5.0 out of 5 stars My Desert Island Book ....
If I could have only one book Cross Stitch would be it. I stumbled across this book a few years ago and was totally blown away. Since then I have read all of the books in this series a few times (I am not the sort of person who usually re-reads books) they are just amazing - plus, I am in love with Jamie!

If you have not read any of Diana Gabaldon's books...
Published on 27 April 2007 by M. Lugg

1.0 out of 5 stars Sorry Just don't get it.
I read three or four books per week and I particularly like reading fantasy fiction. My interest was piqued when I saw that the TV series was being filmed near where I live. One article I read described the series as being the next Game of Thrones. I read several amazon reviews and convinced myself to download. Sorry folks I just do not get this at all on any level. No...
Published 1 month ago by Kenneth J. Mcdonald

5.0 out of 5 stars My Desert Island Book ...., 27 April 2007
M. Lugg "bookworm" (Helston, Cornwall United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Outlander, US) (Paperback)

If you have not read any of Diana Gabaldon's books then you are missing out on a real treat but I would suggest that you read them in order, starting with Cross Stitch then Dragonfly in Amber, Voyager, Drums of Autumn, Fiery Cross and finally, A Breath of Snow on Ashes. They are all wonderful books and can be read out of order (especially the first four which I think are the best) but I think you get so much more understanding of Claire, Jamie & Co if read in order.

4.0 out of 5 stars Unlike anything I've ever read before..., 17 Feb 2010
Nicola F (Nic) (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Outlander, US) (Paperback)
To put it quite simply, I caved and bought this book second hand from Amazon as a Christmas gift to myself after seeing it recommended on so many discussion threads that it was actually getting annoying I'd not given it a try yet. Oh, I had my doubts: It's definitely *not* my usual genre of reading (time travel romance with vast reams of history thrown in), but I've thought that before about books and have been proven very wrong (cough cough, `Bronze Horseman' anyone?) Put bluntly, this is another `proved me wrong' book to add to that ever growing list, because this book was stunning.

Granted, it took me a few chapters to get into it and I *did* wonder if I'd made a mistake paying a whole 23p (plus postage!) for the copy... Ha. The beginning was quite slow and laced with gratuitous sex scenes of duller than dull history buff Frank and his wife- the stories heroine Claire, but by the time Claire stumbled accidentally back through time into Jacobite Scotland I actually found myself quite enjoying it after all.

Maybe it's to do with Gabaldon's depiction of all of the epic battles, the geography of the place and her fantastic writing- you really can imagine yourself falling back in time to crumbling castles or running through woods away from the Red Coats. Her sense of description is just astounding- other reviewers have complained about her research being inaccurate, but as I'm not an expert on Jacobite Scotland I just took the book for what it was- a really terrific read. Or maybe it's because I'd actually taken a chance on reading something different than usual and was surprised by the potential of this untapped genre.

Whatever the reason, I'm ordering the rest of the books from this epic saga and I can't wait to curl up and read them. I really must remember that in future when a book comes so highly commended, it's usually with good reason!

5.0 out of 5 stars AN ABSOLUTELY RIVETING STORY!!!..., 17 Nov 2002
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
A lover of historical fiction, adventure books, and books with a time travel theme, I hesitated buying this book, despite the very intriguing sounding plot, because it was labeled as being a romance novel. Still, curiosity won the day, and am I ever glad that it did! This has got to be one of the most engrossing and highly entertaining novels that I have ever read. Surprisingly well written, I was hooked almost immediately.
The novel begins in the year 1945, and the plot revolves around the adventures of Claire Randall, an Englishwoman and combat nurse during World War II, who is reunited with her husband, Frank, after the war. While on a second honeymoon in Scotland, she visits a strange flat topped hill in the highlands of Scotland, where a forbidding stone circle draws her. Touching one of the stones, she is hurled through a vortex in time and finds herself in eighteenth century Scotland.
There, she meets James Fraser, a brave and brawny Scotsman, and finds herself thrust into the midst of clan warfare and intrigue. Finding in James a soulmate, she falls passionately in love, but is conflicted because of the feelings she harbors for the husband she left behind. She goes on, however, to have enough adventures to last a lifetime. What happens to these star crossed lovers in eighteenth century Scotland is riveting.
The author is a master storyteller and her use of historical detail is superlative. Those who love well written, historical fiction will be delighted. The book tells a rip roaring good story and is a veritable page turner. This is the first in a now published series of five books. Having read four out of the five, thus far, all I can say is...Bravo! I love each and every one of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars escapism at its best!, 22 Nov 2003
By A Customer
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Outlander, US) (Paperback)
I found this book on an extremely boring holiday with my mother in law and have read it approximately ten or twenty times since. It is quite brilliant, not sure whether it is entirely historically accurate! but this ceases to matter in the sheer fantastical escapism of the whole thing. The touch of the supernatural adds so much to what could have been a fairly dry historical novel and this touch goes on to add immeasurably to all the other books in the series too.
You need to suspend your disbelief on a number of occasions, particularly with regard to Claire Randall's ability to cure almost anything with a few herbs and a poultice or two, but I can't bring myself to be too harsh as I love this book and all the subsequent ones so much.
Jamie certainly only exists within the pages of these books, he is a male ideal, he is almost perfect in his blend of sexiness and romanticism and his single minded totally faithful love for Claire is what we women all dream of!
I have read all the books in this series many times and I urge you to buy them all, I can't wait for the final installment.

5.0 out of 5 stars A RIVETING PAGE TURNER..., 17 Nov 2002
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Outlander, US) (Paperback)
The novel begins in the year 1945, and the plot revolves around the adventures of Claire Randall, an Englishwoman and combat nurse during World War II, who is reunited with her husband, Frank, after the war. While on a second honeymoon in Scotland, she visits a strange, flat topped hill in the highlands of Scotland, where a forbidding stone circle draws her. Touching one of the stones, she is hurled through a vortex in time and finds herself in eighteenth century Scotland.
The author is a master storyteller and her use of historical detail is superlative. Those who love well written, historical fiction will be delighted. The book tells a rip roaring good story and is a veritable page turner. This is the first in a now published series of five books. Having read each and every one, all I can say is...Bravo! I love each and every one of them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Speechless, 18 April 2005
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Outlander, US) (Paperback)
I came upon this book by accident in the book shop and upon reading the back cover, thought it sounded ok. How wrong was I? It wasn't Ok, it was mind blowing. It had characters that were well developed and humour that kept the book light-hearted. I emphasised with poor Clair, having to choose between her husband and this rogue of a highlander. Telling you, great read this first one. I've read over it so many times that it's all doggy eared! I even gave it to some friends and they say it's the best. Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars An old friend, 6 April 2013
Have read this book many times....it is a dear friend now! Was recommended to it by a colleague and spent many lunches talking over Jamie and Claire's tribulations. No library should be without it.....even if you only have one shelf!!! At the beginning of "cross stitch " I get a thrill because of the excitement of living with them again for a while. Lie back and be transported.......it's a great journey!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars addictive story and characters, 19 Jan 2005
P. Burt "nailsea_belle" (Bristol, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Outlander (Hardcover)
Thanks to Amazon and all the other book reviewers for putting me in touch with this book (I've just read the UK version called "Cross Stitch") due to their enthusiastic recommendations. I was a little wary at first - I mean, can a book with over 300 reviewers, nearly everyone giving it 5 stars really be that good? I'd never heard of the author before, and it seemed (from the point of view of an cynical old English reader like me) to have a few things against it from the start.
The author is an American writing about English and Scots people, having never visited Scotland and having been once to England. So it looked like it would turn out to be yet another American rose-tinted view of Scottish history with handsome hunks (speaking with a Yank accent!) sporting kilts and sweeping innocent maidens off their feet! Happily I decided to take a chance anyway and ordered Cross Stitch from Amazon. As others have commented before, this turned out not to be a standard romantic fiction novel. It's an sweeping 18th century historical novel set against the Jacobite rebellion in 1745, with an intense romance between the hero and heroine of the book, Jamie and Claire, plus a touch of the supernatural (time-travel, a la Dr Who!) thrown in to the mix. I found myself really caring about the main characters and even felt a bit teary-eyed on one or two occasions. My only complaint would be that almost all the English characters in the book(apart from Claire and Frank) were portrayed as mad, bad or homosexual. Hope this feature improves with her other books in the series which of course, I now feel compelled to read! As other readers have said, there is some sex and violence in the novel, including a wife-beating scene, so this book may not suitable for very young teenagers. However, this was all in keeping with the historical setting of the story, and did not spoil my own enjoyment of this excellent novel. It's very well researched and I found very little to criticize in its authenticity; Diana Gabaldon has even tried to include British slang words and names for things, Gaelic expressions etc - which other US authors often haven't bothered to do. So there were no really "jarring" bits of dialogue where you're thinking "Huh? -what's this?" I didn't really want the novel to end and found myself dreading the arrival of the last page - always in my experience, the sign of an excellent read. I can't recommend this book too highly. Don't miss it!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book deserves more stars!, 11 May 2005
Sue Lewendon "Film fanatic" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
All I can say is WOW!!!
I read this in utter bliss and was unable to put it down. I drove everyone crazy talking about it and have got people to read it for themselves. They all agree with me that it's possibly the best book they have read.
The characters are flawlessly written and the historical aspects are very accurate indeed. There are simply not enough words available to describe it and do it justice.
Basic storyline is that Claire Randall, a nurse during the 2nd World War, is home with her husband of seven years who is a historian of sorts. They are on a 2nd honeymoon to try to get to know each other again after being separated by the War for so long. They go to Scotland and whilst there, Frank is doing some research into his family history.
On a trip up a hill for a picnic, where there are some 'standing stones' like Stone Henge, they witness a ritual of some kind performed by the women of the local village. Unseen, they leave after the women have finished but Claire decides to go back and collect some plant specimens the next day. Whilst there she hears a sort of humming coming from one of the stones and before she knows it, she steps into the stones crevice and is transported back in time!
Almost immediately she is captured by an English Redcoat soldier. He attempts to rape her but she is saved by a Highlander and taken away. She is taken to meet the Scots' leader and this is where she meets Jamie Fraser for the first time. He has been injured quite badly and being a nurse, she tends to his wounds. They are saddled together and travel to his home, a great castle.
Here she is taken to Callum, Laird of the castle. He believes she is a spy for the English and so wants her to stay for a while to keep an eye on her.
Throughout this epic journey, there are some truly awful characters but none quite so evil as Captain Randall, the Redcoat who tried to rape her. He just keeps popping up throughout and gets more horrid as the pages turn.
However, Jamie and Claire build a strong relationship that will stand the test of anything Randall throws at them. The true test of this comes near the end of the book when he manages to capture Jamie. The sheer horror of what they have to face is mind bendingly real. I haven't cried so much over a book as I did when I read through Jamie's explanation of his torture. Ms.Gabaldon has done a superb if somewhat chilling job of managing the facts of this imprisonment.
Just when you think everything is going to be ok, she hits you with something else again and again. It really is a rollercoaster of a ride that will leave you breathless and weeping for joy as well as sorrow.
I spent several hours just thinking about all I had read and was still unable to think of a single thing I would change. This is a true masterpiece and it deserves to be one of the World's best sellers for many years to come. I am now reading the second installment of this wonderful story and I dread the day when I finish all the books in this series.
Even if you have never read anything like this before, I cannot stress hard enough to give it a go. If you have the slightest amount of compassion in you, you will find something that will stay with you for a very long time.
Mesmerizing and hauntingly beautiful. Well done Ms.Gabaldon!

5.0 out of 5 stars POSITIVELY RIVETING!..., 20 Jan 2003
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Cross Stitch (Paperback)
The novel begins in the year 1945, and the plot revolves around the adventures of Claire Randall, an Englishwoman and combat nurse during World War II, who is reunited with her husband, Frank, after the war. While on a second honeymoon in Scotland, she visits a strange, flat-topped hill in the highlands of Scotland, where a forbidding stone circle draws her. Touching one of the stones, she is hurled through a vortex in time and finds herself in tumultuous, eighteenth century Scotland.
There, she meets James Fraser, a brave and brawny Scotsman, and finds herself thrust into the midst of clan warfare and intrigue. Finding in James a soul mate, she falls passionately in love, but is conflicted because of the feelings she harbors for the husband she left behind. She goes on, however, to have enough adventures to last a lifetime. What happens to these
star-crossed lovers in eighteenth century Scotland is riveting.
The author is a master storyteller and her use of historical detail is superlative. Those who love well written, historical fiction will be delighted. The book tells a rip roaring good story and is a veritable page-turner. This is the first in a now published series of five books. Having read each and every one, all I can say is...Bravo! I love each and every one of them!

Cross Stitch (Outlander, US)
Cross Stitch (Outlander, US) by Diana Gabaldon (Paperback - 3 Mar 1994)
6.29