4.0 out of 5 stars rich and rewarding - if challenging read
Published on 2 Feb. 2011 by Lucinda Stern

3.0 out of 5 stars klein
The book arrived promptly, and was in good condition. I don't find it easy to read- which is nothing to do with the seller!- and tackle it every so often.
Published 10 months ago by buyer19

4.0 out of 5 stars rich and rewarding - if challenging read, 2 Feb. 2011
Lucinda Stern (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Envy And Gratitude And Other Works 1946-1963 (Contemporary Classics) (Paperback)
I don't know if I would recommend this as a first ever introduction to Klein. It works well if you have read something else about Klein, or a more basic introduction to her ideas (such as Gomez's 'Introduction to Object Relations'). It is a dense book to read, and needs re-reading in places. Although I have not read it from cover to cover I think I have quoted it in every essay I have written on counselling or psycho-analysis. Klein, rather appropriately seems to split people - those (like me), who love her work, take it in and apply it to life, and those who really hate it. The ideas cane seem quite odd in places, and I think you have to absorb them slowly. It has helped make sense of life for me and frequently helps me understand my clients.

5.0 out of 5 stars Klein - Envy and Gratitude, 6 Jun. 2010
A. Cowzer - See all my reviews
An excellent collection of works, culminating in Klein's theory of primal envy.
A 'must have' for all trainee counsellors, it certainly takes us on a unique journey
through infant development!

3.0 out of 5 stars klein, 13 Mar. 2014

1.0 out of 5 stars Melanie Klein, 18 Oct. 2014
There may have been a time when Klein's theories on the origins of psychiatric illness were plausible. In the light of modern neuroscientific research on brain structure and function I see no relevance to her ideas. I cannot believe that infants below six months of age are capable of the reasoning that she attributes to them. I believe that deficiency of prefrontal cortical control over lower emotional centres in the brain can explain all the problems that she describes. I wonder if she realised that most mammals including humans show reflex rooting behaviour for the nipple (this is to elicit milk secretion) and this could be construed as aggressive behaviour.

Envy And Gratitude And Other Works 1946-1963 (Contemporary Classics)
Envy And Gratitude And Other Works 1946-1963 (Contemporary Classics) by The Melanie Klein Trust (Paperback - 6 Nov. 1997)