5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and satisfying
Published on 15 Jan 2002

2.0 out of 5 stars BRILLIANT(??????)
i am a student who had to read this book and do a presentation on it.....it is the worst book i have ever read in my entire life. the characters are flat, unrealistic and the author jumps from scene to scene in a disorderly manner expecting the readers to follow. Because of this it has totally put me off ever reading one of Toni Morrison's books again.
Published on 24 Sep 1999

5.0 out of 5 stars Riveting and satisfying, 15 Jan 2002
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
I could hardly stop reading this book. Toni Morrison really is an amazing writer - it almost felt as if someone was singing this book to me as I read it. I was interested to read the comments in the other reviews about the ending. I am a bit of a 'hard to please' reader. I like to know what happens to my characters, but I really don't like it when authors string together improbable plot twists to make it all 'make sense', or scrunch years into the final chapter to give a sense of what happened next. I think Morrison, however, gets the mixture just right in the ending of Paradise. It closes on a mystery, but gives you distinct clues about what happens to the crucial characters. How you interpret the clues is entirely up to you and the beliefs you hold. Fantastic - she includes us in the process of creation at a crucial moment. We make this book ourselves, as the men and women of Ruby made their worlds.

5.0 out of 5 stars good condition, excellent novel, 13 Mar 2014
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
Bought this book for uni but love it!

Good condition and kept to shipping times.

Would recommend to those interested in American or Women's literature.

4.0 out of 5 stars Not an easy read, 8 Feb 2013
This review is from: Paradise (Kindle Edition)
Amazingly constructed book - raises many issues about black conservatism / American reactionary views / black peoples views on women and the fact that some blacks are more equal than other blacks - need to read again to get a better handle of the themes

4.0 out of 5 stars A great read, highly recommended, 27 Aug 2012
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
As a first-time Toni Morrison reader, I was prepared to be confused in my attempts to follow her storyline. And to be honest, initially I was. However, all became clear as I began to read Chapter Two.
The plot was engaging and the characters interesting.
I am still (again being honest, though I am a little embarrassed about it) confused about what happens to the women in the end! Or perhaps that is the point?
This would be a great novel to read with a book club so that everyone could share their ideas about this.
A great read, highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Morrison's best work so far, 21 Aug 2000
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
In 'Paradise' Morrison's writing is even more beautiful and provoking than in her previous novels. Probably not the best for a first time reader, but absolutely incredible.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise - Toni Morrison, 12 Nov 2008
RachelWalker "RachelW" (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
I haven't read Morrison before, and I'm slightly wary that I've started here, with what is almost surely (such is the exemplary quality of the prose, the themes, the style, the control, the compassion, the tension, the intellect) one of her best books. If there are better among her works, then she more than deserves that Nobel prize.

Paradise is, of course, a story of race. From it's explosive opening line ("They shoot the white girl first.") this is clear, even if one were not more generally aware of Morrison and her work. What unfolds is a story of two communities: the racically black town of Ruby, about to be riven by a conflict between it's youngers and elders, and a neighbouring community of women living in "the convent", named for the building's previous use. Through eight chapters, each bearing a woman's name, the story of the town and the convent, and how the separate women each come to live in it, and the tensions between the two, emerge, flinging the reader firmly to the immense detonation in the novel's final pages.

Paradise is certainly one of the most powerful novels I've read. Primarily it is about tensions, conflicts: between gender, race, age, communities, time, even nature and humankind. It is compassionate, sometimes sharpy brutal, infused with history and poetry, and one of the most completely moving books I've come across. All reactions to books should be to some extent visceral rather than mental, purely instinctive rather than rational, and this appealed to me in those terms: like all my favourite novels, I can't explain why it draws me other to say: it struck me as a force, entire of itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradise Lost, 3 Mar 2005
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
This is without the doubt one of the greatest most lyrical works of literature I have ever read, its beauty and descriptions bring the story to life of a community that goes beyond limits it has set it's self and blames other sources to wash away it's guilt
Well Done Toni You Have Done It Again

4.0 out of 5 stars A confused but pleased fan, 15 Nov 1999
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
I am a very big fan of Morrison's work, this being the third novel of hers I have read, the others being 'Beloved' and 'Song of Solomon'. This may surprise many as I am both white and male - the two types of people Ms. Morrison seems to have a bit of a grudge against.
Anyway, I approached 'Paradise' with some trepidation; a friend of mine had already read it, and disliked it quite strongly. I was pleasantly surprised for the first 300 pages. It was confusing, but this is meant in a positive manner as it challenged the reader even more than 'Beloved' did.
My positive impression faded in the last 20 pages though. In this section it confused me too much and the challenge was impossible to even attempt, let alone succeed at. Can someone please explain what exactly happened to the women in the convent!? Please!
It is well-written, well-paced - but I believe Toni Morrison has strived too hard to throw the reader on this occasion.

5.0 out of 5 stars tremendous but confusing, 29 Mar 2001
Mrs. K. A. Wheatley "katywheatley" (Leicester, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
I am a huge fan of Toni Morrison and this book did not disappoint. I thought it was interesting how she explored closed minds and prejudice among an all black community and then challenges the idea of temptation in Paradise coming from "evil" by having the minister help sow seeds of knowledge and discontent. Her writing is lyrical and is the closest thing to poetry in novel form that I have come across. I did find the ending confusing though and re-read it several times. I still don't truly understand it, but have come to the conclusion that you are not meant to. Who does understand the mystery of life and death? Obviously not me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow, 3 Oct 1999
This review is from: Paradise (Paperback)
Having started with Song of Solomon I kinda knew what to expect but nothing prepared me for Paradise. This is my favourite book of hers: I cried when it ended. It is difficult to understand but it is worth it. I heartily recommend this book.

ARRAY(0xa3440930)

Paradise
Paradise by Toni Morrison (Paperback - 25 Mar 1999)
8.99