Format: Paperback|Change

on 9 September 2015
Bought as a set from the same author following TV interview. I have started one of the books and I am looking forward to getting engrossed in the series. Books arrived quickly and nicely packaged and protected. I would recommend to others
on 14 September 2014
Toni Morrison is an amazing writer, but this book didn't wow me. Her writing style is lovely, but I didn't get attached to the characters as I would have hoped. Her reflection on the piece in the back of the book is spot on.
on 7 May 2001
Morrison's first book does have the air of a debut novel, but this is no bad thing. The style and subject matter is one that we see developed and matured in her later novels, but her own individual voice is clear from the first pages. Using fierce juxtaposition, original imagery and often harshly stripped-down prose, she creates a highly moving, shocking and completely addictive book. 'The Bluest Eye' may be simpler than her later works, but Morrison is still worlds apart from most modern writers.
on 15 June 2013
Toni Morrison is one of the greatest modern Authors this book lived up to her reputation. How
can a book like this be rated when most writers would give anything to have written it,
on 14 December 2015
A friend recommended this author & I can see why. She writes beautifully & uses language powerfully. Her portrayal of poor black families makes for hard, unsettling reading.
on 29 November 2011
The Bluest Eye is a heartbreaking read about an eleven year old black girl called Pecola who believes that if she was beautiful then all her other problems will go away. This belief is quite common amongst little girls but the problem is that in Pecola's world (1960's America) the 'standard' beauty that Pecola aspires to is to have the blue eyes and beauty of Shirley Temple.

Surprisingly the novel does not focus on Pecola (who turns out to be the least developed character in the book) but instead gives a voice to some of the characters who live the community in which Pecola lives and it follows their lives up to and after some shocking events that happens to Pecola.

The characters were all troubling and thought provoking (especially Pecola's mother) and at times the narrative changes from the third person to the first in order to give a certain character a chance to speak for themselves. For such a short novel there are a lot of different events and themes but I didn't feel as though anything was irrelevant and some of the various back-stories proved to give insight to later events.

I thought the image of beauty that Pecola has in the novel an interesting one. If Pecola did have blue eyes then she would look more freaky than beautiful which just goes to illustrate how she has not found her own idea of beauty because she is unable to see it in her own world.

When I first finished this book, I did have one or two small criticisms but now I'm writing this review I honestly can't remember what they were, the overall theme and the heartbreak has stayed with me rather than the negative.

I didn't find The Bluest Eye as rewarding or as thought provoking as Morrison's Beloved (which won her the 'Pulitzer Prize') but it is a much easier read than Beloved in terms of the prose style.
on 2 December 2015
deeply affecting and empowering. This is a book I'll read again and again and I suspect it will connect on profounder levels each time
on 18 April 2014
It is is a beautiful book very well written. My first experience of Tony Morrison. I will definitely read more!
on 22 November 2015
Prose beautifully written at times, as were some of the descriptions, but basically did not enjoy the book.
on 29 August 2015
This is a great book. I thought it would come with a cover but, never mind, it still serves it's key purpose