5.0 out of 5 stars The shorter, the better...
I might start by saying that I would not rate the book the full five stars I have given it, consider it more of a four-and-a-half stars (we might as well round up when it is that close to perfection).

Published 7 months ago by J.Kelly

His books are very male oriented and self centred. Detailed paragraphs are very sensitive but something of an indulgence. I now find the writing rather turgid in parts. In the past I felt I was missing something from the page, now I do not belive that to be the case. I am glad I have time to read but would not choose Heminway a third time.
Published 7 months ago by Di Billups

5.0 out of 5 stars The shorter, the better..., 19 Dec 2013
This review is from: Men Without Women (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)

Hemingway was a writer whose novels are hugely important in his canon and also to his identity as a writer, but as this collection of short fiction shows (along with many other collections of short material) he was equally adept in spare short prose. I would even go as far to say that his short stories are immortal, and the sum of their greatness surpasses that of his novels.

'Men Without Women' is a book that does not mislead the reader with it's title. I had read this some time ago and I remember an overwhelmingly masculine presence to the book, and yet, women readers should not be put off by this; there is enough beautiful writing for everyone.

Stand out stories from this collection include a personal favourite; 'The Killers' (COMPLETELY different to the movie versions based off of it, may I say...), as well as the brilliant opener 'The Undefeated' and the blisteringly short dialogue 'Today is Friday'. The only issue I had with the collection is that it jumps between overarching narratives, that of Nick in particular, and it sometimes feels bizarre to jump here and there, to these characters and then to the others, with no indication of sequence or linearity. This is a minor gripe, however. It is not confusing or a deal-breaker, it just means the book doesn't flow as fast as you would expect.

Overall, a must read for any man... and woman.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men Without Women = the Garden of Eden?, 11 Mar 2008
This review is from: Men Without Women (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
Hemmingway was 'a man's writer', yes, but the manliness, when its dark pasages are probed, is seen to be something of a front. A very different side to the man revealed itself in the post-humously published Garden of Eden, and speculations over the reasons behind his 1961 suicide are of a very 'unmanly' nature.

Still, you would be hard-presed to find any of this 'unmanliness' in this collection (except maybe for the title) - simple, rugged stories of fishing and hunting and the like. Hemmingway was one of the best short story writers and this collection is pretty much flawless.

4.0 out of 5 stars Short stories, 18 Jun 2014
This review is from: Men Without Women (Kindle Edition)
love Hemingway
no in depth stories but good examples of the prose that he uses in his longer works. varied settings.

5.0 out of 5 stars Men and their destiny, 4 Oct 2013
This review is from: Men Without Women (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
The highest rate I choose because of well written short
stories and I can only recomand the book to all.

3.0 out of 5 stars Having studied Hemingway over forty years ago I decided to reread his books having accumulated much more life experience, 2 Jan 2014
This review is from: Men Without Women (Kindle Edition)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 26 April 2014
This review is from: Men Without Women (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
Everything was okay, quick delivery, books where in a good condition, except one of the book covers was different then shown in the picture. But that's not a problem

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed., 5 Sep 2007
This review is from: Men Without Women (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
Hemingway is deservedly world famous and illiterates like the previous reviewer will never change that. He was never as brave as he made out, never as drunk or licentious as he would have us believe, but he believed wholeheartedly in the value of writing and dedicated his life to the art. Perhaps an even better short story writer than a novelist. He is a "man's writer" and all men could gain from him.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still Papa, 21 July 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Men without Women (Paperback)
This book is admittingly not the best of Hemingway's, but it captures the pinnacle of his writing style and gift for description and leaves the reader feeling as if they were watching the tales on screen or actually experiencing them and makes them realize that this is a must-have for any collection of Hemingway works. Notice that I summarized this in one sentence........just read it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Book Without Goodness, 11 Jun 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Men without Women (Paperback)
The stories in this book leave the reader with no doubt that they are reading Hemingway, but the collection is rather unremarkable. Typical Hemingway strengths, including strong and descriptive writing of places and things, are present. But I found the stories themselves to be weak.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ernest am I missing something~?, 27 Feb 2014
This review is from: Men Without Women (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
I enjoy Spain and I love the bull fighting but I do not like this very boring book. Why is it held in such esteem.

Men Without Women (Arrow Classic)
Men Without Women (Arrow Classic) by Ernest Hemingway (Paperback - 3 Nov 1994)
4.79