Format: Paperback|Change

on 2 February 2011
I don't know if I would recommend this as a first ever introduction to Klein. It works well if you have read something else about Klein, or a more basic introduction to her ideas (such as Gomez's 'Introduction to Object Relations'). It is a dense book to read, and needs re-reading in places. Although I have not read it from cover to cover I think I have quoted it in every essay I have written on counselling or psycho-analysis. Klein, rather appropriately seems to split people - those (like me), who love her work, take it in and apply it to life, and those who really hate it. The ideas cane seem quite odd in places, and I think you have to absorb them slowly. It has helped make sense of life for me and frequently helps me understand my clients.
on 6 June 2010
An excellent collection of works, culminating in Klein's theory of primal envy.
A 'must have' for all trainee counsellors, it certainly takes us on a unique journey
through infant development!
on 16 January 2016
If ever Ladybird books needed to get hold of a book and make it more accessible, this is it. I totally GET that Melanie Klein was an important and valuable analyst, but dear, sweet JESUS, this book is hard to read. It looks like it's been photocopied for one (it hasn't but it looks like that). The type is small, blurry, difficult to read, dense.

It's such a shame that a woman who did such valuable work, got her arse out of a love-less marriage and went forth and did her own thing at a time when women didn't really do that, well it's a shame her work isn't more accessible for thickos like me. A good theorist but not a good writer, sorry. I have never bought a book and not been able to crack it. So this is a first for me.

Only buy this book if you are an egg-head and like books that look like newspapers did circa 1914.
on 13 November 2015
Everything as expected. Great thanks
on 18 October 2014
There may have been a time when Klein's theories on the origins of psychiatric illness were plausible. In the light of modern neuroscientific research on brain structure and function I see no relevance to her ideas. I cannot believe that infants below six months of age are capable of the reasoning that she attributes to them. I believe that deficiency of prefrontal cortical control over lower emotional centres in the brain can explain all the problems that she describes. I wonder if she realised that most mammals including humans show reflex rooting behaviour for the nipple (this is to elicit milk secretion) and this could be construed as aggressive behaviour.
on 13 March 2014
The book arrived promptly, and was in good condition. I don't find it easy to read- which is nothing to do with the seller!- and tackle it every so often.