4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good
Published on 1 Oct 1998

3.0 out of 5 stars A unique look at African big game hunting in the 1930's
In this detailed account of Hemingway's first African safari, one gains a strong sense of the emotions of big game hunting, as well as a familiarity with the practical details that made it such a challenge. The narrative features the same precise, yet economical descriptions that characterize his works of fiction. The dialog, however, often appears rather contrived,...
Published on 17 Feb 1998

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good, 1 Oct 1998
This review is from: Green Hills of Africa (Paperback)
I am a big Hemingway fan, but I did not expect much from this book. After all, Hemingway himself described it as an "experiment". However, the Green Hills of Africa turned out to be a surprisingly good read. Hemingway's description of the landscape, the people and the whole safari is excellent. He could, however made the description of the hunting itself a bit more exciting. His account of the hidden jealousies within the safari is especially interesting, and the passage(just a long sentence actually)about the Gulf Stream is simply amazing. I highly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent book, 14 Feb 2002
Frank Daelemans (Sinaai, Belgium) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Green Hills Of Africa (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
...this is not an environmentally friendly, politically correct book; it is full of Hemingway's (true or perceived) self image of being a "real man". But that's the way Hemingway wrote and tried to live his life. If you don't appreciate that, if you can't place Hemingway's works into perspective, then read something else. For the others: this is a masterpiece. You live the story together with the author. His talent places you there: sweating, dusty, being excited with anticipation stalking game in the African bush. And you'll long to sit in the shade of a tree with a whisky too.

5.0 out of 5 stars One I think of Hemingway best. So cleverly written, 6 Mar 2013
This review is from: Green Hills Of Africa (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
You can certainly see Hemingway here in Africa. It is really fact or just what Hemingway would have liked to have done

5.0 out of 5 stars GENIUS, 20 Oct 2014
This review is from: Green Hills Of Africa (Arrow Classic) (Paperback)
I stumbled across this book and was drawn to it by an unfathomable pull. It was my first Hemingway read but certainly wont be my last.
Even though the idea of killing animals is abhorant to me I loved this book.His passion and enthusiasm is infectious and I was there beside him every word of the book.I have spent a lot of time in Africa which also added to my enjoyment.
As a novice writer myself I have found my muse.
I have almost finished Death in the Afternoon, which I think says much about his genius as a writer that this pacifist vegetarian devours his words even when the subject matter is about violence and death. I could read anything he writes simply because it is Hemingway.I plan to read many more of Hemingway's books.

5.0 out of 5 stars A book that, thankfully, doesn't offend anyone..., 26 Jun 1998
This review is from: Green Hills of Africa (Paperback)
You'd think being about white men with guns in Africa killing animals would offend more people. But I suppose that, for once, true greatness shines through past little things like that. What I liked was how Hemingway didn't really set out to tell a story that began or ended, just a story. He didn't bore you with things not bearing on his tale--a month hunting in Africa, a real time in his life that actually happened--and how he painted a real picture of himself, of hunting, and of the beauty that was Africa. I'd risk saying that this is probably a lesser-known (or at least lesser-read) work of Hemingway's, but it really bears reading.

4.0 out of 5 stars Whole Not As Good As Parts, But Parts Are Awesome, 5 Jun 1998
This review is from: Green Hills of Africa (Paperback)
I'm not a big fan of hunting, big game or otherwise, but I am one of Hemingway's. In this book what I most enjoy are the dialogues, the descriptions of Africa (maybe second only to Isak Dinesen's), and the musings on subjects as diverse as writing, the taste of that first drink of the day, even the island of Cuba. In fact, there's a passage in "Green Hills" about seeing trash from Havana being carried away by the Gulfstream which is so amazing and beautiful that it by itself is worth the price of the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Green Hills of Africa is more than a hunting adventure, 25 Jan 1999
By A Customer
Hemingway is a man's man, and rarely, if ever, does he let the reader know he feels. Reknowned for saying so much with so little, Hemingway exposes a little of himself at last. The Green Hills Of Africa is an explanation of emotional investment. Emotional investment in the land and in ones soul. Hemingway understands what it is to be overpowered by emotion. In the tradition of Robert Ruark, Hemingway has told a great story of African big game hunting, but unlike his predecessor, Hemingway makes you care.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hemingway in Africa, 6 Mar 1999
This review is from: Green Hills of Africa (Paperback)
Africa comes alive in this book by Hemingway. It describes hunting big game and the friction and rivalries that arise between the participants in the course of their safari. I think the best part of the book is a dialogue/dissertation on the state of American literature in Chapter 1, while it is filled with splendid descriptions and crisp dialogue. The "drunkards despoiling Africa" reviewer below needs to get a life. Wishing a buffalo would kill half a dozen human beings is revolting too.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read for anyone going on an African safari!, 5 Jan 1999
This review is from: Green Hills of Africa (Paperback)
One of only 2 nonfiction books Hemingway wrote, I previously ignored this book. However, in anticipation of a 10 day safari in Tanzania, I bought and read it. I must confess that at home, its impact was lost on me. After I arrived in the game park, I re-read it and enjoyed it immensely. Hemingway captures the essence of Africa in a way that only he can do. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to anyone contemplating a trip to Africa.

5.0 out of 5 stars Makes you want to go, 3 Aug 1998
This review is from: Green Hills of Africa (Paperback)
One of our masters takes you on a journey that only few can imagine. I felt as if I were right there with the khakis and bag full of books and local guides...sitting at a well stocked camp each night. One of his lesser known works, no doubt, but quite enjoyable nonetheless. (For a twisted experience, try reading "Snows of Kilimanjaro" immediately afterward, as I did by accident!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Green Hills Of Africa (Arrow Classic)
Green Hills Of Africa (Arrow Classic) by Ernest Hemingway (Paperback - 3 Nov 1994)