`The Torrents of Spring' is an early novel from Hemingway that was written during his time Paris. It is relatively short in length and is a satirical parody of the literary style of his fellow expat writers at that time. This follows Yogi Johnson and Scripps O'Neil as they go about their lives in a small town in Michigan. It is quite funny and although stylised, easy enough to read. It is unlike any of Hemingway's later novels and although his style is evident throughout, you can tell he hadn't quite found his voice yet. I found this to be a short, but entertaining read and whilst it doesn't have any great depth or substance, it is still well worth a read if you have enjoyed any of Hemingway's books in the past.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.
on 24 June 1999
I have wanted to meet Hemingway for some time now, but that being impossible for obvious reasons this book is the next best thing. Not only is this book outstanding but with all Hemingway's notes to the reader it's almost like he's right there with you telling the story. Every time I read Hemingway I feel the current story is better than the last, that rule holding true with this one as well. My advice to you, read it. It's less than a hundred pages anyway, so if you don't agree with me on how absolutely great this novel is you will not have wasted all that much of your time.
But at least read it for the notes and to see the struggling Hemingway trying to get you to advertise his book for him. It's quite amusing.
on 22 July 2014
This short and sweet novel is Hemingway’s second, written over the course of ten days as a parody of a particular style of writing. I’m not all that familiar with the works of Ford Madox Ford and the other authors who Hemingway was imitating, but I still enjoyed this love story and would happily recommend it.
on 15 May 2014
This is an interesting read for someone who is very into Hemingway, but would not be a good introduction to the author. Some background on the styles and authors he's parodying is necessary to appreciate what he's trying to do here. Can see early development of his style.
on 12 April 2013
I have many Hemingway books but this one is great . So easy to pick up . the short stories are facinating and typical Hemingway skill
on 3 July 1999
This was the first Hemingway book I ever read. It was about 25 years ago and at the time I had tried to read H's longer books, such as The Sun Also Rises, and failed. Well, I was only in seventh grade and I had rather puerile tastes. At the time, Torrents reminded me very much of the Richard Brautigan and the Kurt Vonnegut books I was devouring. I still think this is a great book for kids. Its not the most representative introduction to Hemingway's work, but its much more fun to read (and shorter!!!) than The Old Man and The Sea.
on 9 December 2015