who has a motorcycle we all should own it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it if you own a Motorcycle, 12 July 2001
By A Customer
The first book anyone should buy before or after passing your driving test. Its a bit dry in contents but its easy to follow and all good stuff. Don't let the Police bit put you off.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book on how to ride safely, 7 Oct 2004
I bought and read this book before passing my test, and having passed it I return and re-read it occasionally. So far it managed to keep me safe on busy London roads! The book provides you with clear, concise instructions on how to ride quickly and safely. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars worth a look, 7 Nov 2000
By A Customer
always thought this book would be too square and dull but how wrong could I be. fascinating and interesting and has already saved my life by reminding me to always 'lifesave'...

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential reading for ALL bikers, 2 Sep 2009
M. Ewart (Milton Keynes, UK) - See all my reviews
Would probably describe my riding as intermediate, so room for improvement.

I found no earth-shattering revelations in this book. However, some of my riding (and driving) is probably a bit ad-hoc, so adopting a more systematic approach to riding will ultimately lead to an easier, smoother, faster and more enjoyable experience; and that's exactly what I'm after. Devoting less conscious effort to the mechanisms of riding and hazard perception/processing means I can spend more time just enjoying the scenery and so forth.

I have a dreadful habit of over-thinking just about everything and getting myself tied into knots. I've been using the system described in this book for a couple of weeks now and already I'm more relaxed and probably quicker on the bike than before.

I'm old enough to realise that the most dangerous thing I can do on my bike is be arrogant and assume I know it all, and that to be told what to do is somehow a compromise to thinking it out for yourself. This book does not provide all the answers; what it does do is give a really solid framework that lets you deal with the real-world problems of riding a bike. Being observant is only part of the problem (e.g. spotting the 'idiot motorist'), to avoid an incident we still need to react, and do so quickly and without hesitation. There are often too many choices to work through when deciding how to react to a hazard, so the system speeds this up.

This book has got me thinking far more actively about those things that I probably take for granted, like assuming people obey the rules of the road. It's all very well saying after the event that "I rode perfectly, it was the other guy's fault" but I'd rather not be doing that from a hospital bed. SO READ THIS BOOK - it's folly not to.

Motorcycle Roadcraft: The Police Rider's Handbook to Better Motorcycling