5.0 out of 5 stars Story telling at it's best, 21 Jan 2014
The book may have been first published over 40 years ago but I think it still stands up well. When I was young it drew me in to the story where i lived the adventure with Owen, Arabis and the others- and having re-read it recently I could see why I so enjoyed so much.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 21 Sep 2013
Sort of prequel to the "Wolves of Willoughby Chase" series. My 10 year old daughter loved it. Joan Aiken is a good writer and does fantasy for younger children very well.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of Aikens best, 25 July 2011
Constant Reader (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Whispering Mountain (Red Fox Older Fiction) (Paperback)
Highly imaginative children's book set in Wales with very appealing characters. The text is sprinkled with Welsh words and there is a glossary at the back, which fascinated me as a child. I've always felt since that Wales was a little bit mystical.

Am exciting story and a thoroughly good read - even for adults.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good even by J Aiken's standards, 4 Aug 2008
N. Lawson - See all my reviews
This is tangentially related to the James III sequence, and is a a tale of adventures and sinister goings on featuring schoolboy Owen, the Seljuk of Rum, and various other characters. It has an atmosphere as shadowy and sinister as "The Cuckoo Tree", as many dastardly plots as "Black hearts in Battersea", and lots of action and adventure. I think it's out of print, but I can't imagine why!

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical, 16 Oct 2011
This is one of the best books I have ever read. I read it first as a child and again recently as an adult. If anything I think I enjoyed it even more. Joan Aiken is one of the best fiction writers for children ever. The story has everything you want from a fictional work and is a prequel to her later stories, many of them featuring Dido Twite, Captain Owen Hughes and Simon. These stories will enthrall you, I could not stop reading "The Whispering Mountain" until I had finished, I was transported into her world and my long past childhood.

The Whispering Mountain (Red Fox Older Fiction)
The Whispering Mountain (Red Fox Older Fiction) by Joan Aiken (Paperback - 19 Nov 1992)
Used & New from: 0.01