5.0 out of 5 stars * - Dr Dolittle at his best. - *
The introduction of Tommy Stubbins as the Doctor's assistant makes it possible to see the Doctor in a new way, as it had never been possible for the animals to discuss the Doctor's doings with another human before. This makes "The Voyages" perhaps the best of all the Dolittle books.
We get to see the Doctor doing things never before imagined (in the...
Published on 5 Feb 2002 by A. H. Bridges

3.0 out of 5 stars The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle
It was very interesting to read the original story of Doctor Dolittle. No attempts to modify the style of writing and so quite old terminology was used. The story itself was a little weak, and didn't attempt to try and develop and part of the main parts of the story. Unfortunately I'd have to say that it was a little shallow for my taste, but fun to read none the less
Published on 20 Mar 2010 by Peter D. Buckman

5.0 out of 5 stars * - Dr Dolittle at his best. - *, 5 Feb 2002
A. H. Bridges "A. H. Bridges" (Cambridge, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Voyages Of Dr Dolittle (Red Fox Older Fiction) (Paperback)
We get to see the Doctor doing things never before imagined (in the bullfight) and acting in unexpected ways (the tribal war), and even wondering whether he should ever return to his animals and his beloved Puddleby. Hugh Lofting balances these surprisingly deep worries (especially the question of "improving life" for the tribe) with the humour and riotous fun of the Spanish chapters and the stowaway list.
Most of the books contain long digressions which tend to make the book heavy-going. There is much less of that in "The Voyages", but there's still so much happenning that the plot is never dull.
It's excellent. Buy it. Why not get the whole series? (I did.)

5.0 out of 5 stars Can Anyone tell me where to a non-abridged copy?!?, 14 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This book is excellent! I recommend the original version, and not this abridged piece of fewmets. This story tells of the first meeting between Dr. Dolittle and Tommy Stubbins as the travel to Spider-Monkey Island, fight a war, and save a island from sinking into the ocean.

5.0 out of 5 stars DEFINITELY ONE OF THE TOP 10 BOOKS OF ALL TIME, 17 July 1998
By A Customer
I think that this book is a tremendously enertaining and although it doesnt get moving along for a bit, the most amusing scene is in the court room with Luke the Hermit and Bob the Bulldog. I gurantee that once you read this book your will give it to your children who will give it to their children.

4.0 out of 5 stars Voyages of Dr Doolittle, 8 May 2014
I was surprised at how timeless this book. is. The writing is beautiful and the story cracks along at a pace so you never get bored.I thought the idea of the narrator being a child was inspired. Read it very quickly as I couldn't wait to find out what happened next.

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining classic literature for kids, 3 Oct 2013
My son loved the first Dr D book and was keen to get this one. He didnt' put it down so i think he enjoyed it!

5.0 out of 5 stars Polar bear, 30 Jun 2012
This book is really good with loads of fun adventures. When you start reading this book you can not put it down. With funny characters and animals ....

5.0 out of 5 stars stories within a story, 14 April 2011
Paul Hoffman - See all my reviews
My daughter loves the story and I have read it three times to her. She never tires of it. I put this down to the fact that the Hugh lofting wanders off in his writing. In a convoluted style his narrative includes stories withing stories which really works. He manages to grasp something that children love and adults (particular publishers) would question relavance of, I imagine. If it would nt be for the fact that this is a classic story I could easily imagine large chunks of it falling under the editorial axe. I m glad none of it has!

4.0 out of 5 stars A book full of wonderful imagination!!!, 8 Feb 1999
By A Customer
The book is a wonderful book. Hugh Lofting really knew how to explain all of his thoughts about animals to the people of the outside world. He had a great imagination of talking to the animals and we were lucky enought that he was willing to share all of his thoughts with us.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best!!, 28 Oct 1998
By A Customer
This book is great! It has an always-interesting plot and great characters. My favorite would have to be Polynesia. That bird is smart! My favorite part would be the part when they get shipwrecked and are stranded on tiny peices of wood. That's pretty exciting!

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the best book I ever read!, 1 July 1997
By A Customer
Doctor Doolittle was the most exciting book I ever read. I liked reading about all the animals.
It was a funny/cool book. I want to read more about Docter Doolittle and all his animals in his other books.
Ed age 10.

The Voyages Of Dr Dolittle (Red Fox Older Fiction)
The Voyages Of Dr Dolittle (Red Fox Older Fiction) by Hugh Lofting (Paperback - 15 Aug 1991)
Used & New from: £0.01