Ka

5.0 out of 5 stars Where every word is like poetry
Hindu Mythology comes alive in the pages of this book. Beautifully written, Calasso is indeed gifted with research & expression. Every word, every story and every insight within the book filled me with such joy...a book I can read again & again. A must-add to one's collection for oneself and as a gift to those you love.
Published on 23 Jan. 2011 by Pratibha Jain

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible
Published 19 months ago by I. Losada

5.0 out of 5 stars Where every word is like poetry, 23 Jan. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars a magical view on indian myths..engrossing, 9 Aug. 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: Ka (Paperback)
the book drew me in and kept me there right to its ultimate enument....startling insights into the hindu myths combine with wondrous story telling to make this one of my favourite reads last year...the unpatronizing outsiders tone adds to its character

2.0 out of 5 stars Incomprehensible, 22 Oct. 2013
I. Losada "Isabel Losada" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Ka (Paperback)
Perhaps if you are already a student of Hindu myths and stories or have been a student for many years or have studied the Gita then it may be easier - but this is certainly not for a beginner. It is not in 'novel' form (as they have told us on the cover to encourage us to buy it) - it is a series of ancient stories that are partly to do with the nature of our mind and partly seem to be narrative of some kind, but, for this reader anyway, I knew that I stood very little chance of being able to remember the characters (there are 100s). Disappointed I abandoned the book after 100 pages.

What most irritated me is that after the months of work of the author and the translator the publishers haven't even bothered to give us any kind of introduction to the material we are reading. And even the few comments on the cover (which is all the guidance the reader has) are misleading. On the front cover they have used a quote from Wendy Doniger 'The very best book about Hindu mythology that anyone has ever written.' I do wonder whether Wendy read the book before she gave the publishers this quote because sure this is not a book 'about' Hindu mythology - it is a book 'of' Hindu mythology?

The only other place to turn for help is the back cover where a review from the Independent tells us that the book is 'an elegant compendium of classical and Indian myths and legends' (not the same as Ms Doniger's description at all.) But what is myth and what is legend? What is taken straight from sacred Hindu texts and if so which ones? What are we reading and how are we to read it?

So - utterly confusing and for the publishers not to have provided any kind of guide for the perplexed (after all I bought the book hoping to find what was described on the cover) is as utterly bewildering as the book itself.

I lay the book aside with sadness. But this is really not for a beginner.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 6 July 2014
perfect condition

5.0 out of 5 stars Prompt delivery, good quality, 17 Oct. 2013
This review is from: Ka (Paperback)
Can't wait to read this. Prompt delivery and great quality for a used book. Great seller.
I ordered this book after reading great reviews on Goodreads and willing to learn more about India's mythology

Ka
Ka by Roberto Calasso (Paperback - 4 Nov. 1999)